Author Topic: UAI 6336 Reliability  (Read 184 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
UAI 6336 Reliability
« on: August 24, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
I know that it has been some time since the Universal Anemometer Interface (6336) was discontinued. There are still some available from our favorite vendors apparently, and I was wondering if having a spare is a good idea. Even if the unit is reliable, nearby lightning could take out the UAI. The RM Young Wind Monitor isn't hard to find used in good condition, or there is always the (expensive) possibility of getting new one. Same for the Anemometer Transmitter (6332) or for that matter any SIM unit.

Has anyone ever had the UAI go bad? I have mine for over 3 years with no issue. I know that if I buy one as a spare, it will sit in the drawer for years but it would be good to have in case.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations 668, 706 - CWOP CW4114 -  CoCoRaHS MI-PI-1

Offline Skywatch

• Weather isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: UAI 6336 Reliability
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »
Didn't have one go bad but several years ago there was a broken wire in the cable that caused wind direction issues and I wasn't smart enough to rule that out before having my UAI replaced when I didn't have to.

I don't have a spare which is probably another mistake. I bought the UAI to replace my 2010 Davis anemometer that I wasn't happy with due to poor sensitivity and then use of the reed switch in the anemometer.

With the UAI discontinued I'd probably buy a newer Davis anemometer as I understand they've fixed the sensitivity issue as well as begun using solid state magnetic sensors.
HARDWARE
Davis VP2+ with leaf/soil, Universal Anemometer Interface to NRG wind speed & direction sensors.
SOFTWARE
WD 10.37S53

Excelvan WH2310 WD 10.37S53