Author Topic: Wobbly N23DQ/WS-1001  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
Wobbly N23DQ/WS-1001
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
Has any else who has this WS had any problem with the top rocking slightly?  I have engaged slotted part of the short chrome pole up into the unit so it can't turn, and I have tightened the plastic ring (bayonet fitting) so it locks but the WS still rocks slightly.  It's enough to move the levelling ball around in its magic eye and I think the wind will certainly get it vibrating.  I suppose I could tape up the pole so the locking ring grips more tightly but if it's faulty I'd rather it went back.   

Offline rods55555

Re: Wobbly N23DQ/WS-1001
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »
Has any else who has this WS had any problem with the top rocking slightly?  I have engaged slotted part of the short chrome pole up into the unit so it can't turn, and I have tightened the plastic ring (bayonet fitting) so it locks but the WS still rocks slightly.  It's enough to move the levelling ball around in its magic eye and I think the wind will certainly get it vibrating.  I suppose I could tape up the pole so the locking ring grips more tightly but if it's faulty I'd rather it went back.   

I noticed that problem when I was installing my ws-1001 clone. It wobbles sort of side to side in a 45° angle, probably because of the position of the notches/slots on the pipe where it attaches inside the unit. I put little pieces of plastic sheet between the ring and the pole, it worked. It helped to maintain it leveled and doesn't move anymore.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:10:47 AM »
Good idea.  :-)  I think plastic would be better than tape.  I don't really want to return it because I'm happy with it plus it's a 120 mile round trip.

I saw your pics on the 'Weather Station Pictures' section.  Very solid.  I think I probably should have had mine higher.  I had to use stand off bracket to try and get some distance form the chimney pot and I think if I go higher it might get more leverage.  I'll put some pics up.

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
  • Type of station: HP1001WiFi & WH2600IP (WS1400IP)
    • Check on-line measurements and forecasts of Gdansk in Poland
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:37:50 PM »
Has any else who has this WS had any problem with the top rocking slightly?  (...)

Slight vibration on the mast sensor is not harmful - as long as these movements do not start to rain.

Sometimes, from the larger oscillation, the water collecting pan rotates on the axis and counts precipitation despite the lack of rainfall.   ;)

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
Well, we'll see what happens to mine over the next few years.  I'm not worried about the exact measurement of rainfall.   I'm a novice about most weather related things apart from wind and that is only because I used to enjoy some high-wind windsurfing back in the eighties.  I do understand the basics but that's about it. :-)   

I may be in the wrong part of the forum to ask this, but talking of rain, can anyone explain why today I had a max of 13.5mm of rain recorded today but my wife had a good 40mm in a long thin shaped trough that was lying around the garden?  I'd guess it was twice the size in capacity of my hopper up on the roof, perhaps a bit more.  I can see that her trough allows a bigger surface area for the rain to fill but it clearly made my measurement look not 'real world'.   :-)