Author Topic: Issues weatherlinkip without power  (Read 1534 times)

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
Issues weatherlinkip without power
« on: August 09, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »
I have observed when the power goes out and the batteries don`t feed the envoy, to return the electricity, the weatherlinkIP DATA is loss (have reset) all the values are 0 (only the day), if the weatherlinkIP is feed WU, that data is loss too.

Anyone else happens this?
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Issues weatherlinkip without power
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »
That is *WHY* I installed a Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) to keep BOTH my VP2-Vue Console AND my ISP router "alive & powered" through our occasional monsoon thunderstorm power outages. I also power the VUE console with BOTH 3xC-cells batteries and AC-power adapter; which allows me to move (and thus disconnect AC power) the Console between rooms when necessary.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:52:11 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »
That is *WHY* I installed a Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) to keep BOTH my VP2-Vue Console AND my ISP router "alive & powered" through our occasional monsoon thunderstorm power outages. I also power the VUE console with BOTH 3xC-cells batteries and AC-power adapter; which allows me to move (and thus disconnect AC power) the Console between rooms when necessary.
Exactly the same here. Nice to know my "stuff" is always putting out. :-)

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
Ok that solve the problem, but i think is not normall this happens!, it΄s could dont send info the time without power, but why have to reset the data sent?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
Ok that solve the problem, but i think is not normall this happens!, it΄s could dont send info the time without power, but why have to reset the data sent?
The 3xC-cells can power the Console for a reasonable time, but they can NOT power BOTH the Console AND the WL-ISP for very long, because the WL-ISP unit consumes a LOT of power driving the signal going to the router/internet.

How are you powering your console? Using only the 3xC-cells, only the AC-adapter, or both?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:34:59 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 04:47:42 PM »
With an envoy they will be "aa" cells and not "c" cells which will supply considerably less power, and, I expect, odd results.

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
The 3xC-cells can power the Console for a reasonable time, but they can NOT power BOTH the Console AND the WL-ISP for very long, because the WL-ISP unit consumes a LOT of power driving the signal going to the router/internet.

How are you powering your console? Using only the 3xC-cells, only the AC-adapter, or both?

only powering the envoy (+data logger) with 3xAA, but the problem is why have to reset the day data?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
When the power stops to the clock-microchip inside the Envoy, it looses track of time & date; and, restarting, re-establishes the time & date values.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
Anyone else happens this?

No, not any more. What you need to do is power proof your system. Multiple ways to do this and nothing is absolutely time proof as eventually if there is no power for long enough then any backup support will not run for ever.

Mains power backup and solar power backup is a slightly different approach but systems can be put in place to quite significantly extend up time during outages. The basic principle is to use battery supply and the supply time is directly related to the size of the battery, doesn't maintain power long enough then simple, get a bigger battery. Talking 12 volt batteries using 12/5v convertors where 5 volts is required, even multiple batteries structured with Low Voltage Disconnect devices so as not to totally run down all batteries on backup. It can be done   

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »

only powering the envoy (+data logger) with 3xAA, but the problem is why have to reset the day data?
Why aren't you also concurrently using the AC-power adapter? With BOTH in place, the Envoy will *run* off the AC-power when it's present and automatically revert to the 3xAA cells when power is lost. That way the AA-cells are NOT being used until a power shortage occurs, ie: they'll be closer to "full-charge" to start with and thus provide a longer "battery" use time. They won't however last more than a day at best because of the high power consumption of the WL-IP unit.

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »
When the power stops to the clock-microchip inside the Envoy, it looses track of time & date; and, restarting, re-establishes the time & date values.

Ok, understood.

Thanks everone for the answers, since now i going to make some modifications to the setup.