Author Topic: Solar sensor problem.  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Solar sensor problem.
« on: July 29, 2017, 01:34:20 AM »
Hi folks.

I'm noticing a problem with my solar readings. Thursday night around 11:20 PM my solar readings started reading "5". Tonight the solar readings settled at "9".

My solar sensor is installed on the roof via 80' of Davis's cable spliced in. It's worked fine until Thursday night. I checked the cable for knicks and cuts or gnawing by rodents and couldn't find anything. I considered it might be an RF problem from a nearby power cable. Unplugged that and no improvement. I unplugged and replugged the sensor twice and no improvement.

The only thing I can think of is possibly moisture gotten into the splice enclosure. Something I might check on tomorrow. But other than that I can't think of anything else. I don't want to have to send the sensor to Davis and for that matter I can't afford it.

Any suggestions? I would email Davis but it's the weekend and I want to get this figured out as soon as possible.

Thanks.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Solar sensor problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:02:26 AM »
I had this some time ago with a solar sensor and had to replace it as it was faulty (and out of warranty as well  :-( ).

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »
I was afraid of that. :(

Thanks.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »
God answers prayers. My solar sensor is working again!

With the light of day I decided to get a closer look at the solar sensor and cable. Turned out the cable was compressed between the main mast and an aluminum beacon holder. I'm not sure what was happening. (Probably EMF phenomena. Anyways, freed the cable and waited until after sunset and sure enough the solar radiation dropped to 0. I don't have to spend 137$ for a new sensor!

Thank God!

I am a storm chaser.