Author Topic: personal air pollution sensor  (Read 698 times)

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
personal air pollution sensor
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
Got this post FaceBook $229.00 to $259.00 to by a sensor.  There is maps to click on at the bottom of the web site. Here is the post on WU https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/purple-airs-250-air-pollution-monitor-gives-government-equipment-run-money?__prclt=mEVwbM1N

Thinking about a personal air pollution sensor? Based on cost and on laboratory and field evaluations by air pollution experts, we recommend the PA-II by PurpleAir (purpleair.com) as the best outdoor air pollution monitor for personal use.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:12:00 PM by mmorris »
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
Re: personal air pollution sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:07:29 PM »
I got the same email as most everyone else did.  I have been giving it serious consideration.
A lot will depend on the ability to integrate some of the data into my own personal web site, not just what Purple air has.
Either Purple air, or WU needs to supply everyone with a widget they can add to their station that will display the current AQI, but then link to the Purple Air for more info.

Bob
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline eliteweathernz

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »
Hi guys,

Weather Display Software is intergrated with the Purple Air Sensor and data can be displayed.

Depending on the software your using you may have limitations.

Im sure in time Purple Air will work towards some form of app or other intergration for weather buffs to add data to there website.

Data can be downloaded in JSON format from the website if you know your sensor Id.

Offline eyecue

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »
The actual sensors are not expensive, but Purple Air uses 2 identical ones to correlate data against itself and provide redundancy.
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
I sent Purple Air an Email,
I asked if they had a target date to include Ozone in their sensor.
After really thinking about it, I would do this once they include Ozone.

Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline azchrisf

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
I'd love to get one too, but it needs to be integrated with WU's station page like Davis Soil/Leaf sensors are, otherwise it's just one more gadget, one more thing I have to go to somewhere seperately to monitor, etc.

Having all the data at your fingertips is key. An API to pull data is important too, such as if I want to populate a SQL DB or a Meteotemplate, etc.

Offline Toxic

• Contributor
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
There are two ways to access the JSON data:

All sensors: https://www.purpleair.com/json

One entry: https://www.purpleair.com/json?show=<ID> where ID is the ID of the sensor you want (in the case of dual laser where ParentID is null).

I am thinking of getting one of these to for my area as there are none even from government or local councils.

More info on the fields of data can be gained from contacting them, they are however a bit slow in responding.

afaik there is also a web/widget code they are working on for websites, and WU will be mapping the sensor data too, though not sure if this is tied into your own PWS site on WU.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:14:44 PM by Toxic »
Regards Simon

Offline azchrisf

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:52:53 AM »
I pulled my sensor data JSON but it has nothing like their webpage that shows history, etc.
I can't even get the current AQI from the JSON file, not there.

Starting to look like a dud. Map sucks (weird sensors show up on the left), no web widget, poor API...
Hardware is interesting but the key is having software to back it up. You can't even update your sensor info via their website.

Pretty poor IMHO. Wasn't ready for launch.

Offline Toxic

• Contributor
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 06:35:32 AM »
Starting to look like a dud. Map sucks (weird sensors show up on the left), no web widget, poor API...
Hardware is interesting but the key is having software to back it up. You can't even update your sensor info via their website.

Pretty poor IMHO. Wasn't ready for launch.

It does seem they have jumped the gun so to speak. I'm holding off until I hear some more and if WU will add AQI to the users WU Weather Station site.

Would also be nice if this unit could save to a mysql database locally.
Regards Simon

Offline azchrisf

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
Yeah I think it's a good idea to hold off until they do some more work on the software.