Author Topic: VP2 reception  (Read 865 times)

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
VP2 reception
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
I replaced the battery 2 1/2 years ago when it suddenly flatlined on me and a few months ago bought another new battery ready for when it started to lose reception. i don't look every day but noticed yesterday that the reception was dropping down to around 40% but during the night it goes up to around 90%. We put the new battery in and it didn't make much difference, maybe up a bit, but normally I run 100% reception. Nothing new in the house to interfere and no one nearby has a weather station. So what could the problem be?
Hope someone can shed some light on this please. Station is 8 years old.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: VP2 reception
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
your supercap on your ISS board out doors could be failing.   there are two theories,  one is to replace the supercap if you are handy with a solder iron and the other is to replace the unit.

In the US, there are a number of places that sell it cheaper than Davis, my favorite is Scaled Instruments in Florida. Good price and great service.   The new board comes as the back half, with a new antenna.  You have to pull out the foam plug and feed your sensor wires out.  Hang on to the solar panel as it doesn't come with one.  Davisnet has a video on how to replace it.  I have done it twice and it is no big deal.   The fact that the video exists seems to  tell me that this is a thing that happens.    I see you are in Portugal and there are places that someone here might suggest to go for parts, or to order it  internationally.   Make sure that if you do buy the ISS , it is of the same type as your receiver, that is if it is EU, then you have to get the EU version

I guess there is a third option, you can bat this around with various retired engineers that frequent this board for several weeks or month, before you decide to either replace the super cap or the board.   I would replace the board as it is possible that the transmitter is also failing.

I did replace the supercap myself.   I had broken my arm in a winter fall, so I bought a new ISS unit and then when all was healed, put in the new supercap and now use it for a soil surface thermometer   and it works fine.

Your choice ,  and you are welcome.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:40:24 PM by Aardvark »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 08:57:22 PM »
I'm one of those retired engineers, and I don't have any guess as to why it would be better at night, than during the day.

Please let us know what you do, and how it works out.

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. Last night the reception slowly crept up and then when I looked this morning at midnight it shot up to 100% and so far it has stayed there. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
My OH did say something along the lines of it is charging a capacitor up.
Bought the station in the UK as everything here has to be shipped in and much easier to find a supplier in the UK than one in Portugal or Spain or elsewhere in Europe.