Author Topic: Just installed an A/C fan into my VP2!  (Read 10790 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Just installed an A/C fan into my VP2!
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
Works well I've never had any AC fans fail over several years but every 4-5 years I swap out and put new units in. If anyone gets AC fan remember to add plug to order.
Good idea only run these outside on GFCI circuit should outside/garage circuit not have one already they sell extensions with GFCI built-in.
Randy

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 08:14:41 PM »
In this picture you can see the separation.
You are right, the GFI will not trip if anything goes wrong on the DC side such as letting the smoke out the components.  :-)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Thank you for the clarification. Hopefully this will solve his problem cause I'm out of ideas.  :?

Wait I'm lost. How does that solve my problem? What does that mean?
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »
You are right, the GFI will not trip if anything goes wrong on the DC side such as letting the smoke out the components.  :-)

Thank you for the clarification. Hopefully this will solve his problem cause I'm out of ideas.  :?

Not saying it does solve your problem. IF water got into the fan assembly itself, it could have destroyed the motor WITHOUT tripping the GFI. That part I did not know was possible. However, this means with your new motor properly sealed as 'dupreezd' shows, it MAY fix the problem. With your lack of knowledge in this area and how you relate it to us can make trouble shooting very difficult. 

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2017, 08:39:15 PM »

Not saying it does solve your problem. IF water got into the fan assembly itself, it could have destroyed the motor WITHOUT tripping the GFI. That part I did not know was possible. However, this means with your new motor properly sealed as 'dupreezd' shows, it MAY fix the problem. With your lack of knowledge in this area and how you relate it to us can make trouble shooting very difficult.

That is an understatement for sure! I am going to be pissed if something like this happens again with the new fan!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »

That is an understatement for sure! I am going to be pissed if something like this happens again with the new fan!
This is not rocket surgery. You, we, us, will get it eventually. [-o<

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »

This is not rocket surgery. You, we, us, will get it eventually. [-o<

Like you said, when you're dealing with someone with no real knowledge in this area, it damn near can be rocket surgery! I have basically come up with everything in my mind that could have gone wrong (as have you), double checked everything. Talk about extremely frustrating! I just want a fan for my FARS again! New fan should be here tomorrow.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
After replacing the fan when it is still on the ground, without powering it up, give it a good soaking with a water hose. Start at the bottom and work your way up until you see water getting in, or not getting in.

Also, Google "cable drip loop".
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:51:51 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »
After replacing the fan when it is still on the ground, without powering it up, give it a good soaking with a water hose. Start at the bottom and work your way up until you see water getting in, or not getting in.

Also, Google "cable drip loop".

I will definitely seal the cable that goes to the PCB plus do a drip loop. At this point I will do anything to keep it running.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2017, 07:18:25 PM »
Well, feels like deja vu for me. Just installed, again, the same AC fan into my VP2. Here's to hoping it doesn't crap out like the last one or I will just have to say I have the worst luck. LOVE the temperature response again, especially after taking it apart and cleaning it while waiting for the new fan in the mail. Almost looks good as new with a 67 cfm fan and a 31!

BTW, about the last fan, when I took it out and plugged the fan directly into outlets inside, it still didn't work. That would suggest that water somehow got into the motor and destroyed it, right?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »
Almost looks good as new with a 67 cfm fan and a 31!

BTW, about the last fan, when I took it out and plugged the fan directly into outlets inside, it still didn't work. That would suggest that water somehow got into the motor and destroyed it, right?

61 CFM probably sucked water right into the fan.  With 3+ times what's necessary airflow expect issues.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »

61 CFM probably sucked water right into the fan.  With 3+ times what's necessary airflow expect issues.
Please....
I hose off my VP2 from the SIDE and the fan doesn't bat an eyelash.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2017, 07:42:46 PM »

Well this time I sealed with caulk the 2 cables going directly into the fan's PCB. Hopefully I won't have any issues.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »

Please....

Then I just wonder how/why mine decided to take the ride to fan heaven after only a few days.  :? ](*,)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 08:05:36 PM »

Please....

Then I just wonder how/why mine decided to take the ride to fan heaven after only a few days.  :? ](*,)
Who knows, may not have even been water related.
And when I say hose off, I mean full blast. A Cat 5 would have a hard time duplicating that much sideways rain. :-)

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
If I do decide to install a 67CFM fan into my VP2, how would I do it? Would the fan work with the power provided by the VP2 station itself or would I need another source of power?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
If I do decide to install a 67CFM fan into my VP2, how would I do it? Would the fan work with the power provided by the VP2 station itself or would I need another source of power?
If you want anything bigger than the stock motor, you'll need a/c power from somewhere.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »
Well, after a 4.30"/hr rain rate storm, my fan quit working, AGAIN! Basically everytime it pours, it quits. I don't understand it, maybe my climate is too wet for an electric fan or something. This really pisses me off. I guess it's back to the stock fan.  :evil: ](*,)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2017, 06:47:46 PM »
maybe my climate is too wet for an electric fan or something.
No.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2017, 07:40:11 PM »
I am really sorry to hear that. Do you know where the rain comes in?
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »
I am really sorry to hear that. Do you know where the rain comes in?

Hell if I know. I thought I sealed it good enough this time. Apparently water is coming in SOMEWHERE, just can't figure it out. Not sure if I'm willing to spend the $$ for another. Might just go back to stock.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2017, 07:55:29 PM »
Send me some close up pictures so I can have a look. Two eyes better than one
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
Send me some close up pictures so I can have a look. Two eyes better than one

Once I take the shield apart tomorrow to put the stock back in I will take pics. I think perhaps I should have sealed around the LED which I didn't/didn't think to.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2017, 08:36:37 PM »
I sent you a link of lower 24 CFM AC and and optional 20 CFM DC that will work.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
This is the AC fan I'm now running since Cooltron stopped making the low temperature rated fan. These are ball bearing fans rated -40C to 70C  size 80x80x25.

PDF fan specs: http://datasheet.octopart.com/UF80B12-BTH-Mechatronics-datasheet-43730124.pdf

Cooler guys sells the fan here: https://www.coolerguys.com/products/mechatronics-80-x-25mm-ac-115v-fan-uf80b12-bth

They do have speed controller option if 24 CFM is still too much option. Cord is separate purchase not included.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:54:22 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline gvmelbrty

• Sandia Knolls, NM Weather
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2017, 10:29:08 PM »
I just installed the AC fan referenced above per @ValentineWeather's suggestion (thanks for your help by the way). I have it plugged into a WeMo wifi switch, so I can easily turn the fan on/off manually via the Internet .. and automatically via parameters, such as, "fan off IF avg-wind >20 AND time-of-day = night" (but as of now, I plan to leave it on 24/7). You can quickly see the temps rise when it's switched off, even in a 10-15mph breeze. Interestingly, during a rain storm last night, the humidity increased with the fan on and decreased with it off (for some reason, I thought the fan might decrease humidity by artificially drying the air). So, the fan really does a good job.

This is in a new DFARS enclosure and a with a new SHT31 temp/hum sensor (required -0.9 correction applied to all consoles). At 24 cfm, it's relatively quiet. You start to hear it from maybe five or six feet away.

I read elsewhere on this forum that the corners of the fan would need to be slightly shaved in order for it to fit into the fan chamber. I used a hand-held file on each corner of the aluminum frame:

Installed in DFARS with a tight fit:

Final installation:

anything