Author Topic: Acer Aspire One netbook on sale $300  (Read 22212 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: Acer Aspire One netbook on sale $300
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2009, 01:38:44 AM »
Are people running more than one weather software package on these? No problems?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
Haven't tried yet.  I'm content with Weatherlink and viewing graphs on the Wunderground site.  My weathercam is an IP cam, so goes directly through the router, not through this computer.  FYI, I just saw my Acer Aspire one 8 inch screen offered at PC Richards (up here in NJ) for two sixy something.  I paid 298 over the winter.  I also saw the ten inch screen model offered for 329. (USD)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »
I've started looking at them lately as I wouldn't mind pushing the weather data off my main box. Seems silly to be forced to run that 24/7 when there's a cheaper alternative with such a small physical footprint.

I'm happy with WeatherLink as well but have been wanting to run some others too. This one box I use for Weather is running a few other things as it is. Sometimes it all gets in the way.

If that Acer can run multi Weather software AND VM95 I think I would have to definitely put off the much desired Boltek another month or three.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2009, 02:54:24 PM »
The 8.9 (9 inch) netbooks are really heating up. They all have similarities with memory, processor..etc. but as an owner of a Mini 9 and a guy with big fingers...the keyboard is a bit of a pain. Also the screens are wide not tall so you have to do alot of scrolling on some. I love the Mini 9 and it floated around 2 of the offices I support with great feedback but the comment was the keyboard was a bit tight to difficult to type on. I told everyone at work that if you plan on doing Photoshop renderings or Autocad...well the mini can't do it with any speed. I am selling my Mini 9 and going for a Mini 12. Problem is the Mini 12 only supports 1 gig of memory (soldered in) and no SSD. My 9 has SSD and 2 gb of memory. The HD in the Mini 12 is only 4200 rpm and PATA not SATA ( one of the minis offer a 5400 rpm drive) which will affect performance. I hear there is an SSD that will fit it so I am reseaching that. So there will be trade off. The Verizon deal everyone is raving about makes you sign a 2 year contract for the cell card that is internal. Unless you travel alot, you will spend double the cost of the mini. We have cell cards at work and in our area the connect rate is between dial up and dsl. No plans for Sprint or Verizon to upgrade the towers.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
The Verizon deal everyone is raving about makes you sign a 2 year contract for the cell card that is internal. Unless you travel alot, you will spend double the cost of the mini. We have cell cards at work and in our area the connect rate is between dial up and dsl. No plans for Sprint or Verizon to upgrade the towers.

Welcome to my world!  Here at the house, I average 150-200 kbs with the Verizon modem.  But that's much better than 26.4 kbs on the dialup (that's what I have the weather computer on).

To top that off, since Verizon bought Alltell, they've got to sell a bunch of stuff to AT&T (mostly the rural stuff, which probably will include me).  We had AT&T when we moved here and there was no coverage.  So unless they've improved their coverage or they get some of the Verizon towers, I'll be going strictly dialup.  :(
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
Boooopppp BEEEPPP HIISSSSSSSSS....I remember those days. I have friends in rural Indiana that are stuck with dial up. One is on a small company called Rochester Telephone Co or RTCOL. Suddenly they are offering some kind of broadband for $14/mo for the first 2 years ! I hope you have better luck when you get AT&T again. I am on Comcast which absorbed Insight Cable which used to be Telecable. Lucky for us Telecable which was bought by AT&T and later turned into Insight built a good infrastructure before Comcast got them. 

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2009, 08:35:32 PM »
Boooopppp BEEEPPP HIISSSSSSSSS....I remember those days.

Auto-connect was much nicer than throwing a toggle switch when you heard the other 300 baud modem finally come online...

"DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE - I'M USING THE MODEM!!!" ... fun times, indeed!

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
That was like magic being able to connect to that favorite BBS and Download all that free software.  8-)
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2009, 10:08:48 AM »
I ran a BBS for 10 years on 3 phone lines. That was the days of auto connect. I do come from the days of dial the phone, listen and then shove it into the rubber rings of the coupler. Ahhh 110 baud was screaming back then. Before that I was working on sending phone messages by pigeon...got arrested for sending dirty bird calls..... #-o

No living things were hurt in sending this message...but a bunch of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

anything