Author Topic: WLK Files corrupted.  (Read 1600 times)

Offline DAVE Z

WLK Files corrupted.
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:59:32 AM »
Over the course of time my WLK files get corrupted. As a result I have 0 data for the month. I have been cautious and copy the WLK files to a safe drive about every two weeks. The bad
files show they have only 1 byte of data when I view a folder of them with Windows explorer. I have a few months of data missing. Is there any way to recover the data? Why does Weatherlink cannibalize it's files? Thanks-Dave

www.croftonweather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: WLK Files corrupted.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »
May or may not be salvagable:  try Jruy's WLK Reader/Writer
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
Why does Weatherlink cannibalize it's files?   

Weatherlink almost never does that.  The usual cause is file corruption (bad disk drive sectors, killing software improperly, etc.).

How do you shut down your computer?  (Or are there frequent power failures, etc.?)

Is there any way to recover the data? 

Depending on your type of logger, archive interval, etc. - for recent month or two, shutting down Weatherlink, deleting the corrupted .wlk file, and restarting WeatherLink may recover the data (from storage in the logger).

Offline DAVE Z

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I will try that reader program. My WX computer runs 24/7 but it does freeze up about every two weeks on average. I get a message about Windows having a "fatal error".

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
My WX computer runs 24/7 but it does freeze up about every two weeks on average. I get a message about Windows having a "fatal error".

Fix that Windows problem and you'll almost certainly stop having corrupted .wlk files.