Author Topic: Laptop computer destroyed with Davis weather link 6555  (Read 2781 times)

Offline darkstarpa

Laptop computer destroyed with Davis weather link 6555
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:22:43 AM »
I had the software on my laptop. Could not recover anything.
Just got a new laptop and was hoping I would be able to install the software again.

What I have done so far.
1) Downloaded the software on my new computer.
2) Went to set up mode. During this process I am using my cwop station ID for the new site. Not sure is the correct procedure.
3) I get to the communications port set up and get stuck.
Using communications - serial
com port - com 1
baud rate 19200
hang up wait time 1 minute
click test and get a message - error  opening(-11) com 1 . Is not present in your system or in use by another program.
auto detect - no station found

Let me get some feedback.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:27:46 AM by darkstarpa »

Offline eyecue

Re: Laptop computer destroyed with Davis weather link 6555
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »
Can you change to serial port 3? Did the drivers for silicon labs get installed (there are 2)
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
Can you change to serial port 3? Did the drivers for silicon labs get installed (there are 2)

The thread subject mentions 6555, so if correct then no serial ports involved.

@darkstarpa:

'Downloaded the software on my new computer': Do you mean installed from the WL CD? Just downloading the WL 6.0.3 update won't get you very far.

Then if you do indeed have a 6555 WeatherlinkIP logger, obviously you need the TCP/IP option in Communications Port. Check the instructions supplied for the details.

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline darkstarpa

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »

The thread subject mentions 6555, so if correct then no serial ports involved.

@darkstarpa:

'Downloaded the software on my new computer': Do you mean installed from the WL CD? Just downloading the WL 6.0.3 update won't get you very far.

Then if you do indeed have a 6555 WeatherlinkIP logger, obviously you need the TCP/IP option in Communications Port. Check the instructions supplied for the details.

I used the WL link cd that came with the product.
The bar code on the box has 6555.
Did the set up process again. Got to the baud reading on the set up at 19200 on the vantage pro 2 consul.
Went back into the set up process.
This time used the communication port TCP/IP connection.
Do I need to click one of the box sections in the TCP/IP connection such as local device ID, remote IP address or web download?
If I run the test an error pops up - TCP/IP:communications error found. check local settings & try again.

Did not have this issue when I first set up the system over a year ago.

Offline darkstarpa

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
I think i got the set up complete.
Will update on the status later. Need run out for a few hours.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Offline eyecue

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

John is correct, my bad.  You need the device ID or the IP address of it
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »

Just curious - did you follow the printed instructions when you did that setup a year ago?

Offline darkstarpa

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »
http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

John is correct, my bad.  You need the device ID or the IP address of it

I have got though the set up process. Heard the 3 beeps etc.  IP address logged.

New issue is that after the set up mode my Vantage pro 2 ISS does not take a signal from the consol.
Bottom right on the consol goes from a "R" to a "L". Lost signal. Only getting readings from the inside and not out outside.
Been reviewing the instructions and looking for other answers on the net.

Any input. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Offline darkstarpa

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

Just curious - did you follow the printed instructions when you did that setup a year ago?

Yes. No issues the first time around.

Offline eyecue

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 06:28:19 PM »
What laptop did you get?  How close is it to the console?  Does it have Bluetooth?  I am wondering if the laptop is interfering with the ISS signal

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
Is the ISS transmitting?

Did you try taking the console closer to the ISS?

What do the console diagnostics say?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »

New issue ....
Any input. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Feedback: if you don't participate, your questions look like trolling.

Offline darkstarpa

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
Final update.
I reached out to Davis for input as I was stumped. Got it figured out this morning..so I am back in the game.
FYI - if this happens to you. You don't need to update any of the settings with the weatherlink software after you download it again or create a new station ID. Your ISS and console already have the program/station ID

Here are the instructions to change your stations ID.  Use this as a reference to check your settings.

•                     Go out to your transmitter and slide off the door, locate the DIP switches to the right of the battery.  There are 4.
•                     Look over the diagram below and let’s go with ID # 3
cid:image001.png@01CED4B5.F50AAE10

•                     Using a small tool like a paper clip or small screw driver Flip the 2nd DIP switch to the ON position (Up is on, down is OFF).  Leave the 1st, 3rd,  and 4th DIP switches down (off position)
cid:image002.png@01CED4B5.F50AAE10
•                     Next, go over to the console and set it receive from the ID #3, too.
•                     Go into setup by Holding the DONE button and pressing the  " - " button, simultaneously.
•                     The first screen you will see is "RECEIVING FROM", press the DONE button once to get to the Transmitter config screen.
•                     You should see a 1 on the line and below that ON<ISS>.
•                     use the “+” or “ – “ to toggle it to OFF.  Then, use the > button to go through each ID, 2 through 8, and make sure they read OFF as well.
•                     When you get to ID 3 use the “+” to toggle it on.  It should read "ON<ISS>" with the number 3 appearing on the line.
•                     Press and Hold the DONE button to exit setup.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »

I reached out to Davis for input as I was stumped. Got it figured out this morning..so I am back in the game.

So, what was it that you got figured out?

My guess - mismatched channel numbers between ISS and console.  Footnote: the instructions you mentioned are in the printed manual and available online.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:14:42 PM by dalecoy »

Offline darkstarpa

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 08:02:50 PM »

So, what was it that you got figured out?

My guess - mismatched channel numbers between ISS and console.  Footnote: the instructions you mentioned are in the printed manual and available online.

Station is reporting again. What I figured out.
I must have missed the section in the instructions.
The connection between the ISS signal & the console. A few steps I assume I was missing.
Not a tech guy here, so some of this stuff is hard to figure out.
Also had the 1st switch triggered on the ISS. I may have had the wrong station ID in the console as on or off in partnership wit the ISS.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:06:40 PM by darkstarpa »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 10:51:52 PM »
OK, thanks for the info.  If you spent some time on the telephone with Davis, that's often easier than using the forum - but on the other hand, if you had answered a few questions here, I'm sure these good folks could have helped.

Of course, we assumed that the ISS and console had been communicating properly before the laptop failed.  I guess that wasn't the case.

Our next question would probably have been "what's the channel number setting on the ISS, and is that the same as the one set in the console????"

Anyhow, glad you got it fixed.