Author Topic: Video Streaming with Linksys Routers  (Read 2625 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Video Streaming with Linksys Routers
« on: November 25, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »
My several year old Linksys WRT1900AC died a few days ago in that I could no longer access it with my password in order to configure it and it wasn't functioning properly.  Netcam Suite could no longer connect with my HikVision camera that looks onto my patio.  I temporarily inserted an older Netgear router that was properly configured for most of my network while awaiting the arrival of a Linksys LINKSYS EA9500.

After installing, configuring, and opening the proper ports in the new LINKSYS EA9500, I couldn't stream video via the net with Netcam Suite even though I could see the streams on my LAN.  I downloaded and installed the latest Webcam 7 version, opened the proper port on the router, but couldn't stream with it either even though the external WAN port was open!  Frustration for a couple of days...

Looking at the configuration on the LINKSYS EA9500, which is very similar on all Linksys routers, I couldn't figure out what was blocking the video stream.  One seemingly innocuous setting under 'Configuration/Administration' was checked: 'Express Forwarding'.  When I unchecked this setting, voila, the streams were now visible.  It turns out this is a known problem (see post #207 here) with video streaming and Linksys routers, but very difficult to troubleshoot because 'Express Forwarding' is checked by default, and I only found this link by searching for 'Express Forwarding' after the fact.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I haven't tried to restore video streaming with Netcam Suite, but I can now connect to both cameras through the LINKSYS EA9500.

Webcam 7 streams from my PatioCam and my StreetCam.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com