Author Topic: Completely Wireless Web Cam  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Pocantico

Completely Wireless Web Cam
« on: July 16, 2016, 05:08:41 PM »
Hi All, My first post here.
I have a Vantage Vue Wireless and I am looking to add a webcam. I am interested in the Netgear Arlo because it is wireless and battery powered. I have two questions: Is it compatible with the Vantage Vue? And if so, does anyone have any experience with it? Any replies and advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Completely Wireless Web Cam
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
What do you mean "compatible"?  It is a standalone device.  I am sure you can FTP from it to your website if that is what you are asking. Netgear is OK stuff but not top tier IMO
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Pocantico

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »
Alright. Thanks.  Are there any other battery powered, wireless cams that you are aware of?

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
    • The weather in Jefferson, GA
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 06:42:49 PM »
I have the arlo system, and to be honest I am completely surprised how well it functions (as a motion detection-alert system).  The issue for using as a weather cam will be the cost of maintaining the batteries.

arlo will not ftp but you could set up local storage, save to there with a scheduled script to ftp up to a server.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »
Well, the Arlo is not going to work well as a wireless webcam.

From their web site...

Your Arlo Wire-Free cameras are battery-powered and are not intended for continuous recording.The batteries in your Arlo Wire-Free camera last for about four to six months with normal usage, which is about five minutes of recordings a day.

I believe this has been discussed here before. While a true 24/7 wireless/cordless network camera can be built, it will be bulky and expensive, requiring a large battery and a way to charge it (solar/battery swap/etc).

For instance, I have an older WiFi D-Link camera that requires 5 watts at 5 volts/1 amp. That's 24 amp-hours at 5 v, or 120 watt hours a day. A quick search finds 6 volt/12amp-hour batteries for $15 plus shipping. You'd need 4 batteries minimum to maximize battery life and then a way to charge them every day.

Offline Pocantico

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I plan on placing the camera to function both as a weather cam and a security cam. But, yes, if battery use becomes an issue I'll find another use for the Arlo. I am not aware of any other battery powered, wireless cams available at this time.