Author Topic: Same URL different format  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Same URL different format
« on: March 27, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »
My PC rolled over and died, the Harddrive and mother board. I had all my backup data saved on cloud and external drives So my wife offered to buy me one of my choice.  I had been thinking of going off the grid and get an iMac. I saw them at the Apple Store and thought an all in one might be the ticket.  I am not doing school work, IEPs or much of anything and I already had an iPhone (6 plus), an ipad air, and an ipod touch , having the iMac would be fine.

First problem I encountered  was that weatherlink for the mac is nothing like  the weatherlink for the PC.   It doesn't take into consideration extra sensors and soil moisture. Now the IP does, but the desk top nada.   Weather display worked but at times the computer kicked out the connection.  I explored other software and came to a conclusion.   The grass isn't always green over the septic tank.

The next problem was that what I had been using for  a website doesn't work on a mac.  So.. I  did some digging and came up with Sandvox and it works fine .  A learning curve but fine.   

Third problem,  not possible to upload the ip webcam to the site using a single name file. they all want to tack on extensions to date and time, even when it isn't selected.  I had been thinking that I get so little traffic as it is, perhaps to just hang it up when the contract runs out. of course that isn't for a while.  SO.. I redid my site.

In inserted the weatherlink.com pages of my weatherlink stuff with the IP logger, using Sandvox and will add stuff as time goes on.    The weather history will be added and I have to streamline that as the data has to be redone. I use excel and fortunately the files are compatible in both PC and Mac.

I like the computer, but the file structure with a PC is easier to understand.  I see why it is harder to hack a mac.  I also have Bitdefender for the antivirus as it doesn't use much resources. The bitch (sorry) is that these particular computers come with a non replaceable or upgradable memory.  The other is unless the computer sleeps the monitor is on.  I can tone down the light,but it is on and the other is if a prgram is running, it won't sleep.   

There are 4 USB 3.0 ports so I had to add a 7 port external usb for external HD drive,  keypad and CD/DVR player.  I also got apple care.

I am surprised that there are not a lot of programs for the weather station  for the mac.  I am using El Capitan as that is what came with it.  I tried Weathersnoop and it didn't read my information although both Weather display and weather link did.

the new site is: www.desmoinesweather.org
So... my new site  is www.desmoinesweather.org

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: Same URL different format
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »
Looks good as always! Thanks for the heads up on the domain change  8-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Same URL different format
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:21:09 PM »
Looks good as always! Thanks for the heads up on the domain change  8-)

I am experimenting with the output of Weathercat.   Weatherlink for Mac doesn't give much data and definitely doesn't take in any extra sensors or stations. That is a bummer if I am doing stats and need all the data.   

I contacted Davis if they were going to have a mac update and the impression I got was when hell freezes over or Trump is elected.