Author Topic: "Self Built"sites  (Read 24170 times)

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
"Self Built"sites
« on: February 06, 2015, 02:26:53 AM »
I know the most popular sites are the ajax/php sites using one of the amazing templates available to us, but I'm wondering if anyone wants to share their non ajax template sites.  It could be anything..... all custom built,  WD generated, VWS generated, those using widgets like Wunderground, etc.

I'm very interested to see what's out there so that I may steal some of your ideas :)
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: "Self Built"sites
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:08:41 AM »
Well, my site does use Ajax, but it is nearly all 'home grown', and runs on an old PC under my desk at home over an ADSL link.
http://weather.wilmslowastro.com/

I've gone for mainly reporting from my station and not included much data/images from other sources.

The site also attempts to be responsive to the client screen size.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:57:16 AM by mcrossley »
Mark

Offline tobyspond

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:14:28 AM »
Most of my site is self built:  www.tobyspondweather.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:35:30 AM »
I Get a Error 403 - Forbidden trying to go to Toby's Pond.
Tony

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 08:00:22 AM »
Mark

Offline tobyspond

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 08:01:29 AM »
It's fixed now.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
 :grin:
Tony

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »
A lot of mine are Weatherlink based templates.

especially http://weather.rms.rdale.org/learning.php

I had NO experience in html or coding.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Hi skysummit,
   I know you saw my website on a different thread but figured I'd share it with you and others again on this thread because it is very relevant to the topic. I use widgets like weather underground only and run a free version website through webs.com. It works great! The only downside I see with it is I have to do manual updates on some things that are normally updated automatically with the ajax/php scripts. These particular things aren't needed though, just extras I like to have on there. Other than that it works great!
http://bearpondareaweather.webs.com/
        - Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »
Plenty of Cumulus generated template sites also, especially across the pond where its very popular. My site was also like this before finding this site and the Saratoga scripts.
For real-time which I've always considered a must I just used the WU rapid-fire script as many still do. This combination works great, & very reliable. 
Randy

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
I built mine just so I could keep up with what's happening and what's coming while I'm at work or away from the house.  There's about 6 regulars that look at it every day.  I'm glad to provide a service to a rural, non-served area.  It's not fancy, but there's all the (what I think) important data and a view out the window with the "Bambi-cam" (the deer come around when I throw some corn out there).

http://www.wattsbarweather.net
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 09:39:34 PM »
My first website I put together without using the Saratoga template.  I just used WDL for current conditions, added some images and displays using a third party RSS/Atom feed parser and used some CSS code for the menu that I found on another website.

http://ucweather.org/wxindex.php

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »
Looks like you're in the Pineapple Express.  I hope CA benefits from that rainfall and it doesn't all just run back into the ocean.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 10:28:13 PM »
^ Yep, we are actually on the bottom edge but, should get a couple inches out of it anyway.  Some places have gotten about an inch so far with more on the way.  And yes, it will be beneficial however, we need a lot more to end the drought.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 10:41:46 PM »
Thanks guys...some nice looking sites there.  I would like to do a complete re-haul of mine since I can't use the templates.  Technically, I am using the templates...just not for my weather data.  I do like having the NWS advisory scripts as well as some of the others I'm using though.  I think I'll keep that stuff, but switch to the widescreen view to give me more room to place in various items in the main area.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 11:20:13 PM »
You can adjust the saratoga css file to your liking with an editor change colors too. I've tinkered around with mine using different screen resolutions and came up with a size I'm happy with. Still messing with the colors however. I started with the narrow teal css screen. 
Randy

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
Mine is all "Self Built", inspired by the ideas of Carter Lake, which is what the Saratoga templates also originated from. It's a lot more work to fix things as they break though.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 12:46:35 AM »
I've changed mine to the wider view, but noticed the resizing of my Wunderground app is not taking affect in Firefox and IE, but looks good in Chrome.

I wish I had another option to use that would give me the daily highs and lows.  I guess I could always manually input them into a table and comment that section out when ever I'm unable to update it.  I may switch back to the findu panel and try the manual update option.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 01:23:01 AM »
My site is all self built html on top of VWS.  www.skunkbayweather.com
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »
Way back when I had a website it was   all from scratch. Did it all in Front Page. I was looking for some screen shots but I guess they have since been deleted.
I like the personal touch. The Saratoga's are nice but they are basically all the same with a few different modifications.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »
Way back when I had a website it was   all from scratch. Did it all in Front Page. I was looking for some screen shots but I guess they have since been deleted.
I like the personal touch. The Saratoga's are nice but they are basically all the same with a few different modifications.

I believe I remember yours!  I was pretty active on here about 5 years or so ago.

I keep tinkering with my site...made it the wide view last night.  The only down side I see is it sucks on mobile devices so I may just make a new page with a a more column like display for tablets and such.  I mean, it's probably pretty much me who uses it LOL, but I do hope others in my area will find it useful down the road. 

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »
FWIW....  I made a mobile device page for my site.  I designed it for an iPhone, but it seems to load fine on other smartphones.  It's just a stripped down, resized site.  Here is the link: http://www.skunkbayweather.com/mobile.htm 

BTW....  It's a lovely day here in the Pacific NorthWet.....  Flood warnings everywhere.... Wind gusts here yesterday to 45... More on the way....  This is going to be about a 5 day parade of an atmospheric stream storms.... :-(

Greg

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:57:45 PM by GregJ »
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
FWIW....  I made a mobile device page for my site.  I designed it for an iPhone, but it seems to load fine on other smartphones.  It's just a stripped down, resized site.  Here is the link: http://www.skunkbayweather.com/mobile.htm 

BTW....  It's a lovely day here in the Pacific NorthWet.....  Flood warnings everywhere.... Wind gusts here yesterday to 45... More on the way....  This is going to be about a 5 day parade of an atmospheric stream storms.... :-(

Greg

Eww...yea, I saw your QPF a few days ago calling for 12 - 15" of rain over 5 days.  Nasty.  It's in the mid 60's here and not a cloud in the sky.  Tomorrow will be in the 70's.  It's Mardi Gras down here right now and the Mardi Gras stretch looks really nice.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »

Greg

Eww...yea, I saw your QPF a few days ago calling for 12 - 15" of rain over 5 days.  Nasty.  It's in the mid 60's here and not a cloud in the sky.  Tomorrow will be in the 70's.  It's Mardi Gras down here right now and the Mardi Gras stretch looks really nice.

Perfect weather for flashing boobs.  :-P
Randy

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
LOL....boobs   =D>  =D>  =D>

I have an idea....hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.  I'd like to place what I highlighted in red, on the homepage of my site...JUST that section.  Anyone know how to do that?