Author Topic: Vantage Pro2 ISS direct to Computer via Cable  (Read 11664 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Vantage Pro2 ISS direct to Computer via Cable
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2017, 11:30:06 AM »
I also tried supplying power to the small power jack, with the battery disconnected (and the supercap discharged), and got the same results

Again, I don't know if it makes any difference (probably not), but the wired ISS is supplied with power through the 4-wire cable.

I presume you have carefully examined the ISS board for the presence/absence of jumpers that might:
a.  Provide a different input source for U91; and/or
b.  Tell the firmware to work as a wired system.

Also, just curious - is this ISS still transmitting a wireless signal, also?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:50:12 AM by dalecoy »

Offline cokey

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
Yes, I know that the wired ISS is powered through the cable. I cannot imagine why it would make any difference. The two outmost wires of the RJ11 cable are already wired to VCC and ground, I checked. So theoretically, it would be possible to power the wireless station through the cable too. Haven't checked that, though

I have examined the board for jumpers, didn't find any. However, I have not compared my board with a wired one. If you can upload a hi-res picture of yours I (front and back) can do that. In fact, when I get home on Tuesday I will post pictures of mine  :-)

And I don't know if it is transmitting a wireless signal yet. I didn't order a console, because I intend to build one  :grin:
The parts will arrive in a few days and I will test for a wireless signal.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2017, 04:51:24 PM »
Front of 6152C Board Manufacturing Code A50804A028

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:55:10 PM by dalecoy »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »
Back of 6152C Board Manufacturing Code A50804A028

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
Looking at the scope images posted earlier, they resemble the radio packet structure somewhat. That stars with 16 high bits (used as some kind of carrier signal), ends with 16 high bits (placeholder for repeater data) and there's a 2-byte preamble (0xaa) and 8 bytes worth of bits in between (6 bytes payload + 2 bytes CRC). After the first series of high bits there's only an alternating stream of high/low bits? If so, it must be some kind of clock data. The radio protocol uses a bit rate of 19200 which is half of that of the alternating part. My guess is it's related to the radio proto in some way and you're either SOL and no serial data to transmit on wire or it appears somewhere else on another leg of the CPU.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
I have not compared my board with a wired one. If you can upload a hi-res picture of yours I (front and back) can do that. In fact, when I get home on Tuesday I will post pictures of mine  :-)

Is it Tuesday yet?

Offline cokey

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »
Sorry, there was a forecast a I went windsurfing in Turkey.
Here's the best I could do. It's very different from your cabled one

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline cokey

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
I got the wireless part working.

So the wireless ISS is working properly as a wireless station, but not working as a cabled. Meaning, it correctly transmits everything via its wireless signal. The signal over the serial cable is nothing like a serial signal -- it's not a RS-422 signal.

I assume the firmware is to blame.

Offline dwall

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »
I notice on the wired unit that dip switch S21 is not installed but a zero ohm resistor (R24) connects the last switch position (#4).  According to the manual for the Wireless version, only the first three switches are used to set the address.  How much do you want to bet that setting the fourth switch to ON will enable the wired output?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Here's the best I could do. It's very different from your cabled one

Well, you asked for "a hi-res picture of yours I (front and back)", but you only supplied a picture of the front of yours.  So, I can't make a comparison of the back (but you obviously could).

And I don't see that it's very different.  Ignoring the parts that are clearly related to wireless, and those clearly related to solar/battery/supercap power, of course.

There's the obvious question of what's under your S21 - is R24 installed?

For just one other instance - J92.  Details like jumpers are important. 

And don't simply "assume the firmware is to blame".  Personally, I assume that the firmware is not to blame.

You asked for clues.  Please let us know how the wind is blowing.

Offline cokey

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2017, 02:52:22 AM »
I notice on the wired unit that dip switch S21 is not installed but a zero ohm resistor (R24) connects the last switch position (#4).  According to the manual for the Wireless version, only the first three switches are used to set the address.  How much do you want to bet that setting the fourth switch to ON will enable the wired output?

I already tried switch #4. The station enters test mode, the LED starts blinking and it's sending test data over the wireless link. But the wired signal does not change.

Offline cokey

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2017, 03:07:17 AM »
There's the obvious question of what's under your S21 - is R24 installed?
For just one other instance - J92.  Details like jumpers are important. 

I doubt R24 is installed on mine, otherwise the DIP switch #4 wouldn't do a thing. I did try switching it on, with the scope attached, and the signal did not change.

J92 is maybe something like a test point, or designed to be closed. I don't see a guide/pilot on that, so I think it's really a jumper and not a socket for plugging something in. But anyway, it's not closed on your board either, so it's not it.

Do you know what J72 (ACLK) on your board is for? Mine doesn't have this.

And don't simply "assume the firmware is to blame".  Personally, I assume that the firmware is not to blame.

You asked for clues.  Please let us know how the wind is blowing.

You're right, of course, should not assume anything prematurely. The wind was good, I broke the nose on my board =)

I'm getting back in 2 weeks and will disassemble the ISS and get better lit pictures of the board, both sides. I can't really remove the board from the station, because the antenna is soldered to the board and it and the antenna cable doesn't detach from the antenna.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2017, 04:43:30 AM »
I can't really remove the board from the station, because the antenna is soldered to the board and it and the antenna cable doesn't detach from the antenna.

Easily removed (including antenna) by pulling our the small white pressure plate that compresses the rubber seal where the antenna exits the backplate (and undoing the 4 screws of course).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:03:36 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline cokey

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2017, 04:48:19 AM »
I can't really remove the board from the station, because the antenna is soldered to the board and it and the antenna cable doesn't detach from the antenna.

Easily removed (including antenna) by pulling our the small white pressure plate that compresses the rubber seal where the antenna exits the backplate

Will try that, thanks

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »
I doubt R24 is installed on mine, otherwise the DIP switch #4 wouldn't do a thing. I did try switching it on, with the scope attached, and the signal did not change.

I doubt that R24 is really zero ohms.  And if you actually examine the circuitry (by removing the DIP switch on your board), I suspect you'll see something entirely different from your conclusion. 

J92 is maybe something like a test point, or designed to be closed. I don't see a guide/pilot on that, so I think it's really a jumper and not a socket for plugging something in. But anyway, it's not closed on your board either, so it's not it.

Incorrect.  It is closed (with a jumper across the installed pins) on my board.

Do you know what J72 (ACLK) on your board is for? Mine doesn't have this.

I have no idea what that is, and it's connected to some circuitry that your board doesn't have, either.  However, note that the revision numbers are different between your board and mine, and (I presume - you didn't say yet) that the manufacturing codes are different.

Please let us know if you make more progress.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
Does this help visualise what is connected to what!

Edit: Or perhaps this?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:11:05 AM by mcrossley »
Mark

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
That is a good way to see what's going on.