Author Topic: CarterLake/Saratoga PHP scripts  (Read 4514 times)

Offline ADM

• Contributor
    • Barrow County Weather - Barrow County, Georgia
CarterLake/Saratoga PHP scripts
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:31:24 AM »
Hello,

Anyone know where and why the "Dry" is consistently showing up under the "Summary/Temperature" section on the main page?  See www.rockycreekweather.com, you can't miss it.  I have looked through WD and the scripts and can't seem to find what is causing this.

Thanks in advance!

Al...

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: CarterLake/Saratoga PHP scripts
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »
'Dry' = icon 5 is the default for 'It's not raining'.

To have other conditions displayed, you'll need to engage a METAR (for sky conditions) and/or a Solar Sensor (for cloud density based on solar %).

See http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,25119.0.html for some tips on how to set WD to do that.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ADM

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:14:17 PM »
Hi Ken

Could not see how to include some images regarding this issue, send them via email.

Thanks!

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:25:26 AM »
To have other conditions displayed, you'll need to engage a METAR (for sky conditions) and/or a Solar Sensor (for cloud density based on solar %).

Not to hijack the thread, but is that the basis of the current condition icons in the station table used in RMWN? I was wondering why some use METAR and others don't.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »
On the RMWN (and other regional weather networks), the METAR is used for WeatherLink stations, and for VWS stations that don't have a default METAR setup inside VWS for cloud conditions.  For WeatherDisplay stations, the iconnumber from clientraw.txt is used (never the METAR).  The setup inside of WD for the current icon can be either a local METAR and/or a solar sensor .. it's up to each WD station to set the conditions icon based on best available local conditions data (METAR and/or solar sensor).   Folks who haven't done an icon setup in WD will report icon=5 (Dry) which shows 'Not Raining' and the sunny sky icon during the day, and a 'clear night' icon during the night.

Hope this helps...
Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »
Yes, very helpful - thanks. That explains why only a few of us show as METAR. As for me, it's a result of using WeatherLink.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
    • Carolina StormWatch Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »
Hi Ken,

Having problems with the current conditions icon on my site. It is always is showing a sunny day or clear night icon but the current conditions description is correct.

Right now, I am experiencing Tropical Storm conditions but the clear night icon is showing. Using ILM Metar info. Clicked on the image in WD as explained in the thread below and it shows the ILM Metar is correct with a heavy rain (night) icon but the image with my Weather Station image is showing a clear night.

The thread explains the Metar and WD icons but with my clientraw file why is it not pulling in the correct icon? This is also affecting my SEWN information. Same problem.

Not sure what I have missed. Seems I am having the same problem as Al.

www.carolinastormwatch.com/index.php

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:29:36 AM by stormwatch »
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 12:36:54 AM »
Since you don't have a Solar sensor, let's try this for settings in WD to get the Metar to report sky conditions (and set the icon) but with WD rain/wind overrides.

WD, Control Panel, FTP and Connections, METAR download TAB:
  select a nearby Metar and 'use this station id'
  Tick Use this metar for local sky/icon conditions (and have the box next to it show the selected metar)
  Tick Use the metar to update WD' main weather condition report
  Set 15 minute download interval and Metar switch set to ON.

WD, Control Panel, Summary image/icons, Set Icon from downloaded Airport Metar TAB
  Tick: Use Downloaded Metar to update the icon
  Tick: Include extra weather conditions from downloaded Metar
  Tick: Show the metar image on the web page
  Tick: Your stations rain/wind/fog overrides the metar.
Main screen Icon/Forecast icon setup/Text Scroll TAB

UNtick: Use the WD918/WRK918... forecast for updating the main screen icon.

That should set the icon according to your selected metar and the icon and text should follow after that.

Hope this helps...
Best regards,
Ken

Offline ADM

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:25:13 AM »
Hello Ken,

Thanks for the information.  I have verified my setup as you have referenced.  Still getting weird results :)  Right now my main page shows a cloudy image and the text as "Dawn, Dry, Clear skies"

Thanks again for your help!

Al...

www.RockyCreekWeeather.com

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »
Hi Ken,

I have also verified my settings just as AL has and I'm still having similar problems as AL. My WD icon on the main page is correct now for current conditions but it still is not being displayed correctly in the "Actual Weather.gif" in WD. Which translates into the wrong icon being produced on my website.  ](*,)

I have been over all my settings in WD over and over and I just can't find what the problem maybe. Apparantly, I am missing something simple somewhere. But I am still stuck with a "scattered clouds icon" on my website but the Metar.gif is correct with the "haze icon". The current conditions description are correct though.

You have given us excellent information on correcting the problem but I just don't know where to go. Maybe Brian at WD has some input that can help us out. 

Thanks again!!!  :grin:

Tom
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Problem solved finally!!! :grin:

Dave on the Weather-Watch forum suggested I check my Input Weather and I found that at some point the "Use the image as the main icon" had been checked which was forcing the Actual Weather gif to always display the Scattered Clouds icon. This was resulting in the clientraw file to send the incorrect icon info.

Website now displaying correct icon.

Thanks for the setup info Ken; you got me setup correctly with my Metar!

Tom
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline ADM

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »
Excellent!  I wish I could say the same  ](*,)

It bright sunshine outside, no clouds at all, WD says overcast.  I have checked and rechecked many times following Ken's instructions with no success.  Bear in mind I have no Solar Sensor.  Not sure what's next.  Ken, I did email you some screen shots when your time permits maybe you can take a look.

I sure would like to get this resolved since it does not give my site much credibility.

Thanks to all!

Al...

www.rockycreekweather.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »
Al, I'm sorry that our settings suggestions haven't resulted in a 'fix' for the issue.

I'd suggest you write an email to Brian Hamilton (info@weather-display.com) and attach a copy of your settings files (zipped up per these instructions) .. I'm sure Brian can locate the issue.  Be sure to include your current WD version/build info in your message.

Do let us know what the resolution is!

Best regards,
Ken

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 07:41:55 PM »
Brian did reply and the answer was

1 - You need to untick the setting in the Daily Weather Report - User Input screen.

2 - Under Control Panel, Solar Sensor, you have the switch ON there and you have ticked to set the icon from the solar data -- you need to untick that and turn off the switch there, then wait for the next 1 minute update

3 - In the Control Panel, Webfiles/Webpage Setup, Real time ftp setup,
  Tick: use the current weather from a METAR