Author Topic: 24/7 connecting WS2090 suggestion  (Read 3197 times)

Offline donlsun

24/7 connecting WS2090 suggestion
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »
Hello.
This is my initial post as a new forum member but I am merely requesting information for usage by my 12-year old son. I experience the weather, like any other creature, and read about it (Watson's "Heaven's Breath" is a great book) but my son is the weather geek - for now (you all know the fickleness of youth). He was gifted with a personal weather system (Ambient Weather WS-2090) [from his grandfather - unless situations are out-of-hand a parent does not want to incite a war by telling the grandparent what to, and not, do when it comes to their grandchildren]. Anyway, eventhough we have cable access internet service I do not keep the pc on 24/7.
I have given my son permission to create a Weather Underground account (KPAPHILA40) and to upload the data to that site. This is working out as intended: no connecting issues, data uploading to WeatherUnderground when the pc is on, and after he starts both EasyWeather then Cumulus [we also trialed a program called "WeatherDisplay" but I am not seeing the big woop enough to purchase it for 70 (USD)]. My dilemna is sending the data over the internet 24/7 without the pc, a desktop running Win7, etc.

Our home is in Philadelphia PA, a large 3-story brick dwelling built in 1865. Our internet access is through Comcast Motorola modem and I have an Amped R20000G High-Power Wireless 600mW Gigabit Dual Band (2.4 & 5 GHz bands) Router, along with its sister Extender, an Amped SR20000G. Each of these Amped devices have USB 2.0 port, which the manual states "for storage devices", which I am not certain allows me to attach the WS-2090's cable for internet access.

From that verbose presentation here is my question:
I am trying to figure the best (=ease of operation and initial set-up outlay) WIFI direct-to-internet protocol.
Ambient Weather sells the Meteobridge {wifi to internet} device,  #F5U407 2.0 USB Hub (http://www.ambientweather.com/amws2090weatherbridgekit.html) for 160.00 but when I look at the specifics of the item it seems it is merely a TP-Link MR3020 device selling at Amzn  (http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-MR3020-Wireless-Portable-150Mpbs/dp/B006DEBXD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376915778&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+mr3020) for less than 50.00. Can I use the latter or is it best to just go with the Meteobridge? I do not want to get the standalone MR3020, try to get it running as intended, and end up say, 'O crap!'.

Is the benefit with Meteobridge that one merely connects the WS2090 usb to the Meteobridge Hub which connects to the router, without the need for programming from the pc to get it running properly?

I am one of those users who knows enough about networking to be dangerous, meaning as long as it is requiring me to plug the baby in and input a few numbers from an analyzer I am fine but I do not go about overclocking clocks and the like. My son, as anyone born after 1990, is a byte-head but I will not allow him to mung up our desktop system. He has a MacBook Pro and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet but they are always with him so they would not be good, even if capable, for sending the weather data to the internet.

Is the $160 Meteobridge WIFI the ONLY way to go for the easiest connection to the internet bypassing my pc being on always or is there something I did not see during my research?

By the way, if he continues to maintain his weather-geek enthusiasm I will discuss with him the options to move beyond his basic Ambient Weather 2090 to something even more weather-geekier.

Thank you, in advance,
Don (Jamie's pop)
Fair winds & following seas ....
DonL

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: 24/7 connecting WS2090 suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
Yes you can buy a 3020 for less than $50 I got one for $30.  But!!  then you have to flash the thing with Meteobridge firmware and then buy a license for the firmware.   You might save 20 bucks and unless flashing routers is your hobby can be confusing.

The link that you showed for the weather bridge included the 2090  you really only need this
A $100 cheaper.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridge.html

You still have to use a PC to setup the bridge.   Passwords, account ID's, ect , network settings.   Ain't hard to do but it ain't just plug it in and it works.  Nothing is that simple.

Personally I don't understand the reluctance to run a PC 24/7.      I use a cheap netbook for my WX station.  It does all the bridge does and can do a lot more Is far more  flexable, and can be used for other things if needed.

I agree that you do not need any high powered software at this time.   Cumulus is probably just fine.   You might also want to look at WUHU   which I think was originally written for the WS stations.

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
I, too, don't see a big problem leaving the pc running 24/7 other than it will continue to use a small amount of electricity as it idles along.  As beaudog said, a netbook would work fine and be more useful for extra things...it would even allow your son to build and maintain his own website (who knows, maybe he'll create the next Facebook! ;) ).  A $100-$150 used laptop off of eBay (look at the Dell D610 thru D630 series...more so the D630 series) will easily handle a weather station and the uploading of data to WU, CWOP, PWS, personal website, etc.,.  A netbook or laptop will use much less electricity than a desktop will use if that is the issue.  In regards to leaving the computer running...our main computer is a Dell E510...roughly eight years old and has been running 24/7 except for the occasional power downs or power outages.  I upgraded the hard drive to a WD Black 1TB but other than that have not done any major work to the computer.  To me, the stress of powering up the computer seems to cause more problems (think about when most incandescent light bulbs blow) with them than letting them run, but as in anything else you will find arguments that agree and disagree with that.   

A computer turned "Off" will definitely use less electricity.  Would your son's access to his weather station and ability (and education) to work with the in's and out's of website communication, etc., be worth the price of a Big Mac meal each month or maybe two or three Starbuck cappuccinos?

If you do offer him further support with an upgraded station then the netbook/laptop would be even more useful to him and the need/desire/reason for staying connected 24/7 would be even greater.  If his enthusiasm dies out (hopefully and probably it won't) the netbook or laptop would still have uses.

Just some thoughts...you asked.  ;)  :grin:

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline donlsun

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Thank you for your input guys.
I had not thought of using a netbook. That seems like a great idea. I believe I still have one hidden somewhere I used about a year for my solar astronomy fieldwork.
It is actually his mom who does not want the pc on 24/7. We've had his cousins and friends show up for an afternoon, the pc configuration is all munged up, no one knows anything about it. Typical kid crap, as a neighbor calls it. Since she is the dictator of the desktop (I certainly do not use it) she likes having a handle when it is turned on, who is using it, etc. One picks one's battles, for those of you who are married. ["If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." I discovered to be more spot-on than not.] They are called "personal computers" for a reason, we all have our personal configurations, uses, for it.
I will look into the netbook-meteobridge connection. Thank you also for the corrected product link.
Gratefully,
Don
Fair winds & following seas ....
DonL

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »
If you already have the netbook then you don't need to buy anything else.

Just load it with the software and configure and you are in business.  

it will also keep all the WX stuff off of Mom's computer and son can play with the wx stuff without having to worry about no desert tonight.

My metobridge effort

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19530.0

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »
you could look at a rasberry pi
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »
(who knows, maybe he'll create the next Facebook! ;) ).

You really are a glass-half-full kind of guy!  :D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:25:53 AM »
If you "give" the netbook to your son for weather use, I don't think you will have to worry about friends and relatives mucking it up (at least not more than once), your son will protect it.

Just a thought

George

anything