Author Topic: VirtualVP 1.1.0 Beta ready for download  (Read 8352 times)

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
VirtualVP 1.1.0 Beta ready for download
« on: September 24, 2006, 04:55:22 PM »
Although I'm far along in development of version 2.0 of VirtualVP that will include a new communications core, and the ability to run as a service, it is taking longer than planned. This work has delayed the release of several long overdue bug fixes and new features. Today I released version 1.1.0 Beta. This has bug fixes and some new features, but sits on top of the existing 1.0.x communications core. During the next month or two I will be releasing a series of 1.x beta versions. Each will introduce some new features. They should be pretty stable, but I'm calling them betas because they will only get shortened testing before release, and I won't be updating the manuals until the end of the 1.x beta series, and possibly not until the official 2.0 release. After I finish the 1.x series, I will resume work on 2.0, which I hope to release around Dec 2006 to Jan 2007.

http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html
VirtualVP v. 1.1.0 Beta

Bug Fixes
Fixed some bugs and inefficencies in the low level timer code.
Fixed bug that caused excessive numbers of registrations reminder message boxes.

Features
Made the main form use a tabbed display with multiple display pages.
Added the Status display page, and made it the default page.
Added the Alerts display page. Alerts will be used to display messages that would
   have been displayed in message boxes in previous versions.
Added blinking red dot in tray icon to indicate there are alerts to read.
Added the date to the time display on the Activity page.
Added Settings menu item to control the update frequency of the Status page. Less
   frequent updates use less CPU.
Added Settings menu item to turn off animation of the console traffic arrows between the
   console and VirtualVP on the Status page. Turning animation off uses less CPU.
Optimized the code so it releases most windows display resources and skips the display
   update code when the program is minimized to the tray. This reduces the resource
   and CPU footprint of the program while minimized.
Removed the reception display from the status bar. The purpose of VirtualVP is
   communications, not the display of console or weather data. Avoiding expansion
   outside this focus improves the robustness of the program, and will also make
   the eventual migration of VirtualVP to a Windows service application easier.
Added the ability to assign custom names to the virtual consoles.
Added 4 more virtual console slots. The first four are dedicated to serial communications
   via virtual COM ports, and the second 4 are dedicated to TCP/IP communications.
   This is part of the eventual migration of the TCP/IP communications to a normal
   server architecture where a single port can serve multiple connection requests.
Changed the Communications Settings dialog to support the 4 + 4 virtual console change,
   and also attempted to simplify the dialog. Also added configuration tips.

Steve

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 07:01:45 PM »
Very nice Steve!  I've installed 1.1.0.40 and it's working great.

Love the new tabbed interface screen and the virtual console connections status panel.

Great job!

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 07:40:31 PM »
Great release Steve!  I love the new interface and naming of the connections.  V2 sounds nice, but I can't imagine what improvements a new comm core will add, it runs so well and unobtrusively already.  Being a service wil be nice, but it already sits in the tray out of the way.  Thanks for the update.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 08:30:33 PM »
Thanks Steve, been waiting for the additional ports. Looks great. Have noticed however that I picked up "Extra Temp 1" in VP Live. The readout is 63 F

-Ingo

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 10:45:58 PM »
Thanks Steve,
I'm downloading the new version now.  8)

Quote from: "Dragonfly"
Thanks Steve, been waiting for the additional ports. Looks great. Have noticed however that I picked up "Extra Temp 1" in VP Live. The readout is 63 F

I've had stagnate readings of 67-68°F for some time now.  First with extra temp1, lately 1-4 all show a reading.  WeatherLink will also show the same temps when you activate it for the extra sensors even when connected directly to the console.  Seems to be a quirk with the VP sending out data even when the sensors are not in use.  They may or may not disappear after a few weeks.   :wink:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 12:30:13 AM »
I just put up version 1.1.1

It contains a bug fix - the "Protect Console" settings for the 4 virtual consoles  I added were not being saved. Thanks to Dragonfly for spotting that.

Steve

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 01:33:41 PM »
I just upgraded to 1.1.1, and it's running fine.  I just disconnected, shut down VirtualVP, installed new version, and reconnected.  All but VPLive reestablished connection.  I had to disconnect on VPLive, then reconnect and all is working fine.

Thanks!

Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 01:08:27 AM »
1.1.1 up and running.   8)

I also downloaded the latest VWS V13.00p15 beta from Ed's blog while I was at it.  

Running double betas and living life on the edge I am.    
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 06:13:50 AM »
Nice! Love the new interface.  :D

Offline edpnjax

• RiverCityWeather.Net
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 08:02:09 AM »
Quote from: "kenmtrue"
I just upgraded to 1.1.1, and it's running fine.  I just disconnected, shut down VirtualVP, installed new version, and reconnected.  All but VPLive reestablished connection.  I had to disconnect on VPLive, then reconnect and all is working fine.

Thanks!

Ken

Same thing here. But after reconnect all is running just fine!!
Emmett

Weather for Jacksonville / St Johns FL
Davis VP2 Plus w/24hr FARS | Live Weather | Boltek / NexStorm | GRLevel3

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 07:20:41 PM »
Steve,
Just discovered that when VVP Beta looses connection with the Console for several minutes (took it outside to check reception) VVP when minimized locks up and there was no way to close it or reconnect. Did not see anything defining in control panel to shut down so the only recourse was to reboot.

-Ingo

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »
I will look into this and try to have some improvements in the next beta to deal with these sorts of things. If you could send me the log.txt file from the virtualVp folder, that would help.

Steve

anything