Author Topic: Lost input to CWOP and Weather Underground.  (Read 7488 times)

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
Lost input to CWOP and Weather Underground.
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:16 AM »
After several weeks of inputting, my data is no longer being received. I'm not sure what to check first. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, Nica

Offline marinerjoe

Re: Lost input to CWOP and Weather Underground.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:14:04 AM »
I'm presuming that you're not using a WeatherLinkIP, right? 

First off, I'd "bounce the box" by shutting down your computer and rebooting.  Do a shut down, leave it off for a standing eight count, and then bring it back up.  After it restarts, start your WeatherLink software and see if that does the trick.

If that doesn't work, are you able to view your weather station data on the computer at all?

Can you successfully browse with that computer to other websites?  I'm asking this in case you're posting your question by using a different computer - not the one connected to the station.

Joe

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »
Nica,

I expect Joe hit it on the head. Rather than "my data is no longer being received.", probably the correct statement is "my data is no longer being SENT". Regretfully I know this all too well as I am in an ongoing computer crashing episode. One small thing you might consider is using SoftWx's VPLive to send your CWOP info. Its a great little program that will advise you if the transmit fails and the price is right.

Good Luck,

George

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:54:55 PM »
If it was only CWOP I would point the finger at more recent changes they have made.  But since WU is also having a problem that would bring it back to something on your end.  What software/version are you using for the uploads?

I'll second a vote for VP Live.  Simple program, rock solid, and gets the job done right!   :cool:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:20:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Still not there. I rebooted a few times, total shutdowns. I reset the wireless router to my DSL a couple times. I shut down the console, pulled the batteries and data logger and then restarted. (sequence??). Went in to setup and verified all orig settings were the same.

I'm getting data to my computer OK and can view everything, it's just not being sent.

I'll get VPlive after I get thru this.

Thanks again.
Nica

Dav Van P2 wireless
WL 5.8.0, serial connection.
Emachine PC, wireless to router (not dedicated to weather)
DSL   Other internet functions/brousing OK.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:27:06 AM by Sawwth »

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »

Do you have Rapid Fire??

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:56:26 PM »
Does the log show it trying to upload? (In WeatherLink click "File" and "View Log")
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »
Do your WU settings still exist? I've found mine defaulted twice in the last 6 weeks but I never lost CWOP.

And like Mark said - check your log entries.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:57:05 AM »
Log entries are saying my password to IP does not match. Reset. Still not connecting. Later today I'll call my IP (small local phone co.) and have them reset it on their server. Don't know what else to do other than completely reload 5.8.0 and start from the beginning.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:58:44 AM by Sawwth »

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »
Are you on dialup internet connection?
Mark 

Offline marinerjoe

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 05:31:08 AM »
Log entries are saying my password to IP does not match. Reset. Still not connecting. Later today I'll call my IP (small local phone co.) and have them reset it on their server. Don't know what else to do other than completely reload 5.8.0 and start from the beginning.

I don't understand your first two sentences.  Does that mean that you are not able to connect to the Internet?  Can you browse to any other websites?  Is the machine you're posting here with the same one that you're using to push your data up to the web?

Joe

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
Emachine PC, wireless to router (not dedicated to weather)
DSL

I'm thinking the key might be in the above information... related to "password to IP doesn't match..."

To eliminate wireless as a problem, try plugging your computer directly into the router (if possible) (LOL, that's why I bought my own 1,000' spool of Cat5e cable, so I could make up "patch" network cables of any length...:))

Also, DSL is a whole other animal compared to cable broadband. I helped someone set up their Davis, and they finally had to ditch DSL because of the problems, mostly in setting up their free website. Does DSL require a password to access the internet connection? (in addition to the password you'll need to access your own wireless network if encrypted)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 08:53:37 AM »
I'm on DSL to our IP, which is a small phone company. As I stated earlier, I had no problems in the past with WL uploading, but something has changed with the WL uploads. I use the same computer for everything. When the upload box appears, and it goes thru the steps, the box saying connected to internet does not go to bold. All the other boxes do. I got busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to call the phone co. I'll do that Mon. When I go into File, view log, it says the password to IP is not valid. I've reset it several times, but for some reason it doesn't want to accept it. Maybe my sequence of steps is not correct.

Everything else works as normal thru the wireless router, email, surffing, forum logins, etc.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 08:57:07 AM by Sawwth »

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »
Since your computer is otherwise working fine and connected to the internet, I can't think of a reason why weather link would need a password for CWOP or WeatherUnderground.  The only other password required would be if you had a webpage to FTP the data to your webpage server.

Here's a screen print of my DSL settings, make sure you have "Connect through local server" checked instead of dialup connection.

Mark 

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 06:55:57 PM »

I may have said that wrong...in my WL internet settings.......that's where the problem is.

My internet settings require a password to get to my IP. Like yours shows. When I read the "View log", error message says incorrect FTP password for FTP name  jiminks@havilandtelco.com, and  password  xxxxxxxxxxxx. My settings and password worked for several weeks without a hitch. Now for some reason it won't take my password.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:58:38 PM by Sawwth »

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »
Make sure you have the correct host name... it's possible that your ISP changed it's FTP host name...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
My internet settings require a password to get to my IP. Like yours shows. When I read the "View log", error message says incorrect FTP password for FTP name  jiminks@havilandtelco.com, and  password  xxxxxxxxxxxx.....

But the FTP password you see in in my picture is for my personal website only, not CWOP or WeatherUnderground.  WeatherUnderground is HTTP not FTP and CWOP is another format.  That's why any FTP password you have there should not make any difference as far as preventing CWOP or WeatherUnderground from working.

That's why I'm thinking there is something else going on other than a password issue.

One other thing, double check you have "Internet Transfer" enabled.

Now a couple more questions..   ;)

Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Using Windows Firewall?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 08:29:14 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »
I understand about your password. I have to have a password to log in to my ISP. I us my telephone company as the host and the means to get to the internet with my WL data. It has worked wonderful until a week ago. But, now when I go to View Log, under Files, there is a error message saying my password is no good.
I've got XP and using windows firewall, which has not been a problem.

I think this is something I'll have to work out with the phone co.

One more thing, whats the correct sequence to "reboot" the control console?

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 11:39:45 PM »
Ok, maybe your phone company's DSL setup is different then mine.  I do of course have an ID and password but my modem / wired & wireless router combination box automatically logs in with that information when it boots up.   Then my two computers log into it.  If either one of those fails I cannot get on the internet at all.  I have not needed a phone company ID and password in WeatherLink or any of my software since I got rid of the old dialup connection.

In the windows firewall you might try adding WeatherLink in the "Exceptions" tab.  Seems like that gave someone some intermittent problems in the past.

For rebooting the console..

(1) Shutdown the computer.
(2) Remove console batteries
(3) Remove console AC adapter
(4) Remove Datalogger (optional but not a bad idea while you have the console powered down anyway).
(5) Let set for a few minutes.
(6) Plug Datalogger back in.
(7) Plug AC adapter back in.
(8 ) Plug batteries back in.
(9) Double check your settings in the console setup screen and make sure your showing both inside and outside data.
(10) Startup computer and Weatherlink.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:44:45 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »
Got caught up with all the summer projects. Back to weather.

Currently;

Rebooted the console yesterday.
Loaded VPlive
VP shows it's connected but it's not getting info from WL, says connection interrupted.
WL View log shows successful upload to APRS every time.
 findu.com still not receiving data.
I'm certainly not doing something correctly.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 09:27:25 PM »
Welcome back Nica.   :grin:

You do realize that you cannot run VPLive at the same time as WeatherLink right?

You can however set VP Live to run WeatherLink every 5 minutes to once a day.  If you do want to run them them both simultaneously you would need to use Virtual VP.

I would start by working with VPlive only and see if you can get it to receive data and upload to CWOP.  If you can get that to work then that eliminates computer or connection to the console problems and points the finger to something going on in WeatherLink.
Mark 

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 06:02:23 AM »
Hooray hooray hooray!

Thanks Mark. With your help and patience with me, and help from others here, I'm again getting data to APRS/CWOP! That's a big achievement for me with my very basic computer knowledge. I cannot thank you enough! It's exciting to see "my" data on Weather Underground again.

I rebooted the console, changed a couple things in the setup, and like magic, there it was. Still one little glitch, VPlive is saying it can't find the WL application file. I don't know if that's a big deal or not.

And no I wasn't aware that I couldn't run WL and VPlive at the same time.
Now with cauction I can get VPlive at 100% and then start working on my own web site.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Glad to hear you had success!   8-)

....Still one little glitch, VPlive is saying it can't find the WL application file. I don't know if that's a big deal or not....

Most likely means one of two things.  Either your starting VPLive with WeatherLink already running or your WeatherLink data file location you entered in VPLive's settings is incorrect.  Either way no real big deal but it does effect how VPLive handles/calculates some of the data when first activated.  For example obtaining the 24 hour rain total amount is one thing he mentions in the "read me" file.

I think Steve mentioned at some point making changes to where VPLive would not need to read that file at start-up to acquire historical data from the past several hours.
Mark