Author Topic: Do I need a new Com port driver?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
Do I need a new Com port driver?
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »
I would like to install VVP on my Win 7 (64 bit) weather computer. This machine has been happily running Cumulus (and VWS, alternately of course) with the Silabs virtual Com port driver for over a year.

Do I need to install one of the drivers listed on the VVP website (such as Com0com), or will the Silabs driver installed now also work for VVP?

If the former, do I need to uninstall the Silabs driver first?

Or

If the latter, do I just install VVP and connect to my existing virtual Com 3?

Thx
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:16:59 AM by Moose Whisperer »

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
Re: Do I need a new Com port driver?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Moose    I > THINK < you have to buy the 64-bit com port driver, it should tell you that in the 'third-party driver' section of the VVP website.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:16:16 AM »
Well, that's my question. Since the driver I am using now works just fine, isn't it already by definition 64 bit?

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 05:43:53 AM »
Derek,

That's a different driver that VVP requires.  It will create 4 virtual com ports that will be connected to the serial port that the Silabs driver creates, Com 3 in your case.  Then you can connect to those virtual ports (6-9) with your various weather programs.  The drivers are two different animals.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:18:17 AM »
Thanks Jim, that helps a lot!

But that raises another question. So then I don't uninstall the Silabs driver?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »
It should not make any difference.   When you run COMOCOM or what ever virtual com port driver that you decide to use it will create virtual com ports.    you will use the new virtual com ports with VVP.    I think I still have the Silabs driver on mine. It is just not used.

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
You need to leave the Silabs driver installed. Virtual VP needs it, to be able to communicate with the console. You need the Silabs driver between Virtual VP and the console, and Com0Com (or whatever) between Virtual VP and your weather station software. Or use TCP/IP instead between Virtual VP and your software, but you still need the Silabs driver.

Eric

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
Thanks again everyone, this is helping a  bunch!

But to summarize to make sure I understand correctly - if I plan to use my weather apps in TCP/IP (which seems to be the recommendation around here anyway from what I can tell), then I shouldn't even need the com0com driver?

In that case I would simply:

Install VVP to connect with my existing com 3 (Silabs) port.
Configure Cumulus and VWS to run on TCP/IP ports.
And I'm done.

right?   :grin:

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »
Yes I believe that will work.      I have WL and Cumulus on this computer and connect to VVP across my network using TCPIP. There is no virtual com port driver on this computer.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:36 PM »
You only need a virtual COM port driver if you want to have your weather station software connect via COM ports -- otherwise, have your weather software connect via TCP/IP to ports offered by VirtualVP.

If you want to use virtual null-modem COM ports on Windows7, you will need a signed-driver in order to make it work.  Unfortunately, the only one I found that does this is the (purchased) Virtual Serial Ports Emulator http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html for $25
It works great on my development Windows7 system with VVP connected via TCP/IP to one of the VVP TCP/IP ports on my main weather system -- then I have 4 COM and 4 TCP/IP ports to 'play with' and right now, my development system is running WXSolution (COM), WSWIN32 (COM), and wview (VMWare hosted Ubuntu-natty Linux system) (TCP/IP).  If you decide to use the Eterlogic emulator, I'd be glad to share the startup command and configuration file to create COM5-COM8:COM15-COM18 mappings).

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
Here is one I never heard of before but it claims to be free and looks like it will work.    I might geive it a try if I get bored.

http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-virtual-serial-ports

Well I tried the thing and there is no way I could make it work with VVP so either I am dumb or its darn hard to set up.

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »
Thanks again for all of the replies everyone. I'm getting ready to start on this. And Ken, if I do end up going the Serial Port Emulator route, I'll keep your offer in mind.

Thanks again!

anything