Author Topic: Say Hello to My Little Friend Isaac  (Read 16122 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Say Hello to My Little Friend Isaac
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 10:46:25 AM »
^  I'm leery of those kinds of things.  Sometimes the cure turns out to have more side effects than the original problem and they may not show up for many years.  Long enough that traditional studies and tests may not find them.

In the early 20th century, the U.S. Government paid farmers to plant the vine to control hillside erosion and as feed for cattle.
http://www.fsu.edu/~imsp/silent_invaders/new_weeds/guide/plants/kudzu/kudzuorigin2.html
Yeah, that's true.
The difference here is that they are hard wired to go after fire ants to lay their eggs. Of course that doesn't mean they could go after another species but being there are so many fire ants here in the south I don't think they would seek out another prey.
Who knows though. :-|

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
Wish Isaac would move on out of here already!!! Very humid!!!
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
Finally back in town after a few days off exploring the midwest.  :roll:  We got a little over 5 inches at home and a little less then that out at the farm.  Amazing event though.  It was the most perfect slow steady rain I've ever seen.  We did have a few tornado warnings in the area and Saturday got a little hairy as I was driving.  I saw this black rolling mass to the south and did know if I should try and out drive it so to speak or pull over or what.  Of course I couldn't get my phones radar to cooperate so I kind of out drove it.  I got into a heavy rain core but luckily no severe wind.  I did see a lot of downed corn though because of some of the stronger gusts. 

All in all I feel really lucky to experience this event because it was very unique how the rains came, how the atmosphere felt, etc.  Very neat experience. 

Feel really sorry for those that got hurt and lost property down south though.  Thoughts and prayers with them for sure.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42:53 AM »
Isaac remanants rolled by here yesterday.  Was supposed to start around 11am, of course it was 3 hours early.  Not great for first day of school drop offs.   First band between 8 and 9am, just over an inch.  Scattered spitting till noon.  Got another inch in a half hour.   Then nice constant rain for another hour or so.

Total here, 72.6mm (2.85 inches)

No wind at all.  Some good lightning here and there. 

EC issued a TS warning, then quickly ended it.  I suspect someone hit the wrong button, as it only met 1 of 4 variables, and that was the rainfall one.  TS watch most of midday.  The of course issued a Rainfall warning, but that was after the "damage" was done.  Almost none here after that.   

The cells were very isolated.  The official EC station at Buttonville airport just a few miles away got 104.8 mm.  We usually track identical so shows the tracks were slightly north-east vs easterly.  Toronto Pearson airport which is further west and south only got 44mm.

The pool is up to half inch from the coping.  Which is actually good, as I have a new 'slow' leak.    Since Labour day weekend was probably the last blast of swim weather, hopefully I wont have to waste expensive water keeping it topped up till closing at end of Sept.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
"Got another inch in a half hour" kind of paints the picture of the rain fall. Wow!! Good gutter and downspout tester there.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:58:52 AM by DanS »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 07:14:01 AM »
Yup, I was working from home cause I like to take kids to school on first day.  All the gutters and window wells performed good.

My neighbour not so much.   He got a bit of flooding last dowpour.  I told him then when he had his basement windows redone they put the mud/clay back in the wells and the water wasnt getting to the pipe that goes down to the weeping tile.   He kind of took a stab at fixing over the weekend.  Saw him Monday, he showed what he did, but he was waiting for contractor that "did" the job last year to come and finish.  Unfortunatly the contractor showed up at 3:30pm.  In the peak of the storm I looked over the fence and the water was level with the ground.   :shock:  "Luckily" he already had the water damage, but dont think the window (aka aquarium) kept out more than 90% of the water.

Andrew

"Got another inch in a half hour" kind of paints the picture of the rain fall. Wow!! Good gutter and downspout tester there.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
Here's a pic.
And yes, there is 2.5 feet of window below the white part.

Andrew

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 07:19:57 AM »
Believe it or not remnants of Isaac moved over the northern gulf yesterday as a low pressure system and are expected to cross over north Florida in the coming days.
He's sure making the rounds.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »
We're getting remnants of Isaac here now and it is HUMID....dewpoint is 74 and we get real blasts of rain, then nothing, then more blasts.  0.58" so far with RR's of +2"/hr.     EDIT: since I posted this, we have picked up another 0.26"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:51:13 AM by moehoward4 »
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2012, 01:19:54 PM »
Total here, 72.6mm (2.85 inches)
We missed most of it with only 7mm

Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster