Author Topic: After Download- what happens to the data in logger?  (Read 7951 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: After Download- what happens to the data in logger?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
That's substantially correct.

"In order to use multiple weather programs simultaneously, is VVP required?"

Short answer: yes.  If 2 or more programs are trying to access the same logger at the same time, something has to "direct traffic".

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »
VVP is required to run multiple pgms simultaneously.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
2) In order to get the logger to work initially, you must install and configure using WL software.
thats not true in alot of respects either
e.g weather display can be used to setup the data logger (time, logging ingterval) without having installed weather link at all
(if you have a usb data logger you will need to install the silicon labs USB to serial driver (doing it directly means you get the latest version of that driver, which fixes lock up problems with the older driver)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
2) In order to get the logger to work initially, you must install and configure using WL software.
thats not true in alot of respects either
e.g weather display can be used to setup the data logger (time, logging ingterval) without having installed weather link at all
(if you have a usb data logger you will need to install the silicon labs USB to serial driver (doing it directly means you get the latest version of that driver, which fixes lock up problems with the older driver)

Earlier, I said:
Bottom line:
1.  Your logger won't get any data until some software program tells it to capture data. 
2.  After it gets data, it keeps the data until told to erase it by some software program (or until it runs out of room and starts overwriting old data).
3.  Some software programs can read whatever data is in the logger and tell the logger to capture data. 
4.  Re-read item 2 above.

I should have clarified that "some software program" can be WeatherLink, and might be other programs - but probably not every other program. 

Thanks for clarifying the situation for Weather Display.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
OK.  Let's set the record straight.  Which programs besides WL can read from a WL logger's memory and which rely only on LOOP commands?

I'll start off.  The Meteohub server can read some data out of the memory, but I think it is limited to a short gap in the data it missed when its LOOP command couldn't be executed.

all the 3rd party PC programs can read the history data to fill their data gap when they are not running
(I was not refering to meteohub, which is designed to be running 24/7 on a lower power system)

So why is it that whenever someone has posted that their computer was off with third party software and they missed LOOPed weather data, that no one here explained how to recover the archival data from the logger with the software.  I don't use the other software so I don't know what it can do, but from the lack of help people with missing data got it seemed that backfilling data from the archives was impossible.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Stevea

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
If you use the WLIP logger you don't need to ever communicate directly with it as it will start to log and transmit data to Weatherlink.com all on its own.  You will need is an internet browser to set up and configure (perhaps to forward your data to Weather Underground or the like) your Weatherlink.com account. 

After that you still only need an internet browser to look at a summarised (by the site) version of your data.

You can have Weatherlink installed on your computer and still not ever bother to communicate directly with the WLIP logger as you can use WL to periodically download the full set of data sent to WL.com by the logger (which is how I use WL) and it is a lot quicker than downloading directly from the logger and holds about 4x as much history relative to the actual logger, although it is never quite as up to date.

You only need to communicate directly with the WLIP logger if you want to change its default settings and for this you will need Weatherlink or some other software that will talk to the logger.

Steve
VP2 + Solar, Envoy + WLIP

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
So why is it that whenever someone has posted that their computer was off with third party software and they missed LOOPed weather data, that no one here explained how to recover the archival data from the logger with the software

In weather display you just need to have the switch on in the data logger setup
then WD will catch up on missed data since last running at start up

you can even manulay set the time/date to get the data from, if needed
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

anything