Author Topic: Vantage vue + meteobridge  (Read 1221 times)

Offline wymkeu

Vantage vue + meteobridge
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:35:38 PM »
Hi all,

After a few failed attempts with weather stations over the years, I ordered a Vantage Vue last week. would have liked to have got the pro2, but can't really afford it. I was a bit disappointed by the cost of the Davis ip data logger, so I ordered an MR3020, flashed it with the latest Meteobridge firmware and ordered a cable from belfryboy (awesome work by the way!).

The Vue arrived on Friday, mr3020 & data logger USB cable arrived on Saturday, and thanks to a kids christmas display that I didn't need to attend - I had the 3020 flashed, cabled up to the Davis console and configured to upload data to 3 different weather sites in under 30 minutes.

All very straightforward, and made that way mostly through people on this forum, so I wanted to say thanks very much for your help - even if it wasn't directly aimed at me.

Because I cant leave anything alone, there are other bits to the setup that I'm considering, such as setting up an rpi with something like weewx and potentially trying to get additional sensors around the house/garden into the DB to generate graphs from - but I'll leave that until later.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:39:57 PM by wymkeu »

Offline hillyjd

Re: Vantage vue + meteobridge
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »
I've had the Vantage Vue 6250 for for several years and really like it.  No problems whatsoever.  Have never tried setting up a personal weather station or collecting the data until recently when I purchased a fancy WiFi drip control system that is capable of linking to a PWS so that it can turn on irrigation zones based on actual weather conditions.  In theory will save me a bundle but now I'm motivated to get a PWS setup.  Yesterday I ordered a Davis clone data logger from Belfry Boy in UK.  About $60 at current exchange rate.  Not sure what the next step is, but I'll let you know how mine goes.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:20:07 AM »
wymkeu,

I'm pleased that your setup was smooth and painless, and thanks for sharing!

hillyjd,

could you provide some more information on your WiFi drip controller, it sounds fascinating, I've not come accross anyone else using one of my loggers to do this, so I would like to have a look and may be able to advise on a way ahead.

Offline hillyjd

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
The WiFi drip controller is from a company called Rachio.  Their website is www.rachio.com.  They've got a blog site as well.  Here's a link to some of the info on how they use a PWS.  http://support.rachio.com/article/71-personal-weather-station

I've got the controller up and running (it's the generation 2 version) and on the app, it shows me PWSs in the area.  The nearest one to my property is over 3 miles away.  So I was thinking my Davis would be perfect if I can figure out how to set up a PWS and have the Rachio app recognize it.

Thanks for all your help.

Hillyjd

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
Sounds like a neat application.  Looks doable:  https://github.com/johnny2678/wupws  I'd run it on a Raspberry Pi
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline hillyjd

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »
Yikes - I'm 65 years old and my last programming class was Pascal in 1988.  Is a Raspberry Pi preferable to doing something with my laptop?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 07:39:11 PM »
The code is Unix based and would be a bit extra work to get it to run on the Windows laptop.  You could run it under VirtualBox I guess.... but a Pi is way better and costs like 50 bucks.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline hillyjd

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »
OK - I just took the leap.  Bought a Raspberry Pi 3 "starter kit for beginners" for $75.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks for the help.  I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.

anything