Author Topic: Is it real?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Is it real?
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
Got this from a Florida weather forum I visit. Was taken last night in Sebring, Florida.
Looks spectacular but is it real.
Unfortunately these photo shops have got too good.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Is it real?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »
I vote real.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »
+1

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »
Got this from a Florida weather forum I visit. Was taken last night in Sebring, Florida.
Looks spectacular but is it real.
Unfortunately these photo shops have got too good.

Yep, the guy screwed with a perfectly good shot to the point where people can't tell if it's real anymore.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:37:48 PM by Moose Whisperer »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
I don't know how much the photo was tampered with, but there are a few things that are real concerning.

The purple color is way off.  There is still light in the sky from the right side, and if the clouds were illuminated by a city or such, should have a much more orange glow from most of the lights used nowadays, plus it would have to be very bright.

Then, look at the two clouds just to the left and below the origin of the strike.  The side towards the viewer is illuminated and there are no 'shadows' from the light source, which is the strike.  With the intensity of that arc light going off, you'd expect the clouds to be darker, not lighter.

It to me looks like a time exposure, of at least a few seconds, with the purple color enhanced and the strike not being the only source of illumination of the clouds.  And the peculiar thing is the after-sunset lighting in the blue of the sky to the right side of the picture.

Something isn't right here, but it may be do to just too much tweaking and all.

There was a series of magnificient lightning bolts from a young man in Romania or such here a few years ago, and when his bolts illuminated the surrounding area, it was pretty obvious from shadows and all.  Even with a bright strike, the light intensity fall off should be pretty marked over the miles across the bottom of the cloud and yet it doesn't seem to be.

Tweaking?  Maybe.  Faked?  also possible.

I'm curious what others think.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »
I think it is real and tweaked a bit. Look at the upper left side and you can see more lightning coming out the side of the cloud. I don't' think a "shopper" would think to add something like that.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »
I went looking for lighting and other pix from down in the Sebring area and have some amazingly beautiful pictures, all which have to have been heavily tweaked and contrast adjusted and so on.  I am thinking this is a real picture but just fiddled with.  A lot.  Some of the others, with a sunset illuminated cloud for example, are just gorgeous.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 12:09:13 AM »
I'm no expert, but I'd have to say that you can't get that contrast ratio from the dock on the shoreline and the foliage with lights, then balance that with the whisp of clearing in the background, and preserve the intensity of the lightning bolt all at the same time. HDR might give the basics of the shot after getting lucky enough to capture the lightning bolt. Lots of noise in the pic suggests HDR and multiple exposures. JMHO. Nice shot!
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 01:46:37 AM »
I'm no expert, but if you look where the lightning touches the trees, it looks like it was superimposed over the trees. If it were actually hitting there, it seems it would have hit a tree and caused a flash or fire or something.   :-k

But what do I know?  LOL
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
I'm no expert, but if you look where the lightning touches the trees, it looks like it was superimposed over the trees. If it were actually hitting there, it seems it would have hit a tree and caused a flash or fire or something.   :-k

But what do I know?  LOL

I thought the tree line was actually a peninsula and the lightning was hitting the water on the other side. You'd certainly be right about the explosive impact of a strike in the trees, although the trees appear to me to be in the foreground.  :-|
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 08:33:25 PM »
Gregg it looks like those trees are in the foreground. If it did hit those trees that would mean it was super close and everything would be more illuminated from the strike.

Offline fenriswolf039

• zero3nine
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 09:33:19 PM »
I vote real-ly heavily tweaked.

The discharge looks real but all that purple color is somebody playing with filters and levels.