Author Topic: Beginner needs help  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Dr_Mudd

Beginner needs help
« on: March 19, 2009, 11:54:13 PM »
Hi I am new to weather stations and their operation. I have installed a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and it is up and running with VWS Internet Edition. I would now like to install WeatherFlash but I am very very confused on the steps it takes and the proceedure to install it. I have downloaded the trial version but that is as far as I have gotten. My Web host is www.hostmonster.com How do I find out from them if they support weatherflash? If anyone can help I would be very greatful. Thanks in advance.

Doc  :roll:

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
Re: Beginner needs help
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:41:51 AM »
Its very easy.

1) Ask your host if they support ASP or PHP scripting (note its ASP not ASP.Net). If they don't support either then it won't work.

2) Make a folder on your desktop called Weatherflash.

3) Unzip the WeatherFlash files into it making sure that you keep the file structure in the zip intact.

4) If your host supports PHP then you will need to edit the site.txt file using notepad and change the ASP to PHP on the appropriate line. (its obvious which one)

5) upload the whole weatherflash folder from your PC to your web server using your ftp program. Place it in the root of your web servers html section.

6) Go to www.yourdomain.com/weatherflash and it should load.

Then you can try placing components on the page using WeatherFlash's built in WYSIWYG interface. If there are any problems that need resolving such as parent paths on an asp server or file permissions on a php server then they will show here as the components wont stick when you lock the page.

Offline Dr_Mudd

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:40:34 AM »
I am having a problem changing the Asp to Php with note pad do you have any suggestions on how I can do this after I check it , it always goes back to asp.
Thanks for the help so far.

Doc

Offline Dr_Mudd

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:10:57 AM »
I made the change from asp to php but where exactly should I upload it to. I see a public Html folder is that whre you want me to put it?

Doc

Offline Dr_Mudd

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 01:42:33 AM »
Thanks for the help I finally got it up and running it took a little time but I did it. It is one neat program now all I have to do is to have it talk to my VWS I will tackle that tomorrow.

Doc :grin: