Author Topic: 2nd temp sensor for Davis VP2 ?  (Read 1215 times)

Greg_M

2nd temp sensor for Davis VP2 ?
« on: February 10, 2021, 09:09:21 AM »
I'm building an observatory about 50' from my Davis VP2 and I am wondering if there is a way to hook up a second temp sensor so I can see what the temperature is inside the dome.
Any ideas?

Thanks
G

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: 2nd temp sensor for Davis VP2 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 09:48:02 AM »
If it's a wireless VP2 then the obvious solution is a second 6332 transmitter (or a 6331 transmitter if you have AC power) and a temperature sensor. That's the principle, some practicalities might need to be decided, can the wireless signal get out of the observatory OK, do you need RH too etc?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Greg_M

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »
If it's a wireless VP2 then the obvious solution is a second 6332 transmitter (or a 6331 transmitter if you have AC power) and a temperature sensor. That's the principle, some practicalities might need to be decided, can the wireless signal get out of the observatory OK, do you need RH too etc?

It is a wireless system.
I will have AC power.
Probably don't need a humidity sensor as I'm pretty sure the humidity will be the same at the VP2 location as it is with the shutter open on the dome.
I'm not sure if the WiFi signal will be able to get out of the observatory as it will have metal walls and a metal dome. The floor will be plywood and the entire structure is elevated.
This where I'm at on construction.
http://www.section8observatory.com/OB_Const.html

I'll start researching the item numbers you have posted.
Thank you.
G

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:29:53 AM »

I'm not sure if the WiFi signal will be able to get out of the observatory as it will have metal walls and a metal dome. The floor will be plywood and the entire structure is elevated.

the wireless is not WiFi - it's in the 900MHz band in the US. If it's metal walls then the answer would be maybe to use the 6332 transmitter (ie the one with the solar panel) on the outside somewhere and pass a cable through the wall to the temp sensor inside.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Greg_M

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »
How would the 2nd temp gauge display on the console? 

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 11:21:22 AM »
Pressing the TEMP button on the console with cycle through the available sensors. Indoor, ISS, any optional.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 11:44:56 AM »
Not to get into a whizzing match, but my ISS has no troubles transmitting through a metal roof to the console about 30 feet away (inside).
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 06:45:33 PM »
Not to get into a whizzing match, but my ISS has no troubles transmitting through a metal roof to the console about 30 feet away (inside).

Most likely not through the metal, that's nigh impossible. But signal can bounce ways one can hardly imagine :)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »

Most likely not through the metal, that's nigh impossible. But signal can bounce ways one can hardly imagine :)
Like I said - no issue.  How it gets there, I could care less.  But just having a metal roof on a house is no reason to expect that the Davis won't work. It is not like my place is a Faraday Cage.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 01:03:45 PM »
just having a metal roof on a house is no reason to expect that the Davis won't work
right