Author Topic: Netatmo  (Read 15838 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Netatmo
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
Any thoughts on this:

https://www.netatmo.com/en-US

Offline shirsch

Re: Netatmo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 04:30:19 PM »
Works really good with no issues at all

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
wind?

Offline shirsch

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »
Nope give them time though

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
Netatmo is showing an ultrasonic wind set on Facebook.
Apparently, it was unveiled at CES per their Twitter feed.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:29:57 PM »
Netatmo is showing an ultrasonic wind set on Facebook.
Apparently, it was unveiled at CES per their Twitter feed.

Greg H.

That looks interesting.  Any idea if it is battery powered or will it require a cable?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »
Found this on Facebook.  Not much more info other than they are shooting for a mid-year release.

I assume this link is public and you don't need a FB account to read it.

https://www.facebook.com/Netatmo/posts/727828733999081

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 09:01:25 AM »
No idea on cable/battery.

I don't know what the power consumption is, but for reference the Vaisala WINDCAP WMT52 power consumption is:

Power consumption on average
minimum 0.1 mA at 12 VDC
maximum 14 mA at 5 VDC
typical 3 mA at 12 VDC

The note in the datasheet also says:

Low Power Consumption
The WMT52 has very low power
consumption; during the idle mode
the device typically consumes about
2 ... 3 mW.

I don't see power consumption specs for their WMT700.

If Netatmo had an intermittent wake and transmit strategy, battery power might be feasible. That base looks big, so maybe it can accommodate some serious batteries.

The Netatmo rain gauge is powered by 2xAA batteries. (according to their website)

My suspicions are that the wind set might need something more substantial than 2 AA batteries, though.  :-k

Greg H.

Offline geofb13

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »
I don't see power consumption specs for their WMT700.

Greg,
Operating voltage for the 700 is 9-36 VDC (Max 40 VDC) or if it's the heated model it requires another 24-36 VDC for heating according to Vaisala.

http://www.vaisala.com/Vaisala%20Documents/Brochures%20and%20Datasheets/WEA-ERG-G-WMT700-Datasheet-B210917EN-G-LOW-v1.pdf

The WMT52 is going for around $1k right now unless you buy more then one of them direct from Vaisala.

As for the Neatmo, if the power requirements are anywhere near the Vaisala ones you'd be right in saying they'd need something more substantial then AAs. Maybe something more like a home security system batteries if it's going to fit in that enclosure?

Offline The pen is blue

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 04:55:36 AM »
https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Did+You+Remove+That+Debug+Code+Netatmo+Weather+Station+Sending+WPA+Passphrase+in+the+Clear/19327/

After looking at the full capture of the data, I found that indeed the weather station sent my password to "the cloud", along with some other data. The data include the weather stations MAC address, the SSID of the WiFi network, and some hex encoded snippets.

Not only should data like this not be transmitted "in the clear", but in addition, there is no need for Netatmo to know the WPA password for my network.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:03:31 PM »
Netatmo are now showing the wind gauge on their website.

Here is the link to the specifications page, you need to scroll down to see the info on the wind gauge:
https://www.netatmo.com/en-US/product/specifications/station#view_1

They power it from four AA batteries:

Power and batteries
Wind Gauge module powered by 4 AA batteries.

It is also showing on the "accessories" page: https://www.netatmo.com/en-US/product/accessories/station

Not available yet, but there is a place to enter your email address for an update.

Greg H.

Offline stuff2447

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »
Any thoughts on this:

The reviews on Amazon are full of complaints of the outside unit not being able to stand up to the elements; many reports of failures due to moisture!! Not sure how a weather station can be expected to NOT get wet!
Scott Tuff
Hollywood, FL

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
Any thoughts on this:

The reviews on Amazon are full of complaints of the outside unit not being able to stand up to the elements; many reports of failures due to moisture!! Not sure how a weather station can be expected to NOT get wet!

Did you expect anything better from a cell phone accessory? Because that's what these things are.
Honestly, if you want a weather station then spend the money and get something thats designed to be a weather station. Not something thats designed for a cell phone.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »
Any thoughts on this:

Did you expect anything better from a cell phone accessory? Because that's what these things are.
Honestly, if you want a weather station then spend the money and get something thats designed to be a weather station. Not something thats designed for a cell phone.
UU 
This world is goin' 'mobile' crazy... too bad if a big CME, e.g. hits.. at least most of us "obsolete" folks have a better chance with UPS backup, etc, perhaps... of getting back 'online' and 'up', with our 'primitive', some cases: hardwired, "not Google Approved because it isn't 'mobile friendly' (whatever the hell that really means ", etc, technology... . 
Get a 'real' station and data interface... . and I'm not referring to "('no guarantees that anything you are looking for will be working') WunderweenieGround" or "The ('take your chances at what we're really broadcasting at the time') WeatherWeenie Channel", etc... .

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
For as accurate as they're suppose to be, seemingly all the netatmo's temps. around me go through the roof when the sun comes up. I would assume their radiation shield leaves something to be desired as well.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »
There are a lot of these popping up around the city-they are reporting to WU.
MOST say "Station is missing some wind data"

No-Really?

It just seems incomplete without wind.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline perezoso

• Dawson - Gumbo Gulch  Austin, TX
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 11:18:23 PM »
For as accurate as they're suppose to be, seemingly all the netatmo's temps. around me go through the roof when the sun comes up. I would assume their radiation shield leaves something to be desired as well.

The price point of a netatmo is hard to beat for what it offers, but...  I've noticed the same here in Austin, Texas. 

My Texas Weather Instruments WPS reports pretty closely in line with nearby Davis stations, whereas the netatmos are much more variable, especially with temperature.

I haven't seen a netatmo near me with a wind sensor yet. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 12:00:11 AM »

The price point of a netatmo is hard to beat for what it offers, but...  I've noticed the same here in Austin, Texas. 

My Texas Weather Instruments WPS reports pretty closely in line with nearby Davis stations, whereas the netatmos are much more variable, especially with temperature.

I haven't seen a netatmo near me with a wind sensor yet.
The thing that gets me is why have such an accurate sensor, then surround it with garbage?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 08:37:09 AM »
Did WU finally kick off the Netatmo stations from the Wundermap? (maybe this belongs in WU thread...)
There was a station in the UP of Michigan, that I swear they had in a heated barn or something. You could even see the temperature cycling. WU finally kicked them off, but it seems that other Netatmo stations disappeared as well. There is one in town that just has the base station, now wind or precip.

Netatmo does not seem to QC their own map, since this errant station is still active.

I suppose that I can see where people might want to do something like monitoring temperature somewhere other than "weather", but it doesn't belong on the publicly accessible maps...

Greg H.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:06 PM »
One of them by me a while back was reading a whopping 20 to 30F higher than it should in the day. Vampires should like this thing just fine.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
Hmm.... I am a bit sceptic about this whole NetAtmo device. I especially wonder what the accuracy of all these sensors is. I see it more as a thing for somebody who is not really interested in weather as such, but finds it "cool" to have this at home because it is very easy to set up and looks good. For me it is still more like a toy than a weather station.

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
    • Apeldoorn-Oost The Netherlands
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
All Netatamo stations are still online in my neighboorhood (WU) most do show temperutures musch too hight more as 3 degrees C too high
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL
http://www.apeldoornmeteo.nl

several languages

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »
All Netatamo stations are still online in my neighboorhood (WU) most do show temperutures musch too hight more as 3 degrees C too high

Yes, that does not surprise me and the temperature usually is the "easiest" to measure, in other words even cheap thermometers can be relatively accurate, so I dont want to know the accuracy of the other sensors :D

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »
The temperature sensor unit seems to be in a silver cylinder. The emphasis seems to be more on "style" and "design" rather than functionality. Otherwise they would have made the temperature sensor in a white "pagoda" shield.

I am not surprised that the temperature reads high.

Greg H.

anything