Author Topic: How to Run US Animated Radar on Google Maps  (Read 134680 times)

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: How to Run US Animated Radar on Google Maps
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
I found a link to the images but it doesn't help me figure out how to really access them. Here's one:
http://radarcache.srh.noaa.gov/tc/tc.py/1.0.0/ridge::NAT-N0Q-201209131710/4/3/6.png

Offline Chandra

« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2012, 04:01:29 PM »
I have all 5 radars and 7 products displaying on my map correctly.  Just a little more editing to JSON_generator.php.  Thank you so much for your help wmleler.

I have emailed my contact at SRH about the questions you listed below.  I have also included the link you found DaculaWeather. 

I will let you know when I get a response from NOAA.
Hydrologist, Engineering Department
The Flood Control District of Maricopa County
Phoenix, AZ 85009

Offline wingwing

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
Chandra,
I tried looking at your site to see how you got it working..
(to try and get mine working)
.. but I don't see that yours is working...

here?
http://156.42.96.39/alert/Google/radar.html

thanks,
wingwing

wmleler - the Phoenix Composite Radar is overlaying on my maps now!  Yay!  I had to edit EasyWebFetch line 40-44 with my proxy settings to get out of the county network.  I was running into a firewall.  Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. 

One more question to  you, it seems as though this script will only overlay one radar and one product.  Is there any way to have multiple products and radars pull data from this JSON_generator.php file?

FYI for everyone - We work very closely with NWS so I called and talked with SRH's about the http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/JSON_generator.php file.  The JSON_generator.php file was was only running at SRH, and the server that it was running on was recently taken down.  They have a ticket in with NIDS (National Weather Service Information Dissemination System) to implement this script nationally, but are unsure of a timeline.

Offline Chandra

« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »
Well that is frustrating, when I left work yesterday it was working great.  I had edited the JSON_generator.php file to overlay all five radars with seven different products available to overlay.  I had to edit lines 40-44 in EasyWebFetch and add my proxy settings.  It wasn’t changing the transparency but that was the only thing that i needed to work on.  That is the correct link to the Radar Map, the NWS Radar tab is also on my rainfall map at http://156.42.96.39/alert/Google/rain.html.  I will start working on it again...

Haven’t heard back from NOAA yet...

Phoenix, AZ 85009

Offline Chandra

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
I believe I have a cache problem...
When if invoke the PHP file separately at http://156.42.96.39/alert/Google/php/JSON_generator.php?rid=IWA my radar images are from yesterday (9/13).  I am not able to get the most recent images.  I have added the no cache headers

header("Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT");
header("Cache-Control: no-cache");
header("Pragma: no-cache");

to my JSON_generator.php file but that isn’t doing the trick. The error is happening today because my php file is trying to pull images from 9/13 and they are no longer in the http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/RadarImg/NCR/IWA/ directory.  Any one else had this problem?  Any suggestions? 
Phoenix, AZ 85009

Offline wingwing

« Reply #255 on: September 15, 2012, 08:49:04 AM »
Tried both the php solution and the py solution.
..changed the image sever to radar.weather

No joy...still not working.

I'm not sure if my godaddy host supports php or py
...is there anyway to test that?
..or can someone share the path for their php script that I could use for testing to determine if that is what the problem is?

I'm on a road trip and trying to make these changes with my smart phone..grrr
..my kingdom for a netbook..:-)

Dennis

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #256 on: September 15, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
i know this morning the southern region nws site was down, not sure if that's any of your problem or not. its still down

Offline wingwing

« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2012, 11:07:07 AM »
i know this morning the southern region nws site was down, not sure if that's any of your problem or not. its still down
...I'm not sure what the problem is...
The radar.weather site seems to be displaying their own offering ok..

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=GSP&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Dennis

Offline wingwing

« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:44 AM »
..still trying..no joy

anyone have a simple site working using the py solution?
..I sure would like to see it.

Thanks,
Dennis

Offline wingwing

« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
..anyone found a solution?
....getting desperate here

Dennis

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2012, 02:46:22 AM »
Any news on how to make this work again  #-o

Tried everything I can think of and it's still a no go

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
Wayne,

Have you followed the instructions wmleler gave on page 9 of this topic about 6 items from the top exactly? One step of his 'fix' involves downloading his customized version of json_generator.php and uploading it to your own website (he provides the code for that file on page 8 in an item near the bottom of page 8). When I look at the source for your radar page, it appears you're still calling json_generator.php from www.srh.noaa.gov, not from the customized version on your own site.

Steve

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
Thanks Steve,
I am still calling that file remotely,so that is probably the fault.
I will reread that post and find out what I omitted and hopefully get back on the air with this.

Thanks again

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
Working like a dream currently   http://www.smythweather.net/google-radar/geo-ridge.php

Thanks for the help and suggestions !

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »
This was great help, mine quit working sometime ago. Made the changes documented here and back up and working perfectly http://www.stetsonweather.com/wxnradar.php. Thanks to all who did the coding work!

Todd

Offline Chandra

« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
Wmleler and DaculaWeather - Here is the response I got from NWS about Ridge 2 products.

Q1:  Is Ridge2 ready to be used by the public? Is there any sample code they can provide that accesses the new Ridge2 radar?
A1:  Ridge is still in experimental mode. Though that means it's available to the public, things will likely still change. So, do consider that as you're writing any code.

Q2:  How do we access the Ridge2 image files?  I have found this link http://radarcache.srh.noaa.gov/tc/tc.py/1.0.0/ridge::NAT-N0Q-201209131710/4/3/6.png but it doesn't help me figure out how to really access them.
A2:  The URL you give above, is the address to part of a radar image as served by a tile server. The last 3 integers indicate its position in the google grid (left, right, zoom, essentially).

Q3:  Are there other ways to access the images, like a tile server or other server? Is there any documentation on what is available?
A3:  Though it's not well-documented at this state in development, the js in the page (which is you can see pretty easily in the directory: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/ridgenew2/js/)

They also said "once Ridge2 becomes the official radar Ridge (one) images on http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/RadarImg/ will remain up and running for a couple of years".
Phoenix, AZ 85009

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2012, 04:09:54 AM »
So if you are using one of ELDoradoWx's scripts on your site, what you need to do is the following. It is pretty simple actually:
(...)
In summary, drop two files on your server, edit two lines in ELDoradoWx's script. Now everything should work again.

I use one of the original writes of this radar script and just noticed I had no radars last week. Followed you instructs, using the two files you linked to, and all is well.

Thank you much for your time and effort with this.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline dklassen

« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2012, 11:47:23 AM »
Can't seem to get anything working with my radar now days. I'm lost. Too many posts, too may scripts, calls, this that and the other. How do I start over form scratch and make a radar work for middle TN?

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
    • Weather for Lebanon, TN 37087
« Reply #268 on: October 31, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »
I too have not checked my radar on google map for sometime. I did today and no radar showing on map. It appears something changed. When I go to the link for the latest information on the application it no longer exist. Only information is for the flanis version. Nothing about Google. What happen and how can I get it going again.
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #269 on: October 31, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »
I too have not checked my radar on google map for sometime. I did today and no radar showing on map. It appears something changed. When I go to the link for the latest information on the application it no longer exist. Only information is for the flanis version. Nothing about Google. What happen and how can I get it going again.

TnWxMan,

Have you followed the instructions wmleler gave on page 9 of this topic about 6 items from the top? One step of his 'fix' involves downloading his customized version of json_generator.php and uploading it to your own website (he provides the code for that file on page 8 in an item near the bottom of page Cool. When I look at the source for your radar page, it appears you're still calling json_generator.php from www.srh.noaa.gov, not from the customized version on your own site. If you'll follow wmleler's instructions exactly, I believe you'll see your radar show up again.

Steve

Offline dklassen

« Reply #270 on: October 31, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
I'm confused as to which ELDoradoWx's scripts I should be using in the first place.

Offline dklassen

« Reply #271 on: October 31, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »
Well, guess I'm getting closer but when I hit the page... I have a valid key and it's in the code.  ????

Google has disabled use of the Maps API for this application. The provided key is not a valid Google API Key, or it is not authorized for the Google Maps Javascript API v2 on this site. If you are the owner of this application, you can learn about obtaining a valid key here: http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/v2/introduction.html#Obtaining_Key

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #272 on: November 01, 2012, 06:33:30 AM »
I don't think you can get a key for the old API anymore.

Offline dklassen

« Reply #273 on: November 01, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
I guess that goes back to my org question, what code on my web page should I be using to make this all work? What have I missed?

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
    • Weather for Lebanon, TN 37087
« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks. I have downloaded the files and working on it now. I appreciate the help.

Bob (TNWXMAN)

P.S. Just got it back up and running. This is great, thanks.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:03:46 AM by tnwxman »
Bob
KK4QXH