Author Topic: mounting location  (Read 3051 times)

Offline LeomaTNWX

• Senior Contributor
    • Leoma, Tn Weather
mounting location
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:43:46 PM »
Would it be ok to mount the gauge right beside and level with my station rain gauge?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: mounting location
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »
That's pretty much how I did mine. Same height, on the opposite side of the 6x6 post that holds up the VP2 ISS.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
Would it be ok to mount the gauge right beside and level with my station rain gauge?
Not recommended.  I recommend mounting the 4" rain gauge on it's own post.  Consult the CoCoRaHS training presentation on mounting the gauge.  If it is on a wood post, cut the top of the post at an angle sloping away from the gauge to prevent splatter of rain from the post top into the gauge funnel.  The top of the gauge should extend a few inches above the top of the post.  Two rain sensors mounted at the same level may interfere with the accuracy of both gauges.

Consult with your CoCoRaHS local or state coordinator for assistance.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:06:56 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
Wxtech is correct!  :arrow: You need to mount your CoCoRaHS gauge away from obstructions, and in "open" terrain, away from buildings or other interference.
If your electronic rain gauge is situated in a manner such as this then we presume you should be near, but "away" from it with your CoCoRaHS gauge.
Also, it's important that your CoCoRaHS gauge location be convenient for viewing, removal, and don't forget....periodic cleaning.
Mine gets full of pollen :!:
There are great instructions on the CoCoRaHS website, as pointed out by Wxtech, that will assist you.
Good Luck!
A noteworthy commitment.  8-)

Henry

KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »
I get bugs and dirt in my 4" rain gauge. One time I found a wasp in mine..luckily it had drowned in the water..some falsely dead bugs have actually been alive when I go to clean out the gauge. And sometimes they cook in the sun.. \:D/

I don't have the post on mine beveled. The gauge is mounted higher (about 4" above the top of the post I think)
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

anything