Author Topic: The sound of silence  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
The sound of silence
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:15:39 PM »
I used to be able to hear the fan on my 24hr FARS, however... I needed to replace the rechargeable batteries.   I charged them up , took down the station and replaced them. While I was at it, I replaced the fan as well and it started up right away off those batteries, quiet.

SO today I am outside checking on the station, garden and thought I would put my ear near where the fan was and couldn't hear a thing.   I put my hand down where the screen intake is on the bottom and felt the draft. Man that motor is silent.  :)

Just a note while I am on topic.  If and When you have to move the station, when you take off the solar panel from the ISS disconnect the rain plug in , SO when you move the  thing, you won't get any false readings.  I know about putting the station into setup more if you use a console, but if you use an Envoy, there isn't any setup button and the data has to be manually corrected.   

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Re: The sound of silence
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:49:05 PM »
I used to be able to hear the fan on my 24hr FARS, however... I needed to replace the rechargeable batteries.   I charged them up , took down the station and replaced them. While I was at it, I replaced the fan as well and it started up right away off those batteries, quiet.

SO today I am outside checking on the station, garden and thought I would put my ear near where the fan was and couldn't hear a thing.   I put my hand down where the screen intake is on the bottom and felt the draft. Man that motor is silent.  :)

Just a note while I am on topic.  If and When you have to move the station, when you take off the solar panel from the ISS disconnect the rain plug in , SO when you move the  thing, you won't get any false readings.  I know about putting the station into setup more if you use a console, but if you use an Envoy, there isn't any setup button and the data has to be manually corrected.

Check back in about two months.  I bet you'll be able to hear it then...
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 01:21:47 AM »
Definitely,  I have replaced 3 of them fans.   

Offline Dave47

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:53:06 PM »

I use an Envoy and when I upgraded my T/H sensor a few weeks ago, I just slipped a small rubber band around one of the two black water collectors (drains), the one currently supporting the 'down' bucket. That's enough to stop the bucket from moving back up again... and it worked well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:55:34 PM by Dave47 »