Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1080 Wireless Home Weather Station w/ Data Logging  (Read 5799 times)

Offline jfl

It started with the idea of getting an indoor/outdoor thermometer with remote sensor; then, living in South Florida, it would be nice to have a humidity reading. Figuring I would spend $60.
But, for another $50, I can get a "real" WS ... a slippery slope  :-)

So, I am looking at the "Ambient Weather WS-1080 Wireless Home Weather Station w/ Data Logging" for $109 on Amazon; is it any good ?
How is the CS ?
What do you guys think ?
Is there any software running under Linux for it ?
I am well versed in electrical and electronic work, so minor repairs don't worry me.

I understand I am at the bottom of the price range, but since I don't really know what I'll be doing, I don't want to spend substantially more, for the time being.

Your help, advice and comments  would be deeply appreciated !

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
jfl, several forum members have this station (or a variant) and seem very happy with it. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8230.0

Dan

Offline jfl

Thanks !
I chatted with Ed at Ambient Weather.
He said the WS-2080 was a newer version of the 1080 without the touchscreen that was giving problems.
It is cheaper as well. Amazon $99.
Of course, it doesn't compare to a Davis or other big name, but before I spend too much money, I want to get a feel for the hobby.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
From all I've been reading about these 'Fine Offset' stations it sounds like you should be o.k.  The only thing I would suggest is replace the solar radiation shield on the thermo/hygro sensor.  Its' design is meant for an installation out of the weather which you intend to measure.  You can easily make one yourself (several posts on here for reference) or buy one already made for around $40.