Author Topic: returning my Atlas to Amazon  (Read 2225 times)

Offline txbayou

returning my Atlas to Amazon
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
 Will be returning my Atlas bundle(with display and lightning detector) to Amazon for refund  after trialing it for about 10 days. I had it mounted alongside my old 5/1 so both were operating from essentially the same location, to the same Access hub that had been working well with the 5/1 for some months now.

1. The UV detector never went above 2, and that was only for blips, even in hours of prolonged direct bright light. I had the chance to watch this yesterday, and in around 5 hours of direct sun the UV did not budge off of 1 on myacurite, and I’m giving up on it. FWIW the light lux measurement, on the display, seems to work. At least it changes considerably, depending on how long the sun shines on it, and varies between cloudy and cloudless days.

2. The 5/1 was never able to compensate for temperature in sunlight, showing anywhere from 6-9 degrees higher than an acurite tower I have in the shade, which in the afternoon shows temps very close to “official” temps at a nearby airport. The Atlas will often exceed the 5/1’s sunlight temps by another 2 or 3 degrees. I was hoping the Atlas would work better than the 5/1 for this, but it is worse. This flaw alone is enough for me to justify the return. At night or in the shade, their temp readings are almost identical.

3. Finally, the 5/1 and Access always worked well together and fading/dropouts were not a problem, even if the range was barely extended at all compared to the 5/1 and the old smart hub (I was able to move the Access hub about 10 feet farther away from the window compared to the smart hub, but that’s it). After a few days of Atlas and 5/1 working together through the same Access, there was an annoying habit developing of the signal from one sensor or the other degrading in strength, and then one or both sensors going offline. I’d see an email first thing in the morning about how one or both sensors had gone offline sometime overnight, and then get up to look at my acurite to see how maybe one of them had come back on by itself, or maybe not. If I disconnect all cables from Access and remove batteries, I can get both sensors to come back online with excellent strength, but within an hour or two one of them, usually the Atlas, will be weak again, then go offline, rinse, lather, repeat. The Atlas always seems to stay in contact with its HD display, BTW. I tried deleting Atlas from myacurite, then adding it again…now the lightning panel has not reappeared…

4. FWIW I haven’t had many storms with lightning in the recent period, but I can say I didn’t have the problem of strikes being detected on sunny days, so in that regard the lightning detection “worked”.

I really wanted this to work, but something tells me it was turning into  ](*,), so back it goes.
If you're having better luck, that's great, and more power to you!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:06:00 PM by txbayou »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: returning my Atlas to Amazon
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »
Sorry to hear. What will you be replacing it with? or are you just staying with the 5-in-1?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »
txbayou,

I don't think your fan was running if your temps were higher than your 5 in 1. If you put a thermometer in the shade, vs in a shield under direct sun, it will read colder, and read too low. Most believe you should put the sensor under a tree, or under an eave. This is wrong.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »
txbayou,

I don't think your fan was running if your temps were higher than your 5 in 1. If you put a thermometer in the shade, vs in a shield under direct sun, it will read colder, and read too low. Most believe you should put the sensor under a tree, or under an eave. This is wrong.
I agree with the Doc, your fan must not be working, my 5n1 at most is only 1-3 deg higher then surrounding stations most times it's only 1-2 higher..

And I know my fan is working because I remove the 5n1 bring it inside and oil the fan every 6moths or so it's working perfect and quiet .
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:05:22 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline radioman61

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »
Why don’t you exchange it for another Atlas ?  Amazon does exchanges as easily as returns. It sucks you got one that slipped through QC but most seem to be a step up from the 5 in 1.

Offline txbayou

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 08:20:00 AM »
Sorry to hear. What will you be replacing it with? or are you just staying with the 5-in-1?

5/1 will stay up as long as it is working. I had found time to also install a Weatherflow system at the same time as Atlas, but the Sky unit did not transmit properly. Weatherflows have some interesting self-diagnostics, which I sent to the company, they diagnosed a defective antenna and are sending me a replacement Sky. Let’s hope that one works out.

Offline txbayou

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 08:29:55 AM »
txbayou,

It wouldn’t be the first time that I’m clueless, so here’s where I’m coming from: My acurite tower hanging near my front door matches the reading at a nearby big airport (where I think they probably have a competent measurement setup) very closely, even exactly, on the hottest afternoons. I’ve been watching this all summer long. So I consider the temp reading from the tower good ‘nuff to be my reference temp. for the afternoon, whether the location of it is proper or not.
Fans running or not, neither 5/1 nor Atlas was ever able to come close to the tower reading, as soon as the sensors were in full sun. Atlas was even higher, by several degrees, than the 5/1. With 91 on the tower the other day, it was briefly 101 on the Atlas. It was an immediate downer to see one more Acurite sensor that can’t keep up with the heat, just this time at a higher price.  :-)

With the additional issues that the Atlas was having, it was for me a clear choice to return it.

Offline txbayou

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »
Why don’t you exchange it for another Atlas ?  Amazon does exchanges as easily as returns. It sucks you got one that slipped through QC but most seem to be a step up from the 5 in 1.

For me this Atlas had already been too much trouble and the issue with the fading signal strengths and going offline unnerved me. So did the disappearance of the lightning panel after I deleted/added Atlas from myacurite.

The 5/1 seems happy again now having the Access to itself and there’s no more fading or going offline, and I have not moved the hub at all. Leaves me wondering if there were not some problems with the Acurite servers or with my hub, or both (I am using the Access hub I bought at the time they first came out for sale, and never used the one that came with the Atlas bundle). Whatever, product returned, no more  ](*,)   is how I see it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:45:47 AM by txbayou »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 09:52:34 AM »
txbayou,

It wouldn’t be the first time that I’m clueless, so here’s where I’m coming from: My acurite tower hanging near my front door matches the reading at a nearby big airport (where I think they probably have a competent measurement setup) very closely, even exactly, on the hottest afternoons. I’ve been watching this all summer long. So I consider the temp reading from the tower good ‘nuff to be my reference temp. for the afternoon, whether the location of it is proper or not.
Fans running or not, neither 5/1 nor Atlas was ever able to come close to the tower reading, as soon as the sensors were in full sun. Atlas was even higher, by several degrees, than the 5/1. With 91 on the tower the other day, it was briefly 101 on the Atlas. It was an immediate downer to see one more Acurite sensor that can’t keep up with the heat, just this time at a higher price.  :-)

With the additional issues that the Atlas was having, it was for me a clear choice to return it.

Something is wrong, because I have 3 thermometers out in the open, and they all match up within 1 degree, including Atlas. If you put the 5n1 and Atlas next to the tower, I bet they would read the same as the tower. Put the tower out with the others, and I believe it will correspond. The airport is not in the same area you live, so it should not be the same.

Offline beamd

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »
I think this is confirming my belief, those who have working lightning detectors probably have non working fans. I don't know if you have seen it on here txbayou but I have pretty well confirmed if I keep the fan from running on mine I get no false lightning strikes. I'm getting ready to turn my 2nd unit in due to the false lightning strikes, I haven't really paid much attention to the other readings.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »
I think this is confirming my belief, those who have working lightning detectors probably have non working fans. I don't know if you have seen it on here txbayou but I have pretty well confirmed if I keep the fan from running on mine I get no false lightning strikes. I'm getting ready to turn my 2nd unit in due to the false lightning strikes, I haven't really paid much attention to the other readings.

My two production unit fans are running and I'm having no lightning issues.

Offline beamd

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »
nincehelser you don't by chance use a battery extension on yours do you? I don't see how it would make a difference but I have seen where one reviewer claimed that did get rid of their false lightning strikes.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »
nincehelser you don't by chance use a battery extension on yours do you? I don't see how it would make a difference but I have seen where one reviewer claimed that did get rid of their false lightning strikes.

No.

My favorite theory is misconfigured lightning modules.  Maybe something as simple as the noise floor is set too low.

Second favorite theory is the fan, but I find it hard to believe there would be such variability in fans unless they changed suppliers.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 10:58:24 AM »
I still have not received a new Atlas... I am anxiously awaiting it so I can test it to see if it is as good as the beta model.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 10:59:54 AM »
I thought it odd that some reported the fan was so quiet they couldn’t hear it running.  Mine if fairly quiet but I can definitely hear it. I’ve had zero false lightning counts.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
I thought it odd that some reported the fan was so quiet they couldn’t hear it running.  Mine if fairly quiet but I can definitely hear it. I’ve had zero false lightning counts.

The fans have been exceptionally quiet, particularly when compared to a 5n1.

I'm not sure how they achieved the quietness, unless the fans are running slower or maybe at a variable rate.

Unlike the 5n1 where the solar panel/fan assembly was completely separate from the other electronics, the Atlas fan and panels do run through the main board.  So it's possible they are doing some active fan control.

Offline beamd

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »
nincehelser I think I see what you are saying, maybe all the fans are the same but some (like yours) have a lightning sensor set to basically ignore the electrical noise from the fan while others do not. That would explain why your fan can run and give no false strikes but say if I gave you my lighting module you may start getting false lightning strikes when your fan runs if your first theory is correct.

I will say if your 1st theory is correct I don't think the fix would be that bad on the manufacturer but it would probably take a while to get the new modules produced.

Who did you buy your production units from? I had been waiting on this thing to come out for over a year and just want one that works. No one else has the lightning feature and it is something I am very interested in.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »
Does it seem there’s a higher rate of problems reported on units purchased through Amazon vs direct from Acurite?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 11:18:14 AM »
nincehelser I think I see what you are saying, maybe all the fans are the same but some (like yours) have a lightning sensor set to basically ignore the electrical noise from the fan while others do not. That would explain why your fan can run and give no false strikes but say if I gave you my lighting module you may start getting false lightning strikes when your fan runs if your first theory is correct.

I will say if your 1st theory is correct I don't think the fix would be that bad on the manufacturer but it would probably take a while to get the new modules produced.

Who did you buy your production units from? I had been waiting on this thing to come out for over a year and just want one that works. No one else has the lightning feature and it is something I am very interested in.

Right.  My thinking is that the modules are supposed to be tuned to ignore fan noise, but aren't.

Both of my production units were shipped from Acurite.

I'm wondering if the modules can be re-programmed by attaching it to a USB harness and running special software.  Maybe that was someone's job in the factory and they sluffed it off.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
Does it seem there’s a higher rate of problems reported on units purchased through Amazon vs direct from Acurite?

It does seem that way.  Maybe due to different product batches?

Offline radioman61

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »
I had both a lightning detector and Atlas sensor from Amazon and then I received a replacement lightning detector and Atlas sensor direct from AcuRite and it did not correct the problem.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Wrog

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »

Or the way Amazon handles/packages their shipments.  This is one reason that I hesitated to order from Amazon rather than direct.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »

Or the way Amazon handles/packages their shipments.  This is one reason that I hesitated to order from Amazon rather than direct.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AcuRite ATLAS™ Weather Station    $389.96 (with same options as at Amazon below)

AcuRite 01007M Atlas Weather Station with HD Touchscreen Display, Remote Monitoring and Lightning Detection    $257.64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline jimmy1913

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 09:32:39 PM »
It was the fan on my Atlas scent it back several weeks ago fan run lighting strikes non stop UV sensor never worked.