Author Topic: MADIS SURFACE MAP  (Read 3779 times)

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
MADIS SURFACE MAP
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
So now that I am reporting consistently and successfully every 5 minutes does anyone know what it takes to get portrayed on the MADIS Surface MAP or just does MADIS choose which stations to display on a whim ?

Reason I put it that way is MESOWEST shows the data/station on its map and says its ok quality checked and says all its data is generated by MADIS.

QC checks are all two thumbs on the Gladstone quality site as well.

So is it just expected for a CWOP station to be chosen not to be displayed by MADIS on its map .....   ??  I did see the station ONCE in the past 4 days and that was before I even had a consistent data stream.

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
Re: MADIS SURFACE MAP----BUGGY
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »
So the last two days I have had my station show up once each day on MADIS surface map; is always on the mesowest map.

I think MADIS isn't 100% wrapped tight.

I say this because every other station in the area but mine shows up 100 % of the time and one of those stations is near the North side of Lake Stillhouse AU468. It is obviously dead as its temp has been 81 and its wind data o mph at o bearing for days. It is funny that as soon as the neighboring stations cool down to below 90 and if the wind is out of the ENE to NE to N area all of a sudden this bad stations quality color all of a sudden changes from red to green. lol.  I'd say a BUG.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
Re: MADIS SURFACE MAP
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
I can't say why your station is not showing up on MADIS all the time.  You might try writing to CWOP Support at cwop-support@noaa.gov  They should be able answer your question.  Also, regarding upload frequency, it is recommended to upload your data to CWOP no less than every 10 minutes and to do the upload based on the last digit of your CWOP ID i.e. your CWOP ID ends in 5 so, you would set up the upload times for every 10 minutes on the 5's (:05, :15, :25, :35, :45, :55).  This is to spread out the times the data is uploaded and prevent the servers from being overloaded.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:17:56 PM by Harryca »

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »
I know that that is recommended and there is other NOAA literature that recommends no frequency more than every 5 minutes.

Thanks; I sent them a message. I had forgot about that email address because an email I sent several weeks ago went unanswered.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
ArmySlowRdr,

I replied to you on my thread. The Madis Surface Map is a beta service/application. Report your findings to their admin. Also try their mailing list... I see emails float around regarding their surface map.
Also what is your err count on your daily madis report?

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »
No idea about an error rate or count. Based on what I can judge from surrounding stations though it should be nearly zero.  I have two thumbs up on all parameters, and MesoWest reports all quality good.  My graphed curve on the quality site track closely to the "analysis curve".  I sent the email but as I mentioned somewhere else since set up Ive only emailed them once about location being, at the across the street neighbors house, on gladstone family site and received a reply that I'd have to fix that myself. A follow up question based on the site being extremely klunky and not taking my location move yielded no response. Since then I did get a pop-up on the website confirming I wished to move location. And then a message on site saying location move requested; may take a week as is done manually. ...It has been way over a week.

Really only problem I have is MesoWest says it gets all their data from MADIS. If that is so then it's just odd I'm not captured on MADIS map consistently.

I rather doubt I will receive a reply.  But maybe after a month or two things will be consistent. Yes I did research and ran across some website that mentioned MADIS is in process of changing who receives/owns the data and the whole transition could take several years.

Also Findu has my location perfectly.  Interestingly when I tried to move my location pin on the gladstone map to my backyard it insisted the address was 2202 Price Dr (incorrect and also what it believes to be the address for across the street-argh--now tell me how both those locations it thinks is same address)  but when I placed the pin in my side yard (incorrect) it reported the correct address (2200).

I just retried again and now it reports the correct address when I move the pin to the backyard so I submitted and this time got a message that says NOAA must change and could take 3 business days and QC monitoring may be interrupted.  Wow--it's been 10 or more days since I tried to correct it the first time and no action at all was taken. The message says NOAA must change yet when I emailed cwop-support NOAA with questions before the response was they couldnt help me. Now which is it..?

Anyway not holding my breath..just a hobby.

ArmySlowRdr,

I replied to you on my thread. The Madis Surface Map is a beta service/application. Report your findings to their admin. Also try their mailing list... I see emails float around regarding their surface map.
Also what is your err count on your daily madis report?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:47:37 AM by ArmySlowRdr »

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »
I just checked the Madis Surface Map and my cwop is gone... lol
So looks like you are not the only one with the issue. :)

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »
On your CWOP information page(ht tp://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/xnnnn) where you see the MADIS rating check-marks and thumb(s), if you mouse over the thumb(s) a popup should appear with your QC percentage.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
You can also see your daily email reports on the column:

30-JUN-2013 Errs  *   0/247  *   3/247  *   0/247  *   0/247  *   0/247

Edit: You can also do something like this: removed (bad crawlers got me)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:18:30 PM by xcom »

----

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »
Ok thanks all. The thumb mouse-overs all say 100%.

I'll just attribute to MADIS issues.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »
Team,

@Harryca: Thanks for your reply. Yes I saw that. I am not too worry about it. I did email the wxqc mailing list and got a reply on a reasonable time:
@ArmySlowRdr: Look below.

Me:
Hello All,

I been a bit curious about how the map polls for data and it decides what to display...
My station (E2972|EW2972) Has show up on the map several times... But I have notice that it disappears for hours or even days at the time. I been checking data quality and it has been ok and it has been reporting without a glitch.
Daily reports come back clean.
MesoWest shows my data to be "OK" as well.
I know that the map is on beta state but I was curious to know if any body else had similar issues.

Madis:
The issues is usually related to scale or quality. Sometimes the zoom level is too great and stations get omitted. Other times there is an issue with the quality score and the map has not been set to include such data.

----

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
^ Oops, got a few wires crossed.  Disregard my previous post.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
Ok thanks all. The thumb mouse-overs all say 100%.

I'll just attribute to MADIS issues.

ArmySlowRdr,

I got news for you... I just got back with an update from madis mailing list... Here is what they found:

Madis:
...but neither appears to be responsible in this case. There does appear to be an issue with their query on the back-end server. It does appear on the legacy surface map so this seems specific to their new web service. I'll see if I can find out what's going on with it.

Looks like they found your issue :)

----

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 08:28:57 AM »
Thanks for tracking that down ! Much appreciated. 

Offline tlum

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
The technical explication is that the Surface Map is hosted on a cluster of web servers which sit behind a load balancer, which is a common, high performance, architecture. Apparently the stations list is replicated across each node in the cluster, but, inexplicably, some stations were missing on one of the nodes. Depending on which node you hit you might have seen your station seem to come and go.

The developers at MADIS were apprised of the situation and are believed to have resolved it at this point. If anyone continues to experience a problem like this I'd mention it to MADIS Support.

-Ted-

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 06:08:54 PM »
The technical explication is that the Surface Map is hosted on a cluster of web servers which sit behind a load balancer, which is a common, high performance, architecture. Apparently the stations list is replicated across each node in the cluster, but, inexplicably, some stations were missing on one of the nodes. Depending on which node you hit you might have seen your station seem to come and go.

The developers at MADIS were apprised of the situation and are believed to have resolved it at this point. If anyone continues to experience a problem like this I'd mention it to MADIS Support.

-Ted-

Ted,

Thanks for the explanation! Welcome aboard! :)

----

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »
Thanks much. Yes I looked two separate times today--hours apart and all was well.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »

-Ted-

Welcome to the forum, Ted!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA