Author Topic: WU Favorites  (Read 2434 times)

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
WU Favorites
« on: August 06, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
I used to save a favorite in WU and anytime I wanted to see the weather I could click it and it would open on the right PWS. Now when I click on a PWS it no longer opens the one I saved as a favorite. What went wrong?

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: WU Favorites
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
That's another WU feature that's been mostly broken and ignored for a long time. I don't expect it to ever get fixed. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
WU will fix it. They know about it. It is on their To-Do-List.

https://trello.com/c/zsmreygX/20-fix-for-user-preferences-eg-favorites

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:14:24 PM »
WU will fix it. They know about it. It is on their To-Do-List.

https://trello.com/c/zsmreygX/20-fix-for-user-preferences-eg-favorites

Funny stuff.  This has been broken for almost a year.  They tried to "fix" it twice and made it even worse.  I am convinced they have no idea how it even works since the degree of broken varies with different computers running the same OS and browsers.  For example, my laptop has the correct PWS favorites at the top of the page and even manages to not change to some random nearby station between page loads.  One of my desktops which runs the same version of Windows 10 and the same browser  (Firefox, but it happens with any browser) and is logged into the same WU account has...42 of the same "favorite" and they cannot be deleted.  This is happening on their back end systems somewhere because I have cleared everything that can possibly cleared and it will be OK until a fetch to my user data is made and then they all come rushing back.

Considering that IBM can't be bothered to commit proper resources to fixing the site I don't expect it to ever work right.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 01:50:40 AM »
It would appear there is a handful (if even that many) of staff left to run WUnderground site now. Emails don't even get replied, functionality broken.

I just wonder how on earth IBM think this is progress.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline stu-in-flag

• Contributor
    • stu-in-flag
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »
Egling, a place I've never looked at on wunderground, is about 20 of my favorite places. I lived about 20 miles north, and had a weather station there. But the mythical community of Egling? [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »
Maybe this is why IBM almost went broke!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
How to Reduce Number of WU Favorites

I have found a way to reduce the number of Favorites. I had over 30 at one point.

Here is my method...Although it isn't a perfect method. I was only able to easily reduce down to 3 favorites and two of them are duplicates of the same location.

1. Do this on computer and not on a mobile device.
2. Click on the Manage Favorites gray star or just follow this link: https://www.wunderground.com/member/favorites
3. Count the number of Favorites in your list (yes manually count every single one)
4. Now go to the bottom of the list and click on the last Favorite's yellow star (on mouse-over it says "Remove From Favorite Cities" before you click)
5. Refresh the browser by clicking the browser's reload page button (Pressing F5 works too, on some keyboards it is Fn+F5)
6. Again count the number of Favorites in the list to compare to previous count.
7. If the number of Favorites decreased by one then you are good and ready to repeat the steps with counting and trying to remove the next one up the list from the bottom. If instead the number of Favorites increased, then click the last one's star on the list to remove it (this is the newly added one and should reduce the list when removal is attempted).
8. If the previous step yielded an increase then first remove the last one on the list (the newest one just added) as was stated in the previous step and then remember to skip the next one up from the bottom as that one causes the increase. From then on you are always skipping that one from the bottom.
9. Refresh the browser page
10. Again count the number of favorites
11. If it decreased you can continue clicking on the second to the last favorite or the position count up the list that you were working on after having skipped ones that increase the list. Repeat while that position continues to allow removals and decreasing of the list of favorites.
12. Remember to always Refresh browser and recount after each removal attempt
13. If you run into another favorite that increases the list then skip it and go to the next one up but only after first removing the last one from the list that got added unknowingly.
14. You should hopefully be able to easily (but tediously) reduce your list to 3 favorites.

* Remember this is done one at a time. Refresh and count after every removal attempt (to see if that last Favorite is one that adds or one that removes from the list).

Good luck. If this helps you please let me know. If you find a way of improving my method also please share. I really want to remove all favorites. But I'm happy that I'm down to just 3.

UPDATE: Looks like when you are down to 3 it is like a 50/50 chance. It gets hard when it gets down to the last 3. I continued to mess with it and I would go up to 4 and then back down to 3. And I'd go back and forth between 3 and 4. Then one time when I had 3 I got lucky and I'm now down to just 2. UPDATE (now down to just 1). I can't explain it. But if you play with it I think you get the hang of it and you can almost surely only grow the list by +1 any time. Then the removal of the last addition is easy. Then just continue working the list down. The method changes after you are down to just 3. You can quit there...or try the 50/50 chances and back and forth if you want to mess with this.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:08:48 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 11:06:24 AM »
Anyone try my method (posted in the message before this here in this thread) to reduce their Favorites with the new WU site? Just curious if it still works.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:25:07 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »
Anyone try my method (posted in the message before this here in this thread) to reduce their Favorites with the new WU site? Just curious if it still works.
I'll give it a shot later today and report back.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 02:36:15 PM »
OK, I'm happy to report that I was able to remove all 28 duplicate favorites using your procedure.

The "adding" process still doesn't work properly and consistently adds a nearby PWS instead of mine when I "add" mine.  I believe this is due to WU storing coordinates instead of PWS codes, with the coordinates only out to two decimal places (36 second resolution, about half a mile or more depending on the direction).  In areas with a high density population of PWS locations very near each other like where I am, this just doesn't work.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 02:43:31 PM »
It looks like "recent cities" also has the same geolocation problem...I can "visit" my PWS but it still incorrectly "saves" the nearby PWS as a recent.

I am really doubting they have anyone working on this who had used the site before they were assigned to this project.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:45:36 PM by WSWeather »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 03:28:36 PM »
Excellent! Glad to hear that my method still works with the new site. Hopefully this will inspire other people to try this method and realize that it isn't as hard or complicated as it reads if you take it one step at a time.

But hopefully even better this Favorites bug will be squashed soon with the new site. It has been around for too long.

Yes I've noticed that same thing, that a Favorite is not in reference to a particular station but to a low degree of precision geolocation. What it amounts to is that Favorites are to mark a City rather than to mark a specific Favorite station. Even more frustrating is that there is no commonality with the website and the mobile app, because on the mobile app you are able to save a particular station as a Favorite. Go figure...the right hand doesn't talk to the left hand.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 03:30:38 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything