Author Topic: How to get the "gold" badge?  (Read 608 times)

Offline boldblue737

How to get the "gold" badge?
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:02:54 AM »
My station, KILPLAIN41, used an Ambient Weather WS-1401 for the last 2 years. Due to various occasional issues with the rain bucket sticking as well as my meteostick occasionally losing signal I decided to replace it with a Davis Vantage Vue station. The new station has been up for about 3 weeks and despite an issue for the first 4 days with the wind vane reading 180 degrees the wrong way (I assembled it wrong) the station has now been up 2 1/2 weeks reporting to WU every 60 seconds and with no issues. The data has been spot on, both with my old station, the surrounding (gold badge) stations, and local NOAA stations. Barometer, Temp, Dew Point, Rain all spot on. Wind direction is accurate but it reads low on speed due to where I mounted the station but ALL the local gold badge stations do also.

WU says gold badge is based on accuracy and being up 5 straight days... well I feel like my station has been very accurate, reporting every minute, and up 2 1/2+ weeks... any ideas what could be wrong? I don't care so much I "don't have the badge" as much as I would love to know what WU thinks is wrong?

Thanks!

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: How to get the "gold" badge?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
The Gold Badge has been a running joke here.  Every time there is a server issue, it'll disappear.  Then it'll mysteriously come back.  Their reliability has been so poor, you can't go by their badge.  You'll be chasing your tail trying to get that badge.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »
Bummer. It’s a free service so I can’t complain but at least now I know. Thanks.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:25:14 AM »
I had the computer which relays data to WU decide to lock up on me three hours after I left for a two week trip earlier this month.  That meant no updates for 14 days until I got back and reset the computer and got it back online.

I never lost the badge.  :roll:

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »
If it's that important to you, I'll save you the trouble.

Here you go...

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
I feel special now.  \:D/

Really, my question was only because I wanted to understand what was "wrong" with my station when it turns out the answer is what is wrong is WU.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »
it turns out the answer is what is wrong is WU.
That is always the answer.