Author Topic: Ambient Ws-1001 Failures - Anyone else  (Read 2650 times)

Offline thstaff

• Founder & Publisher of Blue Ridge Life Magazine - 2005
  • Former TV Weather In Memphis Now In VA Blue Ridge
    • Blue Ridge Life Magazine
Ambient Ws-1001 Failures - Anyone else
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
Over the past 3-4 years we installed a large network of WS-1001 stations to replace the Davis Vantage Vue wireless that we found to be cumbersome and failed sometimes as well. The advantage of the WS-1001 series is they can connect direct to a WiFi network and don’t require tying up a computer running software in the background to report to the internet.

Slowly over the past couple of years we’ve had four of the WS-1001 units fail. Some thankfully were in the warranty window. The one that just failed here at the farm, which is a flagship station on the network isn’t under warranty.

It all goes back to this changing problem in the older units, it appears. But even after putting lithium batteries in the unit. (Ignoring solar charging since its defective anyway) It appears to be intermittent at best. So far the newer units the WS-1002 that addressed that problem seem to be working ok, so far. But one should not have to replace units that are less than three years old.

Are some of you seeing this same problem in the WS-1001??
Former TV Weather Dude in Memphis Market, (1993-2004) now occasional fill-in in Charlottesville, VA. Co-Founder & publisher of Blue Ridge Life Magazine (2005) near Wintergreen Resort, VA.

Offline stuff2447

Re: Ambient Ws-1001 Failures - Anyone else
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
I'm on my third unit in just over 5 years. Mine have failed at about the 18 month mark.
Scott Tuff
Hollywood, FL

Offline thstaff

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
That sure seems to be a real problem. I really like the units, but the long term reliability leaves a lot to be desired.
Former TV Weather Dude in Memphis Market, (1993-2004) now occasional fill-in in Charlottesville, VA. Co-Founder & publisher of Blue Ridge Life Magazine (2005) near Wintergreen Resort, VA.

Offline Eno

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
My WS-1001 has been up and running since February 2015 and has never failed, but I've had a few connectivity issues that weren't too difficult to resolve. I think I've had the same set of rechargeble Ni-Cad batteries in the unit for the whole time.

Offline mikeg

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
I installed mine in Dec 2016 and have had no issues, for what it is worth.  I have not replaced the batteries.

Offline gregvet

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
My station on since June 14, 2015 without changing batteries.  The problems I have include my own network/modem connections and WU being down occasionally.  Despite all these, my WS 1001 console has recorded all the data in real time other than when changing the battery in the barometric pressure/interior temp/humidity unit.

Offline thstaff

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
Yeah. WU leaves lots to be desire these days. Their servers are constantly failing and they aren’t maintaining it much anymore. Sadly.

Offline regulate

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
Today my WS-1001 stopped reported outdoor temperature, humidity and wind.  My indoor sensor is reporting. The wifi is working.  I'm going to replace the rechargeable batteries and see if that corrects the issue.  I've already had to replace the indoor sensor.  I think I have had this unit about 3-4 years. 

Offline regulate

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 02:46:24 PM »
I replaced the rechargeable batteries and that seemed to help repair the wind and temperature being reported, but the temperature is reading 140 degrees and not changing.  Now it's really hot in So Cal today (around 115) but it's not that hot.  Is there a reset on the weather station itself? 

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 04:51:15 AM »
I have a WS1001 clone and mine has a small hole that takes a paper clip on the roof unit.  If I remember correctly the instructions say to press and hold for 5 seconds.  It also says to do this with the batteries out. 

Offline dbv

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 07:55:44 AM »
My first one failed after 2 1/2 years and now started on my second one, which is not reading outdoor temps as accurately as the previous one.  It is always reading higher and is located in the exact same place as the last one.  I really like the Ambient, but will not be purchasing another.   That is too short for a unit to last and now having poor temp readings on the new one is not good.  These units should last a lot longer than 2 1/2 years.

My Davis VantagePro is still about 13 years and still going, just wish it had the wireless weather reporting like the Ambient.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »
My Davis VantagePro is still about 13 years and still going, just wish it had the wireless weather reporting like the Ambient.

Please explain what you mean by wireless weather reporting on the Ambient. If you are referring to the Ambient console direct to WiFi connection there now exist a WiFi logger for Davis. Or you could do Davis console > USB logger > Meteobridge and then that would be a WiFi solution for the Davis.. Or you could get a Meteobridge Pro and it would also be a completely wireless solution. You could also use an Envoy if you didn't want to tie up your Davis console with a data logger. Lots of options with Davis. I don't get the "wireless weather reporting on Ambient" comment. Unless of course you got the cabled version of the Davis Vantage Pro 2....but who would do that?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:34:00 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline thstaff

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
I get what he means. I’ve often had the same thoughts. We have two Davis units in use. They’re good. But cumbersome to report to internet. You have to tie up a computer running software in the background. And buy expensive loggers. The Ambient units are almost plug and and play. Almost.

Offline dbv

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
I completey agree with you.  That is what is great about the Ambient units as they are plug and play.  Davis is way to cumbersome and needs to step into the modern day.  It is a great unit, but needs to have wireless reporting built in like Ambient.  :)

I get what he means. I’ve often had the same thoughts. We have two Davis units in use. They’re good. But cumbersome to report to internet. You have to tie up a computer running software in the background. And buy expensive loggers. The Ambient units are almost plug and and play. Almost.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 03:15:12 PM »
Well I thought I didn't get it. Now I get it. Your claim is that Davis is not WiFi built into the console. But now I think it is you two that don't get it. Did you not not see all the different options I mentioned to make the Davis wireless? And with the Meteobridge you can get rid of the PC and the PC software. Davis is more complex but it offers more options and at a cost, but that is what the Davis is an entuthiasts semi professional device. But the VP2 is a bit long in the tooth and really needs an update as it is starting to feel very dated.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:17:02 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline thstaff

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »
We’re making a point. Not disputing what you said.

Davis is a certainly great instrument. It’s just a little too heavy on engineering and less in ease / marketability. If it had a cost effective Wifi connection built in. They’re there. And we’re not trying no to pick a fight or be grumpy. Thanks for the feedback. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »
Ok fair enough. I won't argue that the VP2 console is way overdue for a refresh.
Tele-Pole