Author Topic: Ordered my first weather station! WS-2902  (Read 1776 times)

Offline mrweather

Ordered my first weather station! WS-2902
« on: March 12, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
Partly thanks to this site I just ordered a WS-2902 from Amazon.  I've never had a weather station before so I'm looking forward to this.  I'm mainly interested in rain fall and wind speeds.  I live in a place with very little rain and lots and lots of hard core wind!  I'll probably have some questions along the way, but I wanted to stop in and say hello!

Actually I do have one question about mounting height.  I live on 14 acres so I can easily mount this out in the open where there are no obstructions.  Do I still need to put it up high if it's basically in an open field?  I have a wooden post fence that I could easily attach a pole to and get it several feet off the ground.  Should this be fine?

Offline terk

Re: Ordered my first weather station! WS-2902
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:46:15 PM »
I would think the higher you get it the less often (although more difficult) it will need to be cleaned due to the windy conditions and blowing dust.  Also you wouldn't want it too close to the ground where the temp may be influenced by the ground heat during the day.  I'm no expert either though as I've only owned my PWS for a 4 months now (through the winter), so I'll be interested in other's thoughts.

Offline mrweather

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:08:48 PM »
Blowing dust will be a problem as well.  I live in a tough environment for these things so we'll see how long it survives.  Im in the desert southwest.  We can get 30-40 mph sustained winds with gusts easily above 50.  100 degree days for a month at a time and lots of dust due to surrounding orchards.  So you might be right, the higher the better.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »
At a difficult 33' height the anemometer will match the official NWS recommendation for consistency of readings across all geography. At closer to ground level (say 10') it will give you a reading more in line with the winds that you will be feeling around your fields and houses.

I'm no expert so if anything I said above is scientifically unsound hopefully someone will chime in with a correction.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:04:32 PM »
I'm new here  also, but I would suggest you Google "siting ambien weather station" and you will find some information, which may or may not help you decide what to do.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 09:30:07 PM »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline mrweather

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »
Thanks!  That link is very helpful.  I don't see myself mounting at 30' tho lol.  I'm not die hard enough to get exact results, this is more of a curiosity hobby really.  The winds here get bad, I am curious if they get as bad as they report.  Since I am mostly only interested in rain and wind I'll mount this around 6' as suggested for the rain portion.  The wind, Im mostly interested in how strong the ones are that hit my  house so I think this should be a decent compromise.

Thanks for the tips!  I hope this experiment doesn't give me the "bug" and end up installing a 30' pole in the future.  :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:39:33 PM by drunkpenguin »

Offline mrweather

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
One more question as I may install this tonight.  If shooting through one exterior wall how far away do you suppose I could place the outdoor unit from the house?  I have a fence that thats near the house and extends out to 400' away from the house.  It's an open fence with just 2 rows of 1x6's so I don't believe it will interfere much.  I plan to mount it to one of the 4x4 posts and sit above the fence.  The further out I go the less trees exist and it could really be out in an open field.

Offline mrweather

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
NM, I found the manual which pretty much explains distance vs types of structures.