Author Topic: "official" solar radition readings on the internet?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
"official" solar radition readings on the internet?
« on: February 03, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »
Given that there are differences in sky conditions and all, I'm still wondering if there are any NWS or other postings of what the solar radiation is at reporting points?

We have the barometer, which varies over a wide area, temperatures, rain, and all sorts of other information gathered and posted.

While in Peyson, AZ I saw the DNR or 'Ranger Station' had a fenced in weather station, which in addition to the usual goodies, had a pyranometer on it.  A Campbell Scientific installation, I believe.

There are some folks who have their solar readings posted on their pages, but I'm wondering if there are any (certainly not all) AWOS or NWS stations that have a place to check what is happening at that time.  I'm interested in how far off my readings are, with three stations all in the ball park but some off a bit from the others.

It would have to be a cloudless day, which does happen sometimes, and no nearby smoke or steam from factories, and so on.

Another source might be some installations of commercial solar collectors, but I've noticed that even the ones sponsored by electric power companies, there tends to be nothing on either the current output they are generating (I imagine they are sensitive to someone logging their numbers and trying to show they aren't as helpful as they are being touted) or something, but I would hope that some sort of high priced sensor is on line near me at least at my latitude, to do a compare to, sort of like checking on your barometer readings compared to the airport and all.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
Re: "official" solar radition readings on the internet?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
I'm not aware of any ASOS/AWOS sites with solar data since they are not a useful parameter for aviation. But there could be. Your best bet may be a nearby RAWS site like this.
Bill

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: "official" solar radition readings on the internet?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:48:28 PM »
Floodcaster:

I've died and gone to heaven!  Augusta is not to far from me, and while there will be a variation, their online data sheet as you showed in your link is wonderful.

Thank you. I had no idea such stuff was out there and I really appreciate you showing me how to access those stations.

I've often wondered about getting data from the weather sensors along the state and Interstate highways, those Rohn towers with (mostly) R M Young sensors on them.  I asked the DOT here in Wisconsin once and they either didn't know or the folks there said it was 'proprietary' info they bought from some company. I'd think if tax dollars were paying for it and the data were there, that it would be made available. 

You are right, I would assume AWOS wouldn't be looking for those data, but being a maintained station with high quality instruments and maintained very frequently, that perhaps some research or University would have piggybacked a sensor onto some stations.

Thanks again, this is another example of just how this group is full of info and shares, thanks.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php