Author Topic: WU: Ghosts in the Machine: An old station is reporting at my location.  (Read 708 times)

Offline halifax

I have an interesting situation and I cannot get WU to respond to support tickets.

I run KCTCOLEB1 https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCTCOLEB1.

A second station, KCTCOLEB7 https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCTCOLEB7, is reporting at my location. This is an old NetAtmo rig that I sold over a year ago to someone in the Midwest. I can't get WU or the new owner to respond.

Interestingly, the MADIS AU811 ID is the same for both stations. This is definitely my old station as I remember KCTCOLEB7 reporting from my NetAtmo rig when I had it reporting to WU for a short period. I can't get at the PWS configuration for KCTCOLEB7.

Also, interestingly, the KCTCOLEB7 station comes and goes. Like it's there one minute and gone the next, then shows up a bit later, then disappears...

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this, or how to get WU tech support to actually respond?

Thanks!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:22:14 AM by halifax »
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline NanoWx

Re: WU: Ghosts in the Machine: An old station is reporting at my location.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
Maybe change location of current station, far enough that the two no longer clash ?
Was involved with a CWOP clash years ago, where someone was sending data with an existing stn ID. Resolution, oddly enough, was that the long-standing existing stn was assigned a new ID.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »
What you're probably going to have to do is get a new station "key" assigned to that station ID.  Then any updates from the rouge equipment will be ignored as they will have the wrong key.

For good measure, I'd also change the password on your wunderground account itself, as that password can also be used to update your station data.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a way that a user can force a new key to be assigned.  It may have to be done by WU staff, and I guess getting their attention is the whole trick.   :???:

Whoops.  Never mind.  I think I misunderstood your problem.

I'm guessing the person who bought your Netatmo created that new station even though they don't actually have a station in that location?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:06:34 PM by nincehelser »

Offline halifax

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

It's as if the NetAtmo station is coded as KCTCOLEB7 and sends data from as that station no matter where it is or how it is set up. Odd.

I'm sending REPORT STATION reports about every hour... maybe they will get the hint.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.