Author Topic: WS-8478 Falcon  (Read 9817 times)

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
Re: WS-8478 Falcon
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm somewhat torn myself. Waited for the falcon so long I got the ws-2902 and glad I did. The accuracy Is amazing. I send to CWOP and APRS with error reports daily and am dead on with Hi dollar Davis ISS near me and I am sending better data then they are. Still thinking about the Falcon but hate the thought of losing solar sensor. We'll see as I see more info which does not exist outside this forum. Have only been able to find a few reviews so far and for the most part positive.

Any chance of getting a screen shot of the Web Gui in the future. Also would like to know if you can calibrate from the gui or console only.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:34:56 PM by andyk1 »

Offline Argelius

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
Newbie here, weighing these same two weather stations.

Can someone explain to me the utility of the solar radiation sensor?   I live in a place with a LOT of solar radiation (Southern California)...

Thanks!

Offline ManPereira

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »
Got mine in and won’t connect to the internet. Spoke with Ed and he is checking with the programmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

In Europe similar  but under another name:

Bresser DMax 6 in 1
https://www.weerstationkopen.nl/en/weather-stations/bresser/dmax-6-in-1-weather-station

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 09:51:38 PM »
Hello! Am new to the forum. I was torn between getting the Ospry 2902 and the Falcon 8478, as mentioned here there is a lot of overlap between the  models. Not knowing the differences between them made it difficult to come to a purchase decision. Luckily Ed cleared it up for me with the following reply to my email:

1. The Falcon has a much nicer display console.

2. The Falcon is easier to set up on the Internet.
    It has a built in web server with GUI.
    The Osprey requires you download an app to pair the console to router through your phone

3. The Osprey has a solar radiation and UV sensor (the Falcon has UV only).

4. The Falcon can be expanded, adding 7 additional thermo-hygrometers, which can be monitored over the Internet

Hope this helps somebody. I just ordered my Falcon.

It is now a few months since this information was posted. I thought I would update this information as to what is coming.

1. Falcon has nicer display - Well it still does but the WS-2902A will soon see a new version with the same great outdoor senor array. It is getting a new screen and it will be called the WS-2000. Already listed on AW website. And for those WS-2902A existing customers...good news...you can upgrade your display to the WS-2000 (when it becomes available).

2. Falcon is easier to setup because of GUI - well again still true about the GUI on the Falcon but the WS-2902A was an upgrade to the original WS-2902 and improved setup ease a great deal with new app and new procedure. And if you get the WS-2000 display the setup is done without an app on the nicer display.

3. The Osprey has a solar radiation and UV sensor (the Falcon has UV only). - Yup! This always was and sitll is an advantage of the WS-2902 and WS-2902A.

4. The Falcon can be expanded.  - Well the WS-2902/A could always be expanded too....if you got an ObserverIP it now support additional temp/humidity sensors. The new WS-2000 display console also supports the additional sensors, so two ways to expand the WS-2902A. BUT the Falcon's expandability was just additional sensors...the Falcon is not compatible with the ObserverIP.

Over time I've not seen that the Flacon has been a good seller. The outdoor module was never better I don't think. I think the reason it was priced higher was because if just had had a nicer display console. I own an ObserverIP and I don't see the Falcon as a listed option to connect with. A big advantage of having a station with ObserverIP compatibility is that then you can add a Meteobridge (or a Weatherbridge)....which lets you post to a whole lot more places and do a whole lot more with other software and databases.

So for me it was a very easy decision. WS-2902A over the Falcon.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:03:57 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 10:30:01 PM »
Yep. I have had the original 2902 since early Nov 2017 then purchased the ObserverIP and also a TL-MR3020 but upgraded quickly to a TL-WR902AC For twice the Ram and Rom of the mr3020. Flashed it with Meteobridge firmware and all has been working fine ever since. I post weather... errr I should say accurate weather data to about 8-9 other weather related sites. I also run a local weather website (check out the banner below) and very happy with all of it.

I to was questioning the WS-8478 Falcon when I saw it in the beginning but lucky for me it was always out of stock. Asking around I saw it did lack a few features the 2902 had one being the  solar w/m2 sensor and the second being the lack of ObserverIP/meteobridge connectivity which was/is a big deal for me.

I somewhat stopped feeding Wunderground back at the end of May and only resently started feeding them as they gave me back my WU API key which was another big deal for me... Long story and another tread.

I for the most part as I said am very, very happy with the quality of the WS-2902 in both accuracy and build material. It for the most part withstood this past winter down to 0 deg (F) and up 108 deg (F) this summer without a single glitch (A Few issues with the ObserverIP firmware) I am really surprised for a low cost mid range sensor array as they are categorizing How accurate it is with very minimal maintenance all winter and summer so far. Picture's of my 2902 at my weather site at the bottom in the CWOP/APRS section or https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/F2084 to make it easier.

Thank you galfert for the nice write up and wondering if I should upgrade to the WS-2902/A aka WS-2000  #-o as there is nothing wrong with what I have. Ummmmmm  ](*,) ya I probably will now... Again thanks.

I almost forgot to mention, I paid $120.00 US on Amazon.com when I first saw it in November and now up to $170. Still worth it I think.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:38:19 PM by andyk1 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 12:18:12 AM »

Thank you galfert for the nice write up and wondering if I should upgrade to the WS-2902/A aka WS-2000  #-o as there is nothing wrong with what I have. Ummmmmm  ](*,) ya I probably will now... Again thanks.

Andy

Well good news. You can upgrade your WS-2902 to become a WS-2902A. It is just a firmware difference of the console, the outdoor array is the same. You need to switch to the "awnet" app on your mobile.
https://ambientweather.net/help/how-do-i-convert-my-console-from-a-ws-2902-to-ws-2902a/

Then later to convert your system to a WS-2000 you just get that display console when it comes out. And you get to keep your original console for a second location in your home and use both.

Very impressive MADIS ratings. I wish I knew what temp/humidity sensor was in the WS-2902/A. The graph analysis of the dew point is the most impressive. I don't think a Davis VP2 can do that, as evidenced by the monster SHT31 thread over on the Davis section on this forum. I tried to get those folks to get a WS-2902A and do some side by side comparisons but they don't want to acknowledge the WS-2902A. I'm not saying the VP2 is not better....just saying in terms of temp/humidity the WS-2902A is very impressive and in that aspect I do think the WS-2902A is better. The VP2 wins other categories (software, separate anemometer, soil and leaf monitors, etc).

UPDATE: You can no longer upgrade a WS-2902 to become a WS-2902A. Ambient has locked out the ability to do this because some units were getting bricked. If you want a WS-2902A then you just need a new console. Better advice yet it is to upgrade and just get a new WS-2000 console as it uses the same outdoor sensor array you already have.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:40:44 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 02:58:27 AM »
Well good news. You can upgrade your WS-2902 to become a WS-2902A. It is just a firmware difference of the console, the outdoor array is the same. You need to switch to the "awnet" app on your mobile.
https://ambientweather.net/help/how-do-i-convert-my-console-from-a-ws-2902-to-ws-2902a/

Then later to convert your system to a WS-2000 you just get that display console when it comes out. And you get to keep your original console for a second location in your home and use both.

Very impressive MADIS ratings. I wish I knew what temp/humidity sensor was in the WS-2902/A. The graph analysis of the dew point is the most impressive. I don't think a Davis VP2 can do that, as evidenced by the monster SHT31 thread over on the Davis section on this forum. I tried to get those folks to get a WS-2902A and do some side by side comparisons but they don't want to acknowledge the WS-2902A. I'm not saying the VP2 is not better....just saying in terms of temp/humidity the WS-2902A is very impressive and in that aspect I do think the WS-2902A is better. The VP2 wins other categories (software, separate anemometer, soil and leaf monitors, etc).

Funny you should say that galfert… I have been using that "awnwt" for awhile as it seems more stable and faster connects than the "Ambient Tool" app recommended. I also use an app called WS View in the android play store and not sure it is available on IOS. WS View has nice graphs missing in Ambient Tools and awnet but one of these helped update my WS-2902 firmware to 4.0.2 which I still don't know what was updated to this day but now I am guessing this may be it. I am having no problems since co-habituating... so to speak  :roll: with 5G Duel band routers. I haven't updated my firmware on the ObserverIP to 4.5 yet as it was a beta but am guessing that may be the WS-2000 update you where talking about? or it hasn't been released yet? Either way I am exited for this upgrade.

While I remember... there are several Vantage pro 2 stations near by and I stopped chasing those numbers as I witnessed the large swings in temp and humidity this past winter, spring and summer. I also am not saying a WS-2902/A could be better but I was guessing they must have had a problem causing those swings. I was one of those wanting a Vantage Pro so bad but waiting for the release of the Pro 3 that by now seems like vaporware... Puff. Not sure there ever will be a 3 as the wait is now ridiculous. Back yo the 2902/A, I was tempted to install a fan asperated system I made out of old 1/2 volt solar panels (3) I have and very small 1 1/2 volt dc motors off remote control helicopters I used to build and fly but no longer as Quad Is not the thing but I noticed this spring that I really didn't need to as the temp where dead on from and old 12 inch mercury thermometer I have had since I was a young kid. I did the old military calibration trick on it to test accuracy

( Fill 12 oz glass with ice, fill half way with water. Put thermometer to be tested in center not touching any sides or bottom. Wait 5 minutes and whatever the thermometer reads, that point is 32 degrees (F) or 0 degrees (C) ). I can vouch that is a very accurate failsafe calibration method that works for the old glass mercury, red spirit and any type that can be put onto the center of the glass jar or any container holding Ice and water. Must wait the 5 minutes to be accurate.

About the sensor in the 2902/a. Ed way back told me and I'm not sure I should mention it but he said the sensor suit is better, more accurate than the WS-8478 Falcon with proprietary sensors. Makes ya want tear one open just to look huh... :shock: Ed, If you see this and want me to remove this let me know in private and I will edit this out.

Where I seem to have my sensor array seems to be about the best place I can have it. The almost constant wind across the sensors seem to be just right. The one thing I am not sure of and have no control of is how Madis/APRS measure wind speed and direction. Of course looking at our own wind vane and guessing at the speed if you don't own a calibrated gauge we're stuck being compared to other users in your local area and you could be calibrated all you want but still compared to old out of calibration, rain gauge with this years bird nests still in them.

Hmmm getting excited over this WS-2000 thing. Appreciate you letting us know.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:03:02 AM by andyk1 »

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 03:41:31 AM »
Out of curiosity I looked at Ambientweather.com and didn't realized the WS-2000 is already... well was available. Sold out of course. Didn't real the spec's but am sure there about the same. The display looks great also. Wow, saves in Excel also. Very good for backup's which is one thing I have struggled with since I used WU as my backup site and unreliable the past year or so. This WS-2902/A or WS-2000 I should say is looking better all the time. Just hope it's not out of stock for long.

Andy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
The WS-2000 went on sale very briefly around July from what I heard elsewhere. They sold like 9 of them before they stopped because of a software bug. So it isn't really sold out. It is just waiting on software / firmware update to be ready. Very soon.

I'm running 4.4.7 on my ObserverIP. Everything seems good. Much fast Live Data page loads.

Tele-Pole

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
The WS-2000 went on sale very briefly around July from what I heard elsewhere. They sold like 9 of them before they stopped because of a software bug. So it isn't really sold out. It is just waiting on software / firmware update to be ready. Very soon.

I'm running 4.4.7 on my ObserverIP. Everything seems good. Much fast Live Data page loads.

Well crap, I just spent a while typing out a nice long response and it didn't go through. I read up a few post ago and basically understand what you where saying about getting a 2902 to and "A" and then just buying a ws2000 console.

One thing. I have been having major lock up's on my ObserverIP and before I order a replacement it works fine for weeks at time and then every other day it locks up at random and that auto reboot feature does not work for me if it stops communicating for 20 min. Have you experienced anything like that.

Andy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
I've only had my ObserverIP as short while and I have seen that lock up you mentioned. I've seen it on version 4.4.5 so I upgraded to 4.4.7 and I got it again today...what timing. But from what I've read I think I may be the cause by what I'm dong with the ObserverIP.

I recently got a Meteobridge and was testing it. So I have my computer looking at the ObserverIP Live Data page to confirm numbers match and playing with calibration..etc..etc. From what I've read in the firmware notes for the ObserverIP it is a not a powerful device and has some hardware limitations. So having multiple devices talking to it (Live Data and page scraping that the Meteobridge does) is not something the ObserverIP is good at handling all at the same time.

The thing to do is to make sure you don't leave any browsers open to the ObseverIP Live Data page unsupervised. Meaning it is okay to look to calibrate and make sure things are working but when you are done then close browser sessions and maybe physically reboot the ObserverIP for good measure. I just learned this so now I'm going to stay off the ObserverIP and the only thing talking to it will be my Meteobridge starting today to see if lockup still occurs...hopefully not.  I'll see how it goes and report back. Make sure you didn't leave a browser window open to Live Data on a mobile phone or other computer.  I'm going to keep running 4.4.7. If that doesn't work then I'll downgrade to 4.4.6, then 4.4.5, then 4.4.4, and if that doesn't work skip down to 4.4.0 (as 4.4.2 and 4.4.1 are very bad with WU). I'm hesitant to run anything below 4.4.0 because there are very bad known bugs that I'm not willing to deal with.

You mentioned that you hadn't upgraded to 4.5 yet on the ObserverIP and I'm assuming that means 4.4.5 as there is no 4.5. You also didn't mention what version you currently are running on the ObserverIP.

Version 4.3.8 was the first version to supposedly address the lockup issue...but the notes also warn that you still should only have more than 1 overlapping request at a time (so don't expect the Meteobridge to talk to it at the same time that you have the Live Data page loaded on a browser or some other software trying to scrap the data).  But version 4.3.8 introduced a time stamp issue that was corrected with 4.4.0.  And that is why I think 4.4.0 is the lowest firmware I'd be will to go down to.

This inspired me to do a detailed post regarding firmware for ObserverIP for use with the WS-2902A.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34948.0

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:43:08 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 10:40:14 PM »
First off I was running ver 4.4.4 On the OberverIP. This random lock up issue goes way back to when we had telenet access but no longer. I don't remember the ver number but something like 4.2.1 but just a guess. Since you do have a meteobridge I would move all feeds to that except one going to ambientweather.net to take the load off the Observer.

I just updated to 4.4.7 earlier this morning and like clockwork it also locked up but I did not manually reboot after that. I to wish someday they would come out with a new device with more robust rom and ram as I think that is the problem or lack of.

Without realizing it I did have a 2902a after updating to 4.0.2 on that. So I am ready for the new console when it is made available.
Hardware wise it is the same except for software and the console. I'll be getting one.

Andy