Author Topic: Help A New Guy  (Read 7862 times)

Offline TexasPatriot

Re: Help A New Guy
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
The station is cheap enough, and Texas could hold out for the Atlas from Acurite...

I am very interested to see how the Atlas 7/8 and Elite stack up and hold up.  This will at least hold me until they come out and have some time behind them to see if they last or if there are a bunch of problems.  This unit is cheap enough where I won't be heart broken if hail kills it after a year, but will get me started at least until a better solution for my needs/desires comes along and my budget increases.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »
So you bought the Weatherwise ws-1090? I may get one myself, for that price... I like that it has a solar charger on it.

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2017, 08:45:11 PM »
So you bought the Weatherwise ws-1090? I may get one myself, for that price... I like that it has a solar charger on it.

No, I got the Ambient WS-1400.  It was what I needed for a starter station.  If I decide I want more, I will check out the Davis Vue or the new Atlas 7/8/Elite systems.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2017, 08:54:12 PM »
I hope you have better luck with it than kmahler reported... I would use some thin lubricant on the anemometer and really work it over good to break it in and loosen it up before permanent installation.

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »
I hope you have better luck with it than kmahler reported... I would use some thin lubricant on the anemometer and really work it over good to break it in and loosen it up before permanent installation.

I thoroughly inspected the anemometer upon unboxing.  It spins freely and has been registering 1-2mph wind speeds no problem.  It is about 1mph off a Davis system 1 neighborhood over.  So far, so good!