Author Topic: Battery chemistry & voltage  (Read 3845 times)

Offline btw-nc

Battery chemistry & voltage
« on: January 15, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »
My 1400-IP came with rechargeable alkaline batteries, which measured 1.6V out of the package. Before I measured them, I had installed Eneloop NiMH batteries which for the moment seem to be working OK (but I've only been up & running for a couple of days).

NiMH batteries only provide 1.25V, so I'm wondering if I should keep the Eneloops in there or swap them for the higher voltage OEM batteries.
Davis 6153 24HR FARS, in service 18MAR2017

Offline eyecue

Re: Battery chemistry & voltage
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:14:25 PM »
Remember Ohms law:  Lower voltage is higher amperage and more heat, faster component failure. If you are somewhere that gets cold, you may want to consider lithium batteries.
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »
seem his unit came with rechargeable batteries  so the solar can recharge them. Lithium batteries last time I check they where not rechargeable.

John

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:24:27 PM »
No way I'd put NIMH on an alkaline designed charger without knowing whether it was a smart charger, etc.  (I wouldn't trust it, even then...) If that thing insists on pumping to charge a 1.2V rated cell to 1.5v+  bad things could happen... I'm not sure why I'd want to power my device with ±82% voltage per cell...

Offline btw-nc

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'm going to put the OEM batteries in.
Davis 6153 24HR FARS, in service 18MAR2017

Offline zroger73

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
I'd like to buy another set of batteries for my WS-1400-IP, but Ambient Weather's website has been showing "out of stock" for what seems like months. I can't seem to find rechargeable alkalines anywhere. I find plenty of non-rechargeable alkalines, lithiums, NiCds and NiMHs, but no rechargeable alkalines. I found an interesting article on rechargeable alkalines here...

http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/rechargeable.html

According to the author, RAMs first appeared in 1992. Rayovac discontinued their "Renewal" series in 2004 followed by a couple other brands around 2011. Two brands were mentioned as of the date the article was written (March 2015) that were still around, but now those appear to no longer exist as well.

Ambient weather suggests replacing the batteries in the sensor array every 2-3 years. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the reason they stopped selling the batteries is because they know the sensor array probably won't last last long and that people will either discard the system or buy a new sensor array that includes new batteries.

I emailed asking if they if other battery types would work. Their reply was, "Please call 480-346-3380 when you are ready to place your order and we can add 1 in stock for you." I take this to mean that if you want to buy replacement batteries they have to "pull" some from a stock dedicated to installation in new sensor arrays and "put" them in salable inventory.

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
  • Type of station: HP1001WiFi & WH2600IP (WS1400IP)
    • Check on-line measurements and forecasts of Gdansk in Poland
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 05:58:17 PM »
(...) NiMH batteries only provide 1.25V, so I'm wondering if I should keep the Eneloops in there or swap them for the higher voltage OEM batteries.

I'd like to buy another set of batteries for my WS-1400-IP, but Ambient Weather's website... (...)

Dedicated power to 1400IP is 1.5V. Recommended batteries are ZnMn (RAM) 1.5V 2000mAh or ecological NiZn 1.6V 1500 to 2500mAh. They have the very low level of self discharge. Other types are not suitable for 1400IP because it requires a special charging NiZn - pulse charging system - other than lithium, or NiMH batteries.

Bateries NiZn

Universal Charger with additional charge pulse to NiZn.

Regards

Offline Mogens

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
I found batteries as those sitting in my weather station.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282277061511?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=581334351191&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Unfortunately, it seems that they do not submit to the US.
(I live in Europe, so for me it's not a problem.)
WS-2902 clone.
Home weather station:
https://inaogmogens.dk/weather

Offline zroger73

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
At 6:12 AM this morning, I got the following email from Ambient Weather:

Good News!

The item you requested a notification for is back in-stock.
You may view the item at http://www.AmbientWeather.com/amws1000batt.html

Thank you for your patience,
AmbientWeather.com.

Around 7:00 AM, I added 3 to my cart, but did not have time to check out because I had to drive to work.

At 8:30 AM, I went to check out and now the batteries are out of stock again.

What a joke!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:33:06 AM by zroger73 »

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
At 6:12 AM this morning, I got the following email from Ambient Weather:

Good News!

The item you requested a notification for is back in-stock.
You may view the item at http://www.AmbientWeather.com/amws1000batt.html

Thank you for your patience,
AmbientWeather.com.

Did you notice that the date of production of Zn Mn to November 2012? It's a bit stale now. I wonder what voltage are after opening the package?   ;)

Offline zroger73

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »
Did you notice that the date of production of Zn Mn to November 2012? It's a bit stale now. I wonder what voltage are after opening the package?   ;)

I did, actually. ;)

Funny...I got another email stating they were in stock again just after 6:00 this morning. I immediately visited the website and tried to add 3 sets to my cart, but it told me that was more than was available. I tried 2 sets and got the same message. Apparently, they are offering only one set at a time for sale. Since shipping is 3 times the cost of the batteries, there is no way I'm going to buy one set at time! I'll light this cheaply-made WS-1400-IP on fire first! :)

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
@zroger73         In which country do you live?

Offline zroger73

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
United States

Offline zroger73

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
I finally caught the batteries in stock one morning and successfully added 3 sets to my cart. However, I was only charged for and received 2 sets. I called Ambient Weather and they claimed I bought the last two sets and they didn't have any more to send me. I find this company relatively difficult to get a hold of via telephone or email and have been given conflicting information by different employees. I get the feeling they will tell you anything just to get you off the phone - that's if they answer the phone. At any rate, Ed did offer some additional information about the batteries.

Ambient Weather Customer Care <support@ambientweather.com>  Feb 20 at 9:51 AM

The weather station uses alkaline batteries because of their wide temperature range.  However, any AA battery will work in the unit, including non-rechargeable batteries.

If alkaline batteries are unavailable, we recommend non-rechargeable Energizer e2 Lithium batteries. They operate between -40 °F and 140 °F (-40 to 60 °C).  They will not damage the weather station or the batteries because of the low charging current.

Using Ni-Mh rechargables are fine but expect a very limited temperature operating range.

Regards

Ed

It's good to know other types of batteries can be used in a pinch without damaging the weather station. I wonder how long non-rechargeable alkalines would last? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?

My concerns are probably moot since it appears the sensor arrays don't last any longer than a set of batteries, anyway. :)

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 05:49:50 PM »
This man writes nonsense !!!

Station WS1001 and clones 1400 IP ZnMn require batteries or NiZn (1.5V). Both types are loaded impulse current - produced by the electronics (battery charger) connected the solar panel. Other types of batteries (NiMH, NiCd, lithium) are loaded current line - and also applies voltage 1.2V.

Using other batteries do not provide continuous - even in winter - broadcasting the WH24 to the console station.

It's not just about the low level of self-discharge which offers NiZn or ZnMn or Eneloops battery . What is important is first and foremost parameter 1.5V but even more important is to ensure a constant charge - sensor WH24 provides such charging only NiZn and ZnMn batteries .
If the station requires 1.5V to constantly send a signal and that no errors - a one-time battery voltage 1.5V constantly do not offer. When 1,3V are already useless and should be removed immediately.    ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:53:24 PM by Rychu »

Offline Zippy114

• My PWS on Weather Underground
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
So ... these batteries should work?  Can anyone "verify"?  thx

Ni-Zn 2500mWh NIZN 1.6V Rechargeable AA Battery Nickel Zinc
https://www.amazon.com/2500mWh-Rechargeable-Battery-Nickel-Camera/dp/B00W1DASO2

Zippy114
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:33:36 PM by Zippy114 »

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »
So ... these batteries should work?  Can anyone "verify"?  thx

Ni-Zn 2500mWh NIZN 1.6V Rechargeable AA Battery Nickel Zinc
https://www.amazon.com/2500mWh-Rechargeable-Battery-Nickel-Camera/dp/B00W1DASO2

Yes, they are the right batteries - 1.6V also appropriate.   ;)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 01:55:13 AM »
Just buy these

Installed in ws1001 July 2015 still running October 2017  2 years and 3 months ...

https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Rechargeable-Batteries-Count-Packaging/dp/B000XSA60I/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1508046687&sr=8-3&keywords=duracell+aa+rechargeable+batteries

Unless you live in an extreme sub zero climate they will work just fine..
Brian..