Author Topic: Your ideal weather location  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Your ideal weather location
« on: December 23, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »
Some time ago I developed a page which allows one to filter places based on weather - average annual temperature, humidity, day length, climate class, monthly parameters, min/max values, precipitation etc etc.

I did mention it in the Meteotemplate thread in the past that this is my favorite plugin and so I was looking at it yesterday again and I was thinking where I would move if I was only to base this decision on the climate and landscape at that place.

So I thought it would be interesting to see what other people think about this. So the question is - if you could choose any place on Earth and move there, only basing your decision on the weather/climate and landscape, disregarding all the rest like state of development, language, cost of living etc.

For me, based on my page it looks like I should move to either Northern Canada or Alaska :D

Just in case you also wanted to use my page to help you decide the link is here:
http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/climateMaps/index.php

The only problem I have is that apart from colder weather I also prefer long nights and the obvious problem is that places with long nights also have long days half of the year :D So ideally I should probably move every half a year from one hemisphere to the other :D

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Your ideal weather location
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
I am in the south most part of Canada and based on your question, I would move further south, likely one of the Caribbean islands.  I do like the four distinct seasons here but the 3 or 4 months of potential cold, slushy and blizzard is not the most ideal for me.

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »
I know Paul, I saw where you live, but London was too far South for my taste :D

Offline EastFrisianGuy

• Private Weather Station Bremerhaven
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:47:03 AM »
Hi,

I think i would probably choose the Southern/Central parts of Scandinavia. I live in the Northern part of Germany close to the coast and the winters here are too mild and too unstable for my taste. So i would rather have a stable moderately cold winter with a reliable snow cover but not too cold nights, my personal limit here would be about -30°C or so.
Most parts of Canada would be too far south for me though, since i like the long winter nights we already got here at 53° North (and even more so the long days in summer) so anything further south than 50° would be no option for me. ;)

Then again i prefer a sunny and warmish (but not too hot) summer, so the southern parts of Scandinavia and also the westernmost parts of Russia and the Baltics would fit the bill here.
However even here where i live, the summer has become warmer and sunnier over the last couple of years and the water temperatures of the North Sea had often surpassed the 20°C (68°F) mark in mid and late summer. So maybe best option would be to stay here from about April to October and spend the other half in Scandinavia.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays and best regards

Georg

Best Regards

Georg

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »
In Iowa there is a saying, "If you don't like the weather here, wait a day or so.  It will change."

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »
Think I'll just stay where I am. Been around lot of the world and here the winters are not  too warm and summers are not too cold. Long days in summer and  long nights in winter. 

John

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
In the Ozarks with a view of Table Rock Lake. Winters are mild and short and summers are long and hot. I love seasons changing and a time when it is a bit chilly.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
Mount Waiʻaleʻale Hawaii.
Not hotter then 83 and no colder then 61. And an average 450 inches per year. :-)
Oh yeah, hardly any people either.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
I was quite surprised when I tried some filters on the map I created to find out how little variation there is at some places.

There are places where the both annual and daily range is extremely small. At some places, the monthly averages have a range of less than 1 degree and even the daily range is extremely small. Its basically the same temperature all year round (usually around 25 deg C). in addition, these places are only found near the equator, which means even the day length is basically the same all the time, somewhere around 12h

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
    • Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, Arizona
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 02:19:56 PM »
1 - 100m in from the beach,in (a) Solomon Islands, (b) Vanuatu

2 - Cairns, or Townsville - both in N Queensland, Aussie.

oh, wait a minute, you mean where in my yard is the ideal location? 

Ken
 :oops:

anything