Author Topic: Hurricane Matthew  (Read 18885 times)

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
Re: Hurricane Matthew
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2016, 02:17:03 AM »
NASA has prepared for the Hurricane Mathew and ride-out team of 139 people will stay at KSC throughout the closure period to make sure the facility's most important buildings are safe. The NASA officials say that after the hurricane pass, the damage will be assessed by the Damage Assessment and Recovery Team.
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2016, 03:03:34 AM »
NASA has prepared for the Hurricane Mathew and ride-out team of 139 people will stay at KSC throughout the closure period to make sure the facility's most important buildings are safe. The NASA officials say that after the hurricane pass, the damage will be assessed by the Damage Assessment and Recovery Team.

Hmmm .... wonder how they will "make sure the buildings are safe" when roofs and walls are being ripped off. Hope it doesn't come to that of course but imagining people against a hurricane doesn't make sense to me.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2016, 08:56:22 AM »
Has anyone had issues trying to get on the NHC or SPC's websites for the last 12 hours or so? I haven't been able to load either one.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »
Back in the 60's I was at the NASA Mississippi Test Facility on Saturn V and was on the ride out crew and I think we had one get within 24 hours but never came in. You just secure everything you can and hole up in the block houses. We rented a little house off a bayou off Pontchartrain and had a small boat. Pulled the boat, put it on the trailer, put it in the garage, put the TV and a few things in the boat and hoped for only rising water and that the roof would stay in place, fortunately never had to find out.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
Farmtalk, it looks like the NHC site is working ok to me....unless I'm missing something...??   Hurricane Matthew data shows to have been updated at 9:00am EDT 10/7/16.

Best wishes,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »
Farmtalk, it looks like the NHC site is working ok to me....unless I'm missing something...??   Hurricane Matthew data shows to have been updated at 9:00am EDT 10/7/16.

Best wishes,
Ed

Thank you! And strangely, it just popped back up for me.

Interestingly, the NHC is now forecasting for it to not make landfall. That's good news for a lot of people. :-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2016, 09:17:54 AM »
My county is not in the cone, but we are being told by the local office of the NWS, that we can expect a foot of rain.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2016, 09:24:49 AM »
My county is not in the cone, but we are being told by the local office of the NWS, that we can expect a foot of rain.

If it makes you feel better, the European model has much less than that forecast for Florida between now and Sunday night. I do NOT treat weather models like gospel, but just something to consider. That model has placed the heaviest rain over North Carolina actually as Matthew makes the big right hand turn and slows down.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2016, 09:40:27 AM »
Storm is 70 miles due east of me.
Pretty lame here actually. About an inch of rain so far and a gust to 30.
Surprised at the small amount of rain bands. I know the west side is the dry side but for a storm this developed and still over water I expected more deep convection.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:47:01 AM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2016, 09:48:30 AM »
Nice picture! I haven't seen many gusts over 80 mph, which is certainly very good. The eye wall has stayed offshore though, which has helped tremendously thus far in that department. Perhaps it will stay that way.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Sooner Al

• Old enough to know better...
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2016, 10:05:52 AM »
Back in the 60's I was at the NASA Mississippi Test Facility on Saturn V and was on the ride out crew and I think we had one get within 24 hours but never came in.

I was at the Stennis site in 1976 through early 1979. I worked for NAVOCEANO (US Naval Oceanographic Office) that moved there from the Washington DC area. I was one of the early arrivals.
Retired NWS ESA/ET
Sys: Davis VP2 (Wireless)

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2016, 10:10:05 AM »
We arrived a few days before Christmas '65, it was definitely an adventure.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »
Better listen to this guy!
[youtube]8od3hX5coZo[/youtube]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
Not that he couldn't be right, but I think sensationalism like this is why so many folks tend to "blow off" weather events like this because some go through it, then don't have the common decency to prove him right.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2016, 05:40:55 PM »
Not that he couldn't be right, but I think sensationalism like this is why so many folks tend to "blow off" weather events like this because some go through it, then don't have the common decency to prove him right.

I work in a newsroom. I do not like it actually - it has been good experience for me in learning what not to be. I don't want to be someone who sensationalizes and dramatizes events and situations. Most newsrooms do that now and to be that is very bothersome.

I found that video just hilarious. :lol:
Joe Fitzwater

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2016, 05:53:51 PM »
I found that video just hilarious. :lol:
Honestly, when he first started up, I thought it was going to be a bad joke/parody, then I realized it wasn't.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »
I really don't like it when the media and politicians try to use "children" as their go-to for whatever they are trying to accomplish. It's sickening. The kids don't belong to them.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »
I really don't like it when the media and politicians try to use "children" as their go-to for whatever they are trying to accomplish. It's sickening. The kids don't belong to them.
Good point. How many that are too young to truly comprehend the situation saw that, now will be petrified every time it rains in fear for their life.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2016, 09:40:38 PM »
Just noting the "reach" of Hurricane Matthew... 

Using Google Earth I figure I'm currently about 350 miles west of Hurricane Matthew.  We had kind of a mackerel sky this morning and then some wispy clouds throughout the day.  The wind has been breezy with a high gust of 21mph today.  We've had no rain in the last nine days and none forecast for the next week...sunny skies.  But...

This is what the sky looked like at twilight today...
IMG_0046app2 (Custom) by Intheswamp, on Flickr

Now, if you look at this image you can see the tendrils that were passing over us...the far western bands in south Alabama.  But, now, look all the way up north to Pennsylvania...Matthew has got some reach!
Matthewtendrils by Intheswamp, on Flickr

Just an observation, FWIW. :)
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
I live in West Virginia and got a solid half inch of rain directly as a result of Matthew today. Talk about a reach!  :shock:
Joe Fitzwater

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2016, 08:20:36 AM »
So is it safe to say this has been overrated? Yes, issues.  But the language used was amazingly strong.
This has been a problem for a few years. It just makes todays short attention span world, not listen to them at all.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »
They got burned by Katrina when they didn't hype it as much and it turned into a huge disaster, so they over compensate and now everything is a cat 5 with death and destruction - until it doesn't happen, but that desensitizes people. Dan Rather many many years ago decried his industries downward spiral when he said in the 70's newsrooms became a profit center. After that everything changed and of course today "journalism" is dead, I never watch the news, only the weather. I read a fair amount, but selectively.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2016, 08:35:45 AM »
I think the wind has been far overrated, but the rain may not have been. I'll update that after the storm moves off. If it's like the "experts" predict, most of the eastern side of NC will be flooded equal to or beyond Floyd in 1999. The dialog has been stronger than I can ever recall, other than the last major tornado outbreak.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »
I don't feel the wind was over rated. If the storm would have taken a track 25 miles further west we would be singing a tune of praise. Just think, 25 miles made all the difference. How often is the path of "normal" weather predictions 25 miles off?

anything