Author Topic: Bloomsky durability  (Read 4473 times)

Offline thomas

• Contributor
Bloomsky durability
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
After 9 months my Bloomsky pressure readings flatlined and connectivity became erratic.  They were nice enough and replaced my unit.  It seems a fair amount of other people on this board have also had some problems with durability.  How many here have one working for more than a year ? My location in Michigan puts the camera through some extreme weather.  I like the Bloomsky, but if it were out of warranty, I am not sure I would replace it.  My next thought would be how deep are the company pockets to keep replacing units all the time ?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Bloomsky durability
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »
Interesting, in fact I would also be interested in this because to me it seems like almost everyone has their at least second unit... makes me wonder where they really make profit given the fact that I know some people have their second/third unit and they even got it for free as part of the promition...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »
I had one of the originals from the first Kickstarter campaign.  The camera developed problems and it was replaced.

My replacement BloomSky has been in operation over a year.  The only problem I've had was with an AC adapter.

I don't know what their business plan is, but apparently it's working well enough for them to stay in business and take care of their customers.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »
I wonder if that was their plan from the beginning.
Mass distribute the units and see what happens.
Probably not but I'm sure they realize now the original units weren't very good.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
I had one of the originals from the first Kickstarter campaign.  The camera developed problems and it was replaced.

My replacement BloomSky has been in operation over a year.  The only problem I've had was with an AC adapter.

I don't know what their business plan is, but apparently it's working well enough for them to stay in business and take care of their customers.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying their business model is flawed but Im just surprised. "Experimenting" and giving away for free as part of promotion is usually something that a big company with other products/services can afford, but usually not a startup.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »
I am on my third sky1

I saw the unit and called their order dept . Told to order it from Amazon as they didn't have any in stock. So I ordered it.  The first one arrived quickly , I got it with the solar panel. My first clue that things were not great, had trouble getting it to sync with the router.  It wouldn't connect until after 3 resets.   When it rained I lost signal and it would disconnect.

I packed it up and sent it back to Amazon as it was defective.   They sent me a second one. This one wouldn't hold a charge, seemed the solar panel was did not work.   I also noted that it dropped signal.  So  I bought the biggest router Best Buy had.  A Linksys 1900  which is for large homes.  I put that right next to the window where the Bloomsky was.  I noticed that the signal had issues.  So I downloaded an app called "Wifi Sweetspot"  from the apple store.   when put on the same router that the Bloomsky was, I could walk around the yard until I got the optimum signal.   

Still it was losing charge, a good friend of mine sent his back and didn't get a replacement for the same reason.   I contacted Bloomsky. they sent me a new Sky1 from their supply (obviously they had replacements) and I replaced the solar and unit.   This one immediately linked to the router, but it wouldn't work in the previous location, so I walked around , found the sweet spot and here we are.

I asked Bloomsky a few questions.  the temperature range -the low end is -4F.  It gets that cold at times, can I keep the unit outside?  They said "no"  the low temp would damage the unit.  That is interesting, Damage, not cease to work at that temperature, but damage.   So  When we get into the thick of winter,  I am bringing it inside, putting it in the bay window and plug it in,  I'll do the same with the solar panel.

Can the battery be replaced as the unit grows older?  No,  it can't be replace, eventually it has to be a new unit (much different from any of  the real stations.)   Accuracy,
  Right now it is overcast.  The davis reads 59.3F  The Bloomsky 60F.  Pretty close, but it is overcast.  In direct sun.. the Davis is lower.  I'd go with the Davis here.
Humidity, 96/97%.  same score.  Barometer. 30.03 Bloomsky, 30.10 Davis.     dew Point, 59F bloom sky, 58 Davis.

When the sun is out, both units in direct sunlight, The radiation shield on the Bloomsky will run higher.  But I expect that. For the price of the unit, the plastic construction,  it would be what I expected.

I bought it for the camera that is nice.  I also kickstarted their Storm, the wind/rain unit. i am eager to see how that compares.   

So durability,  I would say that the solar panel is good. The unit itself, can't take the cold winters out here, but these kids who designed it live in California where -4F doesn't happen.  You have to bring the unit in , during the cold.   I would always go with the Davis or whatever professional station you have.   

I do like that I can go to the portal   https://bloomsky.desk.com/   to see the battery life, the stats on the station, download them and so forth.  Yes, this unit right now  seems to be doing its job.   What the Kickstart Storm has I don't know.    It arrives sometime in October.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 10:51:56 AM »
but these kids who designed it live in California where -4F doesn't happen

:grin:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »
I asked Bloomsky a few questions.  the temperature range -the low end is -4F.  It gets that cold at times, can I keep the unit outside?  They said "no"  the low temp would damage the unit.  That is interesting, Damage, not cease to work at that temperature, but damage.   

I really doubt that it it would do damage.  More likely that's about the point the point the battery will give out.

If I remember correctly, there was a battery upgrade option during the kickstarter phase that took it -40. I didn't opt for it.

As for the battery being replaceable, I'm pretty sure it is, unless they changed something in the past couple of years.  (see link below)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/907431954/bloomsky-snapshot-of-your-weather/posts/903799

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 11:36:01 AM »
I read their blog and it sounds like it is an option.   From reading all the stuff, I am going to wait before I update.  I wonder what they will do next year when they start making radical changes.   

I am going to do a wait and see approach on this one.  I did order the storm just to see what it does on kickstarter. I am in the October shipment detail.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »
If I remember correctly, it was quite severe winter this yr in the U.S. and I remember some guys here on the forum said they had Bloomsky outside functioning normally at temps well below -4F

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »
My unit worked fine last winter with a -10F.  I am in a Lake Michigan snow belt so I had to continually brush snow of the camera and solar panel, but the Bloomsky performed well.  As mentioned at the start of the post it worked great for 9 months than problems.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 01:30:52 PM »
I think the unit should withstand such cold conditions, the major problem is going to be the battery, which is going to drain very quickly.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
Come test it at -40. 10 below isn't that cold and 4 below is pinic weather.

John

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 02:32:50 PM »
Come test it at -40. 10 below isn't that cold and 4 below is pinic weather.

John
Dam wuss's down there in the lower 48. -4 and we're barbecuing up here. :lol:
Love it.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline kc2kzz

• Solitude Village Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »
I have had mine since February and aside from having to power cycle it once, I haven't had any problems.

I am seeing a lot of corrosion on those little copper dots on the flat part of the unit.  Has anyone tried to clean those with copper cleaner or anything?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
I have had mine since February and aside from having to power cycle it once, I haven't had any problems.

I am seeing a lot of corrosion on those little copper dots on the flat part of the unit.  Has anyone tried to clean those with copper cleaner or anything?

There's no real reason to.  From the Bloomsky documentation:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »
Not sure what the metal coating is. Originally I thought copper, but I doubt it. Mine is yucky looking too.    But i am not worried.  At least some big bird didn't turd on it.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 05:01:20 PM »
Not sure what the metal coating is. Originally I thought copper, but I doubt it. Mine is yucky looking too.    But i am not worried.  At least some big bird didn't turd on it.

It's copper.