Author Topic: WS-1001 having trouble with firmware 2.2.9  (Read 7457 times)

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
Re: WS-1001 having trouble with firmware 2.2.9
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »
ok, so your issue is different than mine.  (I assume you've TRIED to force a time update?)

If you are getting internet time but you can't hit the server for weather upload then there is some kind of blockage going on. It seems like you wouldn't be able to log in to weather underground from the panel if that were true.

I wonder if you having a name server problem. In my server.ini it is "rtupdate.wunderground.com". If I try to browse to it I get an error but at least the web address is found. If the web address does not exist it is a DNS error such as "http://www.qzwvg.com/" would give since the site doesn't exist. But you will also get that if your DNS server can't find a legitimate address. Interesting if your ISP blocked that or something.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »
Did you also deleted manual in the NAND drive the WirelessDef.dat file before you rebooted ?

Yes

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
ok, so your issue is different than mine.  (I assume you've TRIED to force a time update?)

If you are getting internet time but you can't hit the server for weather upload then there is some kind of blockage going on. It seems like you wouldn't be able to log in to weather underground from the panel if that were true.

I wonder if you having a name server problem. In my server.ini it is "rtupdate.wunderground.com". If I try to browse to it I get an error but at least the web address is found. If the web address does not exist it is a DNS error such as "http://www.qzwvg.com/" would give since the site doesn't exist. But you will also get that if your DNS server can't find a legitimate address. Interesting if your ISP blocked that or something.

Nope.  It's not that, I don't even see it do the DNS lookup (I'm a network/system admin).

Ed @Ambient gave me a good deal on the ObserverIP module, so I'm fine.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »
Nope.  It's not that, I don't even see it do the DNS lookup (I'm a network/system admin).

Ed @Ambient gave me a good deal on the ObserverIP module, so I'm fine.

I didn't know you had that as your background so I am telling you things you already know. I did some of that several years ago.

What I plan on doing is getting another whole WS-1001 this fall since I am having sensor trouble as well. I want to take the old sensor unit apart just for curiosity sake and spare parts if it ever comes to that. The old panel will still work in another room except that the time will have to be manually set once in a while. I am also curious how the new sensor readings will compare to the old ones the day I replace it.

Offline swainstm

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »
Hi StratosDog,

I am interested in sounding like you have been able to connect a ws-1001 via USB to Windows 10, and see the files on the device if I have correctly understood your post. I have not been able to see the files once connected via USB to Windows 10, although it does work to Windows 7.

I have been assuming it is to do the ws-1001 being windows CE, and from googling it sounds like connect the Win CE device (ie WS-1001) you need "Windows Mobile Device Center" which I found some information that support for this has been depreciated in Win 10?? I think there might be some people who have worked around this for other devices (eg https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32052429/how-to-connect-a-windows-mobile-pda-to-windows-10), which I have not yet tried. But I am curious to understand if you needed to do anything special to see the files when connected to USB?

I have seen a post which might suggest that it might be accessible via Sync Center, but I have had a look at that, and no idea how to make that work. See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/windows-mobile-device-center-compatibility-with/95c017d8-c243-48a1-bbdc-afb77255ca7f

When I plug ws-1001 device into Windows 10 PC, the PC beeps with the sound it makes when new device is added, and there is no sign of error. But I also can't find the device in device manager, and not sure what it should be named or what category it should show up as. I do get a new device called "microsoft" under "Unspecified" category in "Devices and Printers". If I double click on it, it shows the Hardware as "Microsoft USB Sync" and type "Mobile Devices". But I can't see anywhere where this is mounted int he files system that I can browse?? I am guessing this is what I need "Windows Mobile Device Center" for or am I missing something.

Cheers Matthew

Offline scotch_whisky

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
To access the files on the ws-1001 via USB on Windows 10 proceed as follows:-

Go to "Services" and look for "Windows mobile 2003 device based connectivity".  Double click on this and click "logon". Change  to "Local system account" and tick "Allow service to interact with the desktop.

Go back to "Services" and do the same for "Windows Mobile based device connectivity".

Reboot the PC.

If you now look in "This PC" you should see a new item "Compact" which when opened will show the Ambient console contents.

It is not necessary to download WMDC.  It is already installed as part of Windows 10.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
Well the problem is that even if I were to get the right software to see all the files on the Windows CE side of the file system (not the WU side), what would I do then?

There must have been an original way to format and install Windows CE on the panel, it is just not known to us.

As it is, my old panel will never function beyond a second non-wifi unit. This isn't bad, but it is worth very little to anyone other than that.

anything