Author Topic: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information  (Read 100439 times)

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »
Davis finally wrote me back, and they do not upgrade the temp. sensor to the new SHT31 when doing the refurbish.  But, they will recalibrate my sensors, update everything, and put the newest firmware on my console.  $200 is cheaper than buying a new one for sure.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
My two cents worth are to get a new ISS. You can buy one (the 24 hour FARS) from Ryan at Scaled Instruments for $398 plus shipping. You get all new equipment, a level indicator, the new SHT31 temp-humidity sensor, bird spikes on the rain collector, etc., etc. Your console is fine as is and will work with the new ISS. I got a new ISS a few weeks ago and was surprised at some of the enhancements (tweaks) Davis has made since I bought mine 11 years ago. I doubt Davis will include these tweaks if you have them refurbish your unit. In addition, if you have an issue with your new ISS or it needs routine maintenance (cleaning, etc.), you can start using your old ISS until you can clean or whatever you are doing with the new one--your posts to CWOP or WU continues!  :grin:

I'm just curious, what kinda tweaks did they make? Perhaps I'm not very observant but my old VP2 bought in August 2005 looks no different than my current one bought in February 2016.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2016, 09:28:32 PM »
My two cents worth are to get a new ISS. You can buy one (the 24 hour FARS) from Ryan at Scaled Instruments for $398 plus shipping. You get all new equipment, a level indicator, the new SHT31 temp-humidity sensor, bird spikes on the rain collector, etc., etc. Your console is fine as is and will work with the new ISS. I got a new ISS a few weeks ago and was surprised at some of the enhancements (tweaks) Davis has made since I bought mine 11 years ago. I doubt Davis will include these tweaks if you have them refurbish your unit. In addition, if you have an issue with your new ISS or it needs routine maintenance (cleaning, etc.), you can start using your old ISS until you can clean or whatever you are doing with the new one--your posts to CWOP or WU continues!  :grin:

I'm just curious, what kinda tweaks did they make? Perhaps I'm not very observant but my old VP2 bought in August 2005 looks no different than my current one bought in February 2016.

I used the word "tweaks" in May? I guess I got carried away. But my other comments re the SHT 31, bird spikes, etc. stand. That said, Davis is very coy about talking about enhancements. They may have made some but to the untrained eye, we don't see them. I still would get a new ISS for $398 from Ryan.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »

I used the word "tweaks" in May? I guess I got carried away. But my other comments re the SHT 31, bird spikes, etc. stand. That said, Davis is very coy about talking about enhancements. They may have made some but to the untrained eye, we don't see them. I still would get a new ISS for $398 from Ryan.

True. I read somewhere in this message board that they made tweaks to the SIM for the AS revision VP2's, but unless you're an electronics guru, I doubt you could see them or figure them out.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »

True. I read somewhere in this message board that they made tweaks to the SIM for the AS revision VP2's, but unless you're an electronics guru, I doubt you could see them or figure them out.

Without that tweak in the Pcboard, a person using the SHT31 would have to recalibrate the VP2 console by .9 degrees. Not a big deal, but necessary to have the latest technology properly "talk to" older technology. Give Davis credit for advising us of this necessary calibration adjustment if updating to the SHT31 using older electronics.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2016, 10:06:17 PM »

Give Davis credit for advising us of this necessary calibration adjustment if updating to the SHT31 using older electronics.
Had to, we'd know. :evil:

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2016, 11:56:05 AM »
Went to UPS to ship my station off to Davis.  Just like I've done before.  Just like I always do when I have a box to ship.

$90 bucks.   :shock:

Ninety dollars to ship a box to California??  What?

So I told the guy that isn't going to work.  And he said well that's the cheapest way I can send it.  And I said well that isn't going to work...I'll just keep it.  So I went to the post office, and they shipped it for me for $40 bucks.  With insurance.

It's going to be a long 3 weeks without my station.  :(  But it'll be great when I get it back.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
Went to UPS to ship my station off to Davis.  Just like I've done before.  Just like I always do when I have a box to ship.

$90 bucks.   :shock:

Ninety dollars to ship a box to California??  What?

So I told the guy that isn't going to work.  And he said well that's the cheapest way I can send it.  And I said well that isn't going to work...I'll just keep it.  So I went to the post office, and they shipped it for me for $40 bucks.  With insurance.

It's going to be a long 3 weeks without my station.  :(  But it'll be great when I get it back.

Please update your post and let us know what you thought of the Davis refurb. I now have two VP2s. One for posting to the Internet and the other for testing and experiments! That way, I should be able to keep my WU and CWOP postings current should the primary PWS fail!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:41:26 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
They finally called today to say it's ready and I need to pay for the service. So I should have the station back in a week or two.  I'm going to be out of town for a while, so I'll update later.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2016, 08:00:48 PM »
They finally called today to say it's ready and I need to pay for the service. So I should have the station back in a week or two.  I'm going to be out of town for a while, so I'll update later.

Thanks for the information. When I considered this Davis program they told me 5-7 business days plus in transit (mailing) time. In your case, sounds like they did not achieve that timeframe. I am glad I purchased a new ISS but have gradually replaced all the "stuff" (notably the temp-humidity sensor and PCBA) in my old ISS so now I have two stations (mounted about 40 feet apart on the same fence and elevation) that report to separate VP2 consoles.  Both stations have the new SHT31 sensor and PCBAs (manufactured in 2016) so no console offsets are necessary. Fortunately, the reported temperature and dewpoint readings of the two stations are essentially identical. Unfortunately, the reported humidity levels and amount of rainfall received are not really in synch. Next steps? Possibly a new SHT31 to break a tie and calibration of the rain gauge! This weather hobby keeps me challenged!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:07:00 AM by WheatonRon »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2016, 02:08:06 PM »
Fortunately, the reported temperature and dewpoint readings of the two stations are essentially identical. Unfortunately, the reported humidity levels are not really in synch.
This statement makes no sense Ron. If your temp/dew readings are essentially the same, then so must be your humidity readings. Maybe this chart will help you explore the nuances of their relationship to each other. http://www.dpcalc.org/

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
Fortunately, the reported temperature and dewpoint readings of the two stations are essentially identical. Unfortunately, the reported humidity levels are not really in synch.
This statement makes no sense Ron. If your temp/dew readings are essentially the same, then so must be your humidity readings. Maybe this chart will help you explore the nuances of their relationship to each other. http://www.dpcalc.org/

Maybe the console is bad?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2016, 05:30:58 PM »

Use the calculator to determine that. Both my VP2 and Vue consoles match the calculator exactly.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »

Use the calculator to determine that. Both my VP2 and Vue consoles match the calculator exactly.

Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:36:52 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »
Does any of that information belong in this topic?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »

Probably not, but it is a slow day in weatherland today. The author apparently felt bad and removed his post. I guess a bit of humor is not appreciated in this Forum.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:35:43 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »

Probably not, but it is a slow day in weatherland today. The author apparently felt bad and removed that comment. I guess a bit of humor is not appreciated in this Forum.

I was referring to the fact that this is a "pinned" topic intended to be a repository of "Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information" useful for long-term reference.

My comment was not directed at any individual.  Sorry to have interfered.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:17:00 PM by dalecoy »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2016, 10:38:36 PM »

Probably not, but it is a slow day in weatherland today. The author apparently felt bad and removed that post. I guess a bit of humor is not appreciated in this Forum.

I was referring to the fact that this is a "pinned" topic intended to be a repository of "Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information" useful for long-term reference.

My comment was not directed at any individual.  Sorry to have interfered.

Point taken. I have removed my comment about football as I don't want to interfere with the "integrity" of a pinned topic. I would ask how a topic ends up being "pinned" as there aren't many but I guess I should I ask this question in a topic that is not pinned or someone can send me a personal message and then I will sanitize this post (i.e., remove this sentence) to preserve the sanctity of a pinned topic.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:49:36 AM by WheatonRon »

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2016, 12:03:43 PM »
My station has been in my closet in a box.  I haven't had a chance to reinstall it outdoors yet due to moving to a rental house.  Sigh..   I hope to get it set up again soon.  I've been missing a lot of valuable data.  I think I'm going to go ahead and install it at the permanent location where we are building our new house so I don't ever have to move it again.  I'm hoping the instruments are very accurate again.  Years ago I was very happy with the service they provided when I sent the station in.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »
Finally got my station installed on my new property.  The Davis refurb service was great again.  The anemometer looks brand new.  I guess they replaced the whole thing.  The console looks brand new, so they must have cleaned it very well.  They updated the firmare in it also.  They sent a new battery, hardware, and rain bucket filter also.  Lastly, they also sent a new anemometer cable.  It was almost like getting a brand new VP2 system.

I can now start recording data from it and check it's accuracy against official mesonet sites nearby.  I also need to figure out how to properly ground this installation from lightning too.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
I don't think grounding makes much of a difference. One good strike and its gone.

about half way down on the page http://weather.rms.rdale.org/about.php

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »
Finally got my station installed on my new property.  The Davis refurb service was great again.  The anemometer looks brand new.  I guess they replaced the whole thing.  The console looks brand new, so they must have cleaned it very well.  They updated the firmare in it also.  They sent a new battery, hardware, and rain bucket filter also.  Lastly, they also sent a new anemometer cable.  It was almost like getting a brand new VP2 system.

I can now start recording data from it and check it's accuracy against official mesonet sites nearby.  I also need to figure out how to properly ground this installation from lightning too.

Did they update your humidity-temperature sensor to the new SHT 31? My guess is no, but thought I would ask. You can tell by opening your ISS and checking the part number on the sensor. The SHT 31 sensor for the VP2 is Davis part no. 7346.070.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 04:49:15 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »

VERY nice setup. How far above ground is your ISS and anemometer? I'm also interested if they replaced your T/H sensor to the SHT31.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »
No, according to Davis they do NOT upgrade the sensors to the new model.  I have not cracked mine open to see if I got lucky and they did for me anyway.  But my guess is that they did not.

I personally do not care.  With the "old" model of sensor, I was previously spot-on with the very expensive mesonet equipment installed by agencies near my house.  That's all the accuracy 99.999% of guys need. 

My ISS is 6' AGL, to stay with the specs NWS uses.  I previously had my anemometer 33' AGL for the same reason, but for this installation I used about 13' AGL to avoid interference with utility lines in the area and to prevent vibration from the pole.

I noticed that a nice mount from vendors online start at $59 and go up from there.  I have a total of less than $100 in this entire installation, and it's rock solid.  I used 6x6 pressure treated post with concrete, and then galvanized fence post on top of that for the anemometer.  I bought conduit bracketry to secure the fence pole to the wooden post, and secured everything with "lifetime" lag screws.  If you spend a few hours in Lowe's you can come up with great solutions.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »

I personally do not care.  With the "old" model of sensor, I was previously spot-on with the very expensive mesonet equipment installed by agencies near my house.  That's all the accuracy 99.999% of guys need. 

Though likely true that you had one of the better older sensors, the 31 is just THAT much more accurate and exceptional (not to mention the very latest in sensor technology). If part of the refurb program didn't include cleaning the shield, I would definitely go in and see if they gave you the 31 (while cleaning the shield).