Author Topic: Swann MicroCam 3 question-connecting to PC wirelessly  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Pinster56

Swann MicroCam 3 question-connecting to PC wirelessly
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
I am thinking of buying a Swann MicroCam 3 wireless to replace my cabled webcam that I have been using for my WU page. It says in the reviews that if you want to connect it to your PC, you need a wireless capture card. My PC does not have a capture card, but my PC is the primary PC of my wireless home network. Will I be able to connect this cam wirelessly via my home network?

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
Re: Swann MicroCam 3 question-connecting to PC wirelessly
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
My reading of this cam specs suggests that it uses its own wireless transmit/receive frequency and connects only to its own receiver.  It doesn't connect via 802.11 wireless ethernet.  You have to connect its receiver to your PC or TV, etc. 
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »
You need an IP wireless cam to connect to your wireless home network/lan. I use the Panasonic BL-C131A. You can play with it here ---> http://idaho.viewnetcam.com Click on SINGLE to view the camera. I use a Linksys Wireless WRT54GSV4 router. You can look at other IP web cams here http://www.123securityproducts.com/neipca.html Ip cam's have their own built in wireless connection that usually works with 802.11 b/g wireless router. They work without a pc by sending the data directly to the internet over your LAN. You can access them on your LAN by IP address or with a standard web browser on the internet. They are pretty much a self contained camera with nothing else needed but a plug in for power. Very simple to use and setup with a good picture during the day. Night time they are not so good, but you have to pay good money for a good night view camera.

Edit: I would also do some research before you buy a Swann. Check some reviews. You get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 01:01:31 PM by prvrt »
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
Swann cameras are pretty good cameras for the money. I use several of them for CCTV and to Stream live web video. Mine are all hardwired not wireless so I do not know about the quality of those. They look really good during the day since they are color. They have inferred at night which is B&W.  The MicroCam 3 as pointed out comes with it's own receiver. You will not need a wireless capture card but you will need a capture card in general if you do not have one now. I recommend the Osprey PCI cards as they are the best ones the market and made for streaming live video and you can stream up to 4 cameras with it. It is a mail order card unless you can find one local but it will be hard. It cost about $120 but well worth the money for 4 ports. 

If you have the money to spend then as suggested the IP cams are the best option but they are very pricey. I think the most popular are the Axis IP cams. Those are the ones I am looking to get in the future.