Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4786 times)

Offline demma

Hello
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »
New to this forum so just wanted to say hello,just ordered the Pro 2 shoud be with me in a few days so i will be asking a lot of questions.
Im located about 23 klm sw of Bristol in England.
                 Bye for now
                         Des :-)
Waited 3 weeks still no pro 2, i have now had a refund and placed an order with another company so MAYBE in a few days i will be up and running.
                              Cheers Des
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:52:58 AM by demma »

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:10:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new weather station. There is tons and tons of information here about getting your new station up and running. So I suggest you spend some time hear reading the posts. I sure you will find the answers you need to your questions.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »
Hello Des, welcome to the forum. Somewhere between Bridgwater and Taunton as a guess. I used to live in Wrington.  \:D/

Alan.
Alan

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask anything you want!

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline demma

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask anything you want!

W-S-M ALAN
Josh

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful folks here with lots of knowledge. Everyone is always willing to put in their 2 cents worth (or would be a tuppence  ???). Anyway the knowledge here is worth more than the coins... =D>

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:10:30 PM »
Welcome!  You're going to love your new station and this forum.  You made a good choice.

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:14:06 AM »
I too am new.  I've had a OS WMR200a for  about a week and it still is not working, I've got a bad outdoor sensor.  Decided to box it all up and return for credit.  Gonna order me a wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus and be done with it.  I looking forward to this new hobby.
The more I'm around some people -
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »
Wow, you are already upgrading.  Sounds like your hooked.   :-) 8-)
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »
Sounds more like he was forced to upgade. Two of the same stations had the same exact problem What would you have done????

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »
Yeah, I would have questioned things abit too.  OS needs to get their act together. :evil:
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »
Just to satisfy my curiosity I phoned the tech support at Davis.  Picked up on the 3rd ring, with a real live human to help.  Asked a couple of questions about returns, got the right CUSTOMER answer and plan on ordering the Vantage Plus immediately.  I've already broke down the OS and have it boxed and labeled for return. 

Couple of ?'s.
1)  I just bought a radiation shield from Ambient, will I need it with the Davis unit?  I'm sure that Ambient will allow me to return it if not.
2) What software will I need for internet uploads?  Extra hardware?
3) I bought a Radio Shack tripod for the roof.   Will the entire unit go up there?  Does the rain catcher still need to stay about 3 feet off the ground?  The outside sensor and the wind meter both on the roof about 5-6 feet about the top roof line?

Thanks guys.
The more I'm around some people -
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
1) Not needed
2)  If you did not get Weatherlink/datalogger you will need that.
3) You can remote the anemometer either by cable or wireless repeater (latter is extra charge unit)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »
I hope you ordered the Davis from Ambient using their special low price via e-mail and did not order it directly from Davis.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 10:02:17 AM »
3) You could put the entire unit up on the roof but your temp sensor will be off because of ambient heat from your roof during the summer. Also unless you like being up high regular maintenance of the unit especially cleaning out the rain bucket is needed. I will be splitting my unit in the future with the wireless anemometer kit so I can put the main unit down low (recommended 6' above grass) and get better temp readings and easier cleaning of the bucket.

2) You will need the Data Logger which comes with WeatherLink or you buy WeatherLink and get a free Data Logger (whatever). WeatherLink is a quick way to get started with a web page. However, check out VWS. Lots of features. As I have been told by wise people here...take it a step at a time. Oh and get the Serial Data Logger...guaranteed no hassle with getting it to work and stay working.

1) If you go with everything on the roof you will need a FARS unit to get a better temp reading. FARS users ... would that work over a roof ?

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »
Another note on the rain collector.  Rooftop mounting may cause air turbulance to result in collector "undercatch".  Even if you mount it at least 7 feet above the roofline peak, the higher wind speeds will have the same effect.  Better to go low if possible as Garth said, and only place the anemometer up high using the supplied 40' cable (could be extended) or the remote repeater.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I phoned the tech support at Davis.  Picked up on the 3rd ring, with a real live human to help.
I called recently when I switched WL to my netbook.  I was so sure that I was just going to be put on hold initially, I started messing around with my computer.  I then realized someone was on the other end saying "hello?...hello?.....hello?"  Talk about taking me by surprise!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »
1) If you go with everything on the roof you will need a FARS unit to get a better temp reading. FARS users ... would that work over a roof ?

Good question Garth. I may be able to provide a more complete answer after this summer.

I finally found the location of the other VP2 station that drowns out my ISS signal.  It is an non-FARs ISS located about 5 ft above the N-S oriented roof peak on a garage.  The dark green asphalt shingles should provide maximum daytime heating. I couldn't envision a mounting location that should be more affected by the reflected heat, yet during the daytime from the late summer to now, my 24-hr FARS station mounted 6 ft above native vegetation, boulders, dead grass, and bare dirt will run about 2-3 degrees hotter.  Perhaps the relatively constant day time wind here acts as a FARs for that station.  At night, however, the situation reverses if there is little or no wind and no clouds. My station will consistently run 4 to 10 degrees colder than the roof-mounted one.

These results certainly weren't what I would have expected before I started tracking that other station's temperatures.

Dave
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »
I'm guessing that rooftop is radiating heat from the attic for hours after the sun goes down, and with little or no wind to sweep it away, it is affecting the temperature reading.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
I'm guessing that rooftop is radiating heat from the attic for hours after the sun goes down, and with little or no wind to sweep it away, it is affecting the temperature reading.

I doubt that the shingles alone have as much thermal inertia as some of the rocks and boulders around my station have, but, yes, maybe the interior of the garage acts as a heat reservoir through the night to keep the ISS warm.

On the otherhand, maybe the air ~20 ft off the ground (rough height of the ISS there) is warmer than that closer to the ground.  The night time outbound radiation here in the high desert on a relatively calm (less than 2-4 mph winds) is incredible. Surfaces such as the ISS's radiation shield become much colder than the surrounding air so fan-aspirated air is actually chilled passing over the shield.  I've tested them with an IR thermometer.   The bare sandy soil and even nearby boulders chill down rapidly on most nights

Then there is the possibility of night time, stratified air density currents bringing cold air down from the mountain with the coldest air closest to the ground. Higher winds could cause turbulance and mixing of the cold ground air with the warmer air above.

If the latter two factors are the cause of the conditions here (and I believe that they are), then these results might not be as applicable in England or other lower elevation, higher humidity sites.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline demma

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 04:02:18 AM »
New to this forum so just wanted to say hello,just ordered the Pro 2 shoud be with me in a few days so i will be asking a lot of questions.
Im located about 23 klm sw of Bristol in England.
                 Bye for now
                         Des :-)
Hi all,just a update nearly 3 weeks now and still not recieved my pro 2.
                               Cheers Des :sad:

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 05:34:19 AM »

Three weeks, :shock: where the heck is it coming from?

Alan
Alan

Offline demma

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

Three weeks, :shock: where the heck is it coming from?

Alan
Hi Alan,only about 150 miles as the crow flies i will give it  about another week then get the big stick out.
                     Cheers & Beers
                             Des

anything