Author Topic: Davis rain bucket got clogged.  (Read 6686 times)

Offline RioRanchoNMWX

• Rio Rancho, NM Weather
Davis rain bucket got clogged.
« on: October 22, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »
Not long ago we had a fairly good rain and as it rained, I noticed the rain total wasn't going up.  I thought maybe there was less rain than I assumed there was as it only went up to .001 and stopped.  The next day I went out and sure enough, it was almost full of water.  I looked down and there was hardly anything in the bucket BUT a few BB-sized seeds.  Seems the plastic grate allowed the seeds through that were unable to pass through the bottom of the bucket.  I was a bit dismayed to find that the strainer mesh was large enough to allow something through that was capable of blocking the hole below.  Would seem logical for the screen to have a smalled sieve size than the whole below...grrrr....

Has anyone substituted something else for their plastic Davis-provided strainer?  I got to thinking abut making something like that brass strainers they put in a garden hose or sprinkler.  In fact, something like that might work well other than what minute moisture would be held in the strainer due to it's viscosity.

Would appreciate any problems you have encountered and if you have substituted something else?

Thanks,

Lew

++++++++++++++++++++
Lew of Rio Rancho, NM Weather
www.weatherriorancho.com
www.rioranchowx.com
++++++++++++++++++++

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: Davis rain bucket got clogged.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »
....Has anyone substituted something else for their plastic Davis-provided strainer?  I got to thinking abut making something like that brass strainers they put in a garden hose or sprinkler.  In fact, something like that might work well other than what minute moisture would be held in the strainer due to it's viscosity.

Would appreciate any problems you have encountered and if you have substituted something else?

Thanks,

Lew

I would guess you'll find you want something larger than a garden hose screen simply because it will probably plug up pretty quick.  I found a mesh screen kitchen sink strainer at one of the local department stores.  It's large enough to buy some extra time between cleanings.  It probably does effect the readings somewhat but I really can't tell any major difference with or without it.

Here's mine:

Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:16:01 PM »
You might try http://tobaccovilleweather.com/

Same but different.

Offline RioRanchoNMWX

• Rio Rancho, NM Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »
Ah ha...there you go...my only concern is that the more screen there is, the more moisture that will be held in the screen and the more evaporation too.  I knew the garden hose strainer was too small and hadn't seen the screen like you have...  I am wondering if there isn't something out there like for sink drains or something that is bigger than the garden hose style but smaller than the kitchen sink style? 

Thanks!

....Has anyone substituted something else for their plastic Davis-provided strainer?  I got to thinking abut making something like that brass strainers they put in a garden hose or sprinkler.  In fact, something like that might work well other than what minute moisture would be held in the strainer due to it's viscosity.

Thanks,

Lew

I would guess you'll find you want something larger than a garden hose screen simply because it will probably plug up pretty quick.  I found a mesh screen kitchen sink strainer at one of the local department stores.  It's large enough to buy some extra time between cleanings.  It probably does effect the readings somewhat but I really can't tell any major difference with or without it.

Here's mine:

++++++++++++++++++++
www.weatherriorancho.com
www.rioranchowx.com
++++++++++++++++++++

Offline RioRanchoNMWX

• Rio Rancho, NM Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:35:57 PM »
You might try http://tobaccovilleweather.com/

Same but different.

Did you mean to add to your link as that brought me to the front page of your site but didn't see anything germane to this conversation?

BTW, I like your site design!

Lew
++++++++++++++++++++
www.weatherriorancho.com
www.rioranchowx.com
++++++++++++++++++++

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 08:58:13 PM »
Here is what I use.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:10:06 PM »
Sorry Lew, the site isn't mine but I have referred similar questions to it several times because Tom has done such a nice job. The drill down page is http://tobaccovilleweather.com/about.htm which will give the same screen that Chris has since added. By the way, Tom says to use a dremel tool to remove the handle but I found a wood chisel will break the spot welds very nicely. I have also found the rain gage can be calibrated to the 4" manual gage closely enough that I do not think rain splash is I problem. As far as snow, we really haven't had enough to form an opinion.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »
...  I am wondering if there isn't something out there like for sink drains or something that is bigger than the garden hose style but smaller than the kitchen sink style? 

Thanks!..

The only other thing I found which I used for about a year after the original Davis screen went MIA and before the current screen pictured was a stainless steel insert that fit in the bottom of the sink drain basket directly over the 1.5" drain pipe.  It had round holes drilled in it.  Problem with it was the drilled holes were nearly the same size if not a little larger than the hole in the bottom of the rain funnel.

One thing I might add that I've found during cold weather, ice and snow with the screens in combination with a heated bucket they tend to hold the snow up high enough that it takes longer to melt.  Last year I decided to pull out the strainer completely from December until at least March in this area.  Which works Ok for me as where my bucket is located there is nothing really to fall in it as the trees are all bare that are closest to it during that time.  So far I have not had much of a bird problem.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:36:09 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 01:26:55 AM »
Ah ha...there you go...my only concern is that the more screen there is, the more moisture that will be held in the screen and the more evaporation too.  I knew the garden hose strainer was too small and hadn't seen the screen like you have...  I am wondering if there isn't something out there like for sink drains or something that is bigger than the garden hose style but smaller than the kitchen sink style? 

In a dollar store I found a set of three similar screens, all different sizes. I currently am using the biggest but could easily drop down a size or two.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline RioRanchoNMWX

• Rio Rancho, NM Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »
Sorry Lew, the site isn't mine but I have referred similar questions to it several times because Tom has done such a nice job. The drill down page is http://tobaccovilleweather.com/about.htm which will give the same screen that Chris has since added. By the way, Tom says to use a dremel tool to remove the handle but I found a wood chisel will break the spot welds very nicely. I have also found the rain gage can be calibrated to the 4" manual gage closely enough that I do not think rain splash is I problem. As far as snow, we really haven't had enough to form an opinion.

Ahh...when you say handle, I am guessing it is one of the strainers with a handle used in the kitchen?  The advantage of the sink strainer as it doesn't have a handle.  Seem I need to pay a visit to the household department at the store.

Thanks!
++++++++++++++++++++
www.weatherriorancho.com
www.rioranchowx.com
++++++++++++++++++++

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:41:03 PM »

Thanks,

Lew

Let's see.... The funnel hole size is smaller than the strainer hole size. Drill out the funnel hole...

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 08:34:23 AM »
That might not be a good idea. Might let more water into the guage at a given time than the guage is capable of measuring. Especially during a heavy downpour.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »
Here is what I use.

One can buy something similar to the screen above at Big Lots for $1.50.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:50:05 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php